• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've got some knives I've had for decades, but I don't misuse them as beaters. That's probably why I still have them. I've got an old Buck 105 that I skinned my first deer with. The sheath is scratched up pretty bad, but the blade is razor sharp and ready to go. I did have an Uncle Henry many years ago that I misused and broke the tip off the blade. At that time, you could get a new knife if that happened. I did, but I kept the old one and ground the tip smooth. I used it for at least 10 years before I finally managed to lose it. Someone needed a good knife and I gave him the new one.
    Target Sports

wmg1299

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2014
    Boker Kalishnikov automatic.
    Beat to hell but keeps rocking on.

I've been curious about the Boker Kalashnikov knifes for awhile, but never heard much about their long-term reliability. I just went ahead and ordered one. I clearly have too much time to shop online when I'm snowed-in.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    68cb317ea940c5b7d7de8c1e16c57d8b.jpg

4bfdae0e62a44292169011be5433c452.jpg

Warning in advance, these knives are manufactured in China. The Rough Ryder brand is owned by Smokey Mountain Knife Works. I won’t post prices because I’m a dealer for these, Case, and Moore Maker.

I use the trapper above in the shop to cut up boxes. My dumpster fills up too fast unless I “deconstruct” the boxes from FFL transfers, etc. They come from the box with a razor edge and only take a few licks on a strop each day to keep it good and sharp.

Here’s a pic of a Moore Maker for attention.
    2649d83b9e3c12734096baa130832c3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'm a big fan of Moore Maker knives.
    I am as well. The one I carry everyday was engraved with our farm brand. Moore Maker was quick to tell me these blades were made by Case when I made the order.
    3253b79b506e5c82bcdbd9b3472f8167.jpg

I have never heard of Moore Maker knives. Those are pretty nice looking. What's the history or story behind them?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Kershaw Cryo II and a Kershaw Leek. Yes, I usually carry two folding knives. Sizes and blade profiles are drastically different so they are suited to different tasks. I've also got a Leatherman OHT that goes everywhere with me.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I am as well. The one I carry everyday was engraved with our farm brand. Moore Maker was quick to tell me these blades were made by Case when I made the order.
    3253b79b506e5c82bcdbd9b3472f8167.jpg

Company I used to work for gave us a Moore Maker Knife every year for a Christmas present with the company logo and year on it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Most of my knives are beaters. My favs are :
    Boker kalashnikov
    Kershaw blur
    Spyderco paramilitary
    Crkt home front
    Esee
    Morakniv

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I have never heard of Moore Maker knives. Those are pretty nice looking. What's the history or story behind them?

Moore Maker is out of Matador TX. They specialize in farm tools like fence pliers, “plamers”, and de-horners. They have their own line of knives as well. Their knives may be produced under license by other knife makers. Moore Maker owns the materials, jigs, and patents for those models.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Having a nice knife that's always razer sharp and looks clean/even is fantastic but what do y'all run for a beater? I feel like the beater knife is something that's overlooked. The knife that can pry, cut, and look pretty seems like a gold standard. What are y'all's beaters and why on earth did you happen to choose them?

My beater is good old s35vn steel and looks decently aesthetic. I've lost it in a hurricane, recovered it, dropped it off a 10 story drop, even let it slip into a bucket of paint. It's still kicking pretty well and sharpens up fairly quickly.

My beater:
    Get Both.
    Beater #1 Busse Combat. Some goofy name or another. ( I have several, all but one sees a lot of use)
    Expensive , tough as all get out, AND will stay razor sharp forever.

My other “beater” is a Strider.
    5145A57D-64D0-4727-A653-2A5E942157A9.jpeg
    Tough enough to cut open a truck door and still stay sharp enough to do surgery.

kittyhawk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NE Houston
    My Beater Ranch knife. Boker Strike Auto with D2 steel. For the $$ it’s a great knife. The Spring is Strong and Snappy, the blade holds a edge and really easy to sharpen. My only Gripe is the blade is Painted not anodized or ceracoated. But for a $45 knife I truly beat on it’s good to go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      3 MB · Views: 155
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      3 MB · Views: 159

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Ive got a Victorinox knife I've had for about 12 years or so. It's been beat to shit. Left on the top of the car, forgot about it, slid off and has minor "road rash". I sharpen it every 6 months or so and it's my favorite knife.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    My beater is a Hogue OTF. I keep it razor sharp and you would not know that it was a beater by looking at it. It is that tough. This picture is not of mine but it looks the same even though mine is well used. Move the thumb lever forward and the knife propels open, pull it back and it closes. Gawd, I love living in Texas where one is able to own this kind of machinery.
    8974.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom