• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I feel like I've been slacking off a bit this summer. I've had a few good range sessions with 22s, shotguns and 9s but my ARs have been collecting dust. It's true ammo that costs going up has got my hoarding dialed up a bit. Naturally there's an abundance of Winchester ammo on shelves everywhere lately, at least in 308 and 223. I remember my last case purchase before covid hit was a 900rd box of USA3162W.

I read a lot about it before spending my hard earned cash. At the time it was a good nickel or dime more per shot than the usual suspects. Definitely not match grade cost but I'm admittedly a bargain shopper aka cheapskate. I have no problem with 55gr ammo like m193 but rarely has it shot better than 2 MOA for me. With this purchase I was hoping for more. As it happens I was pleasantly surprised.

Although unconfirmed, my research indicates this was manufactured by Nammo in Sweden. It features a 62gr OTM bullet crimped/sealed primers and necks. It boasts a MV of 3060 fps. A combination that I hoped would be the Holy Grail of ammunition. About 30 rounds in, I was sold.

Now in all reality it's more of a 1.25 MOA round but on a good day it will lay down a few sub moa 5 shot groups. Most of my rifles are 1:7 or 1:8 twists, so far it has been the most consistent throughout my arsenal aside from my 62gr Hornady sp reloads. Now a days I consider it a proving round much like Federal GMM in the 308.

I hate to say the saddest part of this story...if you don't already have some, you probably never will. Years ago it was rumored that sgammo bought it all up and it dried up and got bought up about as fast as they listed it. I regret not buying cases of it so I trickle it out one 30rd box at a time. The other downer...it's probably the best shooting Winchester ammo that they never made.

Here's a pic of today's groups shot from a Colt CRE 16" competition rifle.
    Texas SOT

Attachments

• IMG_20210911_175903231~2.jpg
      IMG_20210911_175903231~2.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 73

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Indeed. I bought some federal M80 and some Winchester M80 and it was the exact same lake city ammo just reboxed and sold for 2-5$ more per box. Been like that for at least a year. The Swedish ammo I mentioned here might have been a military contract over run but that's just heresay.

miniion26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2020
    Highlands
    Just after reading your post, went into the garage and "found" a long lost crate of Independence ammo in 5.56. Haven't seen that stuff for sale in ages.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Just after reading your post, went into the garage and "found" a long lost crate of Independence ammo in 5.56. Haven't seen that stuff for sale in ages.

Well, good news is you can call federal and return it for fresh m193. There were several lots that were over pressure and blew out primers. I ran some through a chronograph and a few rounds exceeded 3400 fps! Which is sad because it has beautifully annealed brass and the normal pressure rounds shot great. It was all Israeli contract ammo made with ATK components.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Indeed. I bought some federal M80 and some Winchester M80 and it was the exact same lake city ammo just reboxed and sold for 2-5$ more per box. Been like that for at least a year. The Swedish ammo I mentioned here might have been a military contract over run but that's just heresay.
    the sealed and staked primers indicate military specs

miniion26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2020
    Highlands
    Well, good news is you can call federal and return it for fresh m193. There were several lots that were over pressure and blew out primers. I ran some through a chronograph and a few rounds exceeded 3400 fps! Which is sad because it has beautifully annealed brass and the normal pressure rounds shot great. It was all Israeli contract ammo made with ATK components.
    I stand corrected. It looks like PMC ammo. Dunno why I was thinking Independence...

Attachments

• 20210913_100718.jpg
      20210913_100718.jpg
      796 KB · Views: 48
    Top Bottom