• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I originally cut my brisket in two, threw the point in the freezer without any prepping. I think it was 2 weeks ago. Tonight I had it in some hot water for about 3-4 hours thawing. Drained a little bit a juice and threw the flabby thing on my plate that I have to cut. (So gross!) Cutting was more of a struggle as I wasn't sure if it was marbling or fat. I'm using a cheap $20 fillet knife. (Better than my $60 knife) Seems to clog up with fat. Not even close as easy to cut, as youtube shows... But fairly quickly I accidentally breathed in some of the raw meat smell... Now it wasn't really pleasant before, but this seems to be a fair amount worse... I did gag a few times... It also had a salty smell to it, despite me adding none. More of the center was slightly frozen still.

Right now it's just sitting in the fridge with all the fat cut off. Wondering if it's wasted effort to season it. I cut some grey off, like I did the flat. I think it's more of a darker red color. I also wondered about my cooking time, if it's any good. It's about 1lbs 13oz. 2 hours just sounds like so little. Does it sound right? My own experimental version of burnt ends is the plan.
    The flat I made turned out pretty dang good. Got some compliments... But they were using BBQ sauce, which I thought was a bit of a lie? I never use BBQ on my dads brisket, which I replicated fairly well. Besides having a bit too much black pepper. I just eat it with it's seasonings, and dip it in the fat/juice that cooks off, if there is any.

LR;DR has my thawed point of brisket gone foul?

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Military Camp

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Sounds like you may have already started cooking it. At the very least, you may have kept it at the prime temp for bacteria to start growing.
    Also, warm meat tends to smell stronger than cold meat.
    A good all purpose meat rub,
    One small spice jar of each,,salt, pepper and onion powder.
    One smoked paprika
    One quarter of garlic powder.
    Mix them all together.
    Them mix in one quarter the total amount of brown sugar.
    Good on eggs too.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Thawing in hot water is considered a pretty big no-no, as the outer layers will get above the "safety zone" and can be there a while. When it comes to questionable meats, I've learned to trust my nose. If it's foul smelling, it's simply not worth the risk, IMO.
    Sorry to say, I'd chunk it.

if it smells a little off, i make tacos.
    cumin covers a multitude of sin.
    if it smells like a untreated wound i toss it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Best method for thawing frozen meat is putting it into the fridge for several days before you need to put it on the smoker. Second best way, is soaking it in cold water, and changing out the the water when it gets too cold.

Frankly, if it smelled bad enough to illicit a gag reaction, it's probably needs to be trashed. Safe rather than sorry.

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    Best method for thawing frozen meat is putting it into the fridge for several days before you need to put it on the smoker. Second best way, is soaking it in cold water, and changing out the the water when it gets too cold.

Frankly, if it smelled bad enough to illicit a gag reaction, it's probably needs to be trashed. Safe rather than sorry.
    I agree with the fridge method,it’s the only way to go !

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I agree with the fridge method,it’s the only way to go !

The fridge method is the best because it is a more controlled temperature, but the downside is, the larger the piece of meat, the longer it takes. Plus, the meat will never get below an unsafe temperature in the fridge. Using the fridge to thaw meat, does require taking into considerations of planning ahead.

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    The fridge method is the best because it is a more controlled temperature, but the downside is, the larger the piece of meat, the longer it takes. Plus, the meat will never get below an unsafe temperature in the fridge. Using the fridge to thaw meat, does require taking into considerations of planning ahead.
    I agree it’s time consuming ,however it allows you to trim the fat a lot easier when thawing using this method .

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    It's been sitting in the fridge for 8+ hrs. I was able to get within 5inches of it and I couldn't smell it... When I would try to get 1-2 inches, I could smell it, not that great smelling. (Maybe that's just raw meat) Not as bad at all as it was before. Last night, I was probably 1-2ft (I'm tall) away from it and kept getting wiffs of it and it was bad. Originally, when I was separating the brisket, I did catch some bad wiffs, when I was 1-2ft away. But it wasn't that bad.

Did putting it in the fridge had some sort of positive effect on it? It's not like it was airing out in the fridge. I had it cling wrapped on a plate... Maybe a dull morning nose or something.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    You chilled the bacteria, reducing its' activity. But it's also had that much longer to grow, even at reduced temperatures. Your hospital visit (or coroner) - but I've seen enough food poisoning in my lifetime to not want to do it again.
    Yeah once was enough for me.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    First of we mostly live on a diet of controlled rot be it meat or vegetables.

You can get just as sick on cooked food not held at the proper temperature as raw meat!

Safe food handling has certain know procedures. Its all pretty basic shit like washing your hands and surfaces touched by raw foods.

Hot & cold foods have a danger zone, learn it. Bacteria growth goes wild outside these guidelines!

3 years after leaving my trade I still get asked the same question about if something is safe. It impossible to tell without seeing something first hand. Remember heat destroys a lot of bacteria. Cooking a brisket has to hit a temperature to make it tender.

Some will say there is no such thing as a stupid question! I say certain questions can make one appear stupid. The internet has a lot of information available on it!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    @TexasRedneck pretty much hit it on the nail. Keeping food chilled prevents bacteria from growing, but once it comes up from a certain temperature, the bacteria starts to grow or multiply. Only cooking to certain temperatures will actively kill the bacteria.

Many times, the bacteria is already there from when you brought the food home. And there is bacteria in just about every food we consume. Some bacteria is good, some is bad, and some can be deadly.

Top Bottom