Target Sports

Thankful? Favorite charity to give back.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Church - which has found three local charities that are front line - no, or very little staff. Last year, we housed a homeless teenage mom. Not sure if she figured anything out, but helping her was visceral and real. Giving to things close to home is what I like to do.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Amazone smile goes to the local VFD
    USO
    Semper Fi Fund
    American Legion
    Toys for Tots
    St Baldricks Foundation (for friends daughter)
    National Ovarian Cancer foundation (for sister in law)
    and a couple of others I can't recall off the top of my head.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I generally recommend people find a small, local organization that does good work they can see for themselves. However, that being said, my Smile.Amazon passive giving goes to USA Shooting and I give directly to Mennonite Disaster Service.

Side Note - This thread, more than almost any other, is most assuredly not for throwing around insults, name-calling, or calling out charities you don't like. Right after I post this, I'm going to go through and clean it up.

ETA: Clean-up done. If you're butthurt because your insightful post was deleted, please feel free to keep it to yourself.

ETA2: I encourage folks to go back to their posts and edit them to include links to the charities you name. That would make it easier for people to read about the good causes you've so generously referenced. If anybody needs any help with that, just PM me.

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Since I cant edit anymore I'll add the links here.

Samaritans Purse.

International Fellowship of Christian's and Jews

Texas Scottish Rite Hospital

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    It's that time of year. Thanksgiving is past and Christmas is ahead. Time to give.

You may not be able to give money but you can give publicity to your favorite charity.

Again my favorites are;
    Samaritans Purse

And

International fellowship of Christian's and Jews.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Salvation Army has probably soured their image with many people because of their comments.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Young Heroes of the Guard

The annual "Young Heroes of the Guard" Toy Drive, a Texas State Guard community service event, benefits Texas children's hospitals, schools, battered women's shelters, and other organizations for children. The drive started in 2009 with the initial goal to provide toys to the children confined to hospitals in the Dallas/Fort Worth area in an effort to bring them comfort and joy during the holidays.

Since 2009, the toy drive's reach has expanded state-wide, encompassing thousands of children who are hospitalized over the holidays or otherwise don't have a place to truly call "home".

Will you join us in this mission of bringing happiness to Texas children? You can help by donating toys; hosting a collection box; or volunteering your time to sort, package, load, and deliver the toys. Helping the Texas State Guard complete this mission will brighten the day for thousands of Texas children.

If you want further information on this important and vital effort, please do not hesitate to contact us.

MSG Gately, John
    johnny.gately@txsg.state.tx.us
    972-800-9160

1638811996281.png

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    The Salvation Army is one of my favorites. They use a very very small amount of donations for advertising and overhead. They spend almost nothing (like a $14,000 a year salary) on their CEO and supposedly 96% of money donated actually goes toward charity. Money donnated to the Salvation Army does not go toward enriching their CEO as it evidently does in other charity organizations, by way of huge salaries to the CEOs, such as with UNICEF or The American Red Cross.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I give randomly.

I don't just give my money away to any ORG. Sometimes I give to random folks, friends and family, food cupboards, fire depts, toy drives and clothes drives.

This is what we normally do. My kids enjoy doing Toys for Tots.

The one exception is St Jude's. It was a favorite of my grandfather.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Convoy of Hope is a great place to give to. They have a fleet of trucks that take essentials to storm damaged areas. In 2020 my church was the largest donor to them. They do a great work and most of the money is used for their stated purpose as compared to many charities. Also, they get stuff to people on the ground in damaged areas that actually need it.

I seem to remember that prior to the big hurricane that hit the Carribean recently they had ships offshore ready to bring generators, water, diapers, food, etc to the islands. As soon as the storm passed they were able to help thousands.

Last edited:

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County
    I try and donate my time; I can't really afford to donate a lot of money to people or organizations. I used to do a lot of stuff with the homeless VA organizations and I was a volunteer friend to a resident at my old job. Those guys really need a lot of love and someone that just shows that they care.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The Salvation Army is one of my favorites. They use a very very small amount of donations for advertising and overhead. They spend almost nothing (like a $14,000 a year salary) on their CEO and supposedly 96% of money donated actually goes toward charity. Money donnated to the Salvation Army does not go toward enriching their CEO as it evidently does in other charity organizations, by way of huge salaries to the CEOs, such as with UNICEF or The American Red Cross.
    Maybe you should read this thread before donating to the Salvation Army the next time.

Top Bottom