• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sircharles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Spring texas
    Having a nice knife that's always razer sharp and looks clean/even is fantastic but what do y'all run for a beater? I feel like the beater knife is something that's overlooked. The knife that can pry, cut, and look pretty seems like a gold standard. What are y'all's beaters and why on earth did you happen to choose them?

My beater is good old s35vn steel and looks decently aesthetic. I've lost it in a hurricane, recovered it, dropped it off a 10 story drop, even let it slip into a bucket of paint. It's still kicking pretty well and sharpens up fairly quickly.

My beater:
    Guns International

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Having a nice knife that's always razer sharp and looks clean/even is fantastic but what do y'all run for a beater? I feel like the beater knife is something that's overlooked. The knife that can pry, cut, and look pretty seems like a gold standard. What are y'all's beaters and why on earth did you happen to choose them?

My beater is good old s35vn steel and looks decently aesthetic. I've lost it in a hurricane, recovered it, dropped it off a 10 story drop, even let it slip into a bucket of paint. It's still kicking pretty well and sharpens up fairly quickly.

My beater:

Sircharles,

My "beater" is an OLD Uncle Henry sheath knife with a 4.5 " blade that I found one afternoon while fishing at Oliver Lake up in NETX.
    (It had been laying on the ground so long that the sheath was rotted. I made a sheath for it.)

yours, satx

Sircharles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Spring texas
    Sircharles,

My "beater" is an OLD Uncle Henry sheath knife with a 4.5 " blade that I found one afternoon while fishing at Oliver Lake up in NETX.
    (It had been laying on the ground so long that the sheath was rotted. I made a sheath for it.)

yours, satx

I love it. I find most people get their beaters in the most interesting places.

That's a classic, what a find. How long have you had it?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I love it. I find most people get their beaters in the most interesting places.

That's a classic, what a find. How long have you had it?

Sircharles,

I know when I found it, as I was home on leave from AD during the 4th week of June 2004. - I literally stepped on it, while launching my jonboat.
    (I still couldn't tell you WHY that I knew that it wasn't just a stick, as it was just that CRUDDY & caked with river mud.)

That afternoon of fishing was lucky in 2 ways: I found the knife AND I caught all the channel cat & big crappie that I wanted to dress in just over 3 hours.
    (Oliver Lake used to be part of the Sulphur River & it has some REALLY big fish in it.= One afternoon about 25 years ago I saw an Alligator Gar that swam by my anchored boat & was damned near as long as my jonboat is.)
    NOTE: Oliver Lake also has some of the BIGGEST Cottonmouths that I've ever seen, too. = LOOK CAREFULLY before taking a step!!

yours, satx
    USA, Retired

Last edited:

Sircharles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Spring texas
    Sircharles,

I know when I found it, as I was home on leave from AD during the 4th week of June 2004. - I literally stepped on it, while launching my jonboat.
    (I still couldn't tell you WHY that I knew that it wasn't just a stick, as it was just that CRUDDY & caked with river mud.)

That afternoon of fishing was lucky in 2 ways: I found the knife AND I caught all the channel cat & crappie that I wanted to clean in just over 3 hours.

yours, satx
    USA, Retired

That's phenomenal. Stories like that make me rethink my knife purchasing. A "let the knife find you" mentality.

The fact that you found it in the literal mud makes it that much better. Truly Badass Satx

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    My EDC knife is a tool that is not used for prying, I carry pry bars for that. But it does a lot of stuff, well worn and in need of sharpening.
    I did abuse it this morning, used as an icepick on frozen water containers.

Attachments

• Knife.jpg
      Knife.jpg
      32.5 KB · Views: 123

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I guess we could apply the same logic to just about anything. Guns could be used for prybars, or shovels, or battering tools I suppose.

I had a friend that use to say, "If a hammer is the only tool you have, then everything looks like a nail."

Many years ago, I saw a guy use the butt of his revolver as a hammer, to tack up his target at the range once. I just watched and SMH in amazement.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    My ultimate "beater" was an old Buck 110. Carried that thing almost daily. Only reason I don't now, is the lack of usable blade.

I have an old Shrade/Uncle Henry LB7 I bought many years ago that is very similar in appearance and size to the Buck 110. Came with a belt sheath and I did carry if for years, until somehow I lost or misplaced the sheath. Too heavy to pocket carry.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I found a Benchmade Elishewitz fixed blade knife while mowing my front ditch area off the road in front of the house a couple of years ago. Kind of road-rashed and dirty, dull blade and some half-assed attempt at a custom paint job. But a little time in the shop cleaned it up pretty nicely. Must have been dropped out someone's vehicle going down the road I guess.

benchmade.jpeg

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    I found a Benchmade Elishewitz fixed blade knife while mowing my front ditch area off the road in front of the house a couple of years ago. Kind of road-rashed and dirty, dull blade and some half-assed attempt at a custom paint job. But a little time in the shop cleaned it up pretty nicely. Must have been dropped out someone's vehicle going down the road I guess.

View attachment 245047
    Been wondering what happened to that. Thanks for cleaning it up :)

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country

View attachment 245047
    Want to sell that knife?

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I wouldn't have a clue how you "run" a knife and I don't buy "beaters", use them or "run" them nor hang out with people who do.

Top Bottom