• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kennybo1988

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2020
    austin
    Anyone have certified instructor in the family who would be willing to teach me how to shoot once a month in a friends ranch in Elgin I want to get my LTC.
    Target Sports

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    "In your comment you mention being a cop. Am I to assume you’ve shot through windshields in real life or in training? I’ve shot through windshields,side windows, and back glass. My findings for 9 mm, 40 S&W, and 223 don’t mirror your comment."

^^^...This!
    I've trained and shot through more cars (windshields and side panels, etc.) than I can probably count. 9mm, .40, & .45's will all penetrate through almost ANY windshield, and generally with fairly good accuracy. Does that mean that EVERY round fired is going to perform as expected? NO. I wouldn't state my reputation on internet videos or "gun blod" articles, your often listening to "cyber experts"! Not a good idea.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have seen those also even shot at some myself.

there is a difference between a broken windshield propped up while someone stands over it shooting down at an angle to make the impact 90 degrees to the glass

and a windshield properly mounted in a vehicle at an angle designed to have the best deflection it can for aerodynamics.

Now make that a moving vehicle that creates its own upward air turbulence and penetration becomes an issue.

Real world vs shooting range can have a big impact on outcomes and I think people should be aware of this before they have to find out the hard way (heaven forbid).

My informal testing was done on windshields that were still in the vehicles. I actually "tested" this theory some years ago, and posted the pictures of the testing, when some so-called "expert" spouted off nonsense that a person needed at least a 40 caliber to penetrate a windshield of a vehicle. So I informally tested his scenario, with a 9mm, a 40S&W, a 45acp, and a 44 Mag, just for grins. Not one failed to penetrate the windshield, and would have easily, IMO, taken out the driver or passenger of the vehicle. (the vehicle was a four door 1975 full-sized Plymouth.) One FMJ 9mm even went as far as stopping inside one of the taillights after being shot through the windshield, and going through both the front, and rear seats! I tested at about 25 feet in front of the vehicle.

So it seems that "theory" of a 9mm won't get the job done is BS and been debunked more than a few times!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    About toward the last 1:35 of the video. Another good example of handgun rounds defeating a windshield from inside the vehicle

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Back in high school, I unexpectedly witnessed a .22lr penetrate a windshield from inside the car. And I have personally shot 9mm and 5.56 from inside a car through a windshield and hit targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RangerDoc275

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    Greater Austin, Texas
    I am prior military and I am a current instructor. I take a little issue with those saying that military and LE training doesn’t translate to civilians. There’s much to learn from folks that have pulled the trigger in anger. We haven’t fought a long-distance war in a long time. Most current combat is up close and personal.

That being said, of course not everything is going to transfer. The exception proves the rule, though.

One specific thing earlier in this thread stood out... One of the experts proclaimed that shooting from a vehicle is BS for a civilian. I guess they’ve never heard of a car jacking. That is a very up close and personal kind of shooting that could take place from a car.

Now I don’t think that car jacking is a common occurrence here in Texas, but it is at least not unexpected in some parts of the country. However, even for this scenario, avoidance is key. Stay out of probable places and your odds are much better.

That’s the beauty of training. You can, and should start with fundamentals and stress safety above all else. But once mastered, challenging yourself with more scenarios and techniques is great. We should be lifelong learners.

I am an “instructor“ but first and foremost I am a “student” of the gun. I want to learn something new as often as I can.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...One specific thing earlier in this thread stood out... One of the experts proclaimed that shooting from a vehicle is BS for a civilian. I guess they’ve never heard of a car jacking. That is a very up close and personal kind of shooting that could take place from a car....
    I don’t disagree with that statement. What the average military member, even average combat arms guy trains to for engaging from a vehicle is nothing like a carjacking scenario.

Now, when you get to the dudes who have RUT requirements for a mission set then it’s a different beast from tactics, techniques and procedures perspective...some of those transfer nicely, but this discussion gets pretty complex pretty quick.

LuckyLady

Lucky to live in the Great State of Texas
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Williamson County
    If you're in the North Austin area, I took some private lessons with a couple different instructors at Shady Oaks. Both were good. One of them was ex-Law Enforcement. But since they are 'contractors', they might not always be there.
    I also took private lessons at Lonestar Range & Academy. This range is in Florence, so not sure if it's too far for you. The range is outdoor and the owner, Tony, is an ex Marine. I took lessons from him personally. I really enjoyed working with him. Great guys that work the range there. I think (if I'm not mistaken) all ex-military. Always very helpful and will give pointers if you have questions.
    Here is the site if you're interested: https://www.LonestarRangeAcademy.com/

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I keep hearing this mentioned or talked about whenever the subject of trainers, or instructors is brought up, or someone is looking for one.

Ex-military or law enforcement qualifications. Would anyone care to give me a valid reason or explanation as to why they feel or think that someone that is former military, or LE is a qualifier for teaching civilian self defense shooting?

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    If you're in the North Austin area, I took some private lessons with a couple different instructors at Shady Oaks. Both were good. One of them was ex-Law Enforcement. But since they are 'contractors', they might not always be there.
    I also took private lessons at Lonestar Range & Academy. This range is in Florence, so not sure if it's too far for you. The range is outdoor and the owner, Tony, is an ex Marine. I took lessons from him personally. I really enjoyed working with him. Great guys that work the range there. I think (if I'm not mistaken) all ex-military. Always very helpful and will give pointers if you have questions.
    Here is the site if you're interested: https://www.LonestarRangeAcademy.com/

Welcome to the forum

Top Bottom