APOD Firearms

Text appeared in my GFs Facebook account as a private message?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Thanks for replies.

Just talked to my GF, and she said her phone updated.

Just now told me that she also is having the same thing happen with her daughter.

So, ya'll are correct.
    I have my laptop "paired" with my smartphone for text messages.So if I get a text message on my phone the same message shows up on my laptop as well.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Ah, so-called 'smart phones'...not for me.

Why not?

Let's put it this way: Would you accept a drink at a bar you didn't see poured from start to finish into your hand?

That's what a 'smart phone' is...go ahead, drink up!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Ah, so-called 'smart phones'...not for me.

Why not?

Let's put it this way: Would you accept a drink at a bar you didn't see poured from start to finish into your hand?

That's what a 'smart phone' is...go ahead, drink up!
    Problem is, "dumb" phones are pretty much obsolete now and most of the networks won't even support them anymore.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Is a smart phone that much different from a laptop/computer?
    In many ways, yes.

Most folks keep their cell with them at all times, but not their laptops/computers. Folks are glued to their phones - day and night, at meals, driving, walking, etc - it's an addiction that companies are more than happy to feed.

The cell phone has GPS and most apps (even those that don't need GPS) collect (travel history, stores you visit based on location, how long you were there...) that data as well as anything else they can pull from your phone to build a database. This database isn't very different from the ones websites generate from cookies (the reason the EU established enhanced privacy laws), but today more and more people are using a phone/tablet vs a laptop/desktop.

Vz purchased Aol and Yahoo! to get access to their user base, their advertisers and how their apps are designed. They have since sold them off as the future is mobile (having taken what they want).

One of the main goal of apps is to keep you engaged as long as possible. The more you are online, the more advertisers will pay that platform for displays. The collection of your detailed information (location, likes, dislikes, routes you take, items you search for, etc), mean that advertisers can target their ads based on interest, demographics, et al., with a better chance of a click through/engagement. Look at your email program/app - Yahoo, Google, etc. "read" your emails and target ads based on them. Looking at taking a trip - you'll see an increase in travel companies, destinations, etc.

Check the permissions on your devices to see what you are sharing and who (if they'll say) they share the data with.

Use a VPN!

Do you have a home network with 'smart devices' - Alexa, Nest, etc? If so, they are collecting your info and snooping the network. Isolate them from network you use for you computer/phone/tablets.

Use apps that respect your privacy whenever possible - which is getting harder and harder every day.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    "worse" is a relative term. It depends on what precautions you take on your computer vs cell phone.

If you live your life via your phone and it's apps (social media, maps, shopping, restaurants, movie tickets...) and don't take precautions - use guest wifi at restaurants/stores, don't use unique passwords for sites, don't check app builders to make sure they aren't a clone, don't verify URLs, don't use VPN, have your setting so that said apps can track you "for a better experience", etc, then I'd say the odds are that more info will be collected about you than from your home computer.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    When I was forced to get a smart phone, I went into settings and turned off all of the apps I don't or wouldn't use. Which was almost all of them.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I purge every app I possibly can off my phone the day I get it - including FB and the like. I do use a facebook product (Instagram) but I don't do any messenger apps on my phone other than the SMS Text message app. I don't like data collection - its bad enough what Google amasses, I don't want a larger footprint than necessary. I don't log in to websites typically from mobile devices - I don't do forums / facebook aside from on my PC.

Top Bottom