• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I do not recall my score. But after 45 rounds I had a perfect shooting score going and the instructor said I passed but needed to shoot the last 5. So I one handed rapid fire. Two in the chest, one in the head, one in the inner thigh and one in the groin. Instructor laughed and said "That Is how every woman's target looks, one in the balls"
    Target Sports

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I did not shoot at my TX LTC course. Military proficiency exemption.

To get that - did you just have to show M9 qualification on your DD214, or did you have an MOS specific exemption? My dad has been dragging ass on his LTC, but if he doesn't have to take the time to do the shooting portion maybe I can spur him into getting his sooner. I'll hafta have him double check his 214 to see if it indicates pistol qualification, but he did have to shoot quals with both the 1911 and the M9 during his time in the AF.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    To get that - did you just have to show M9 qualification on your DD214, or did you have an MOS specific exemption? My dad has been dragging ass on his LTC, but if he doesn't have to take the time to do the shooting portion maybe I can spur him into getting his sooner. I'll hafta have him double check his 214 to see if it indicates pistol qualification, but he did have to shoot quals with both the 1911 and the M9 during his time in the AF.

I took a copy of my M9 qualification form that the USAF uses.

Here’s what the code says

Sec. 411.1881. EXEMPTION FROM INSTRUCTION FOR CERTAIN PERSONS. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter, a person may not be required to complete the range instruction portion of a handgun proficiency course to obtain a license issued under this subchapter if the person:
    (1) is currently serving in or is honorably discharged from:
    (A) the army, navy, air force, coast guard, or marine corps of the United States or an auxiliary service or reserve unit of one of those branches of the armed forces; or
    (B) the Texas military forces, as defined by Section 437.001; and
    (2) has, within the 10 years preceding the date of the person's application for the license, completed as part of the person's service with the armed forces or Texas military forces:
    (A) a course of training in firearm proficiency or familiarization; or
    (B) a range qualification process for firearm usage.
    (b) The director by rule shall adopt a procedure by which a license holder who is exempt under Subsection (a) from the range instruction portion of the handgun proficiency requirement may submit a form demonstrating the license holder's qualification for an exemption under that subsection. The form must provide sufficient information to allow the department to verify whether the license holder qualifies for the exemption.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/GV/htm/GV.411.htm#411.171

Last edited:

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    (Wow!). Gotta be a story behind that. After what I witnessed, I had wondered if they ever “fail” anybody.
    A girl in a group before me that took forever because they had to be coached in every direction, failed.

An eastern Combloc immigrant next to me shooting was a bit scary but passed. We had to wait on him every time.
    It's surprising how many people seem to just stumble in to the shooting portion without any prior experience or understanding of firearms.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I watched an 80 year old man do it & 30 yo fail!
    At a formal bullseye class I attended, the guy standing next to me (at least for one portion; we moved around) was 94 years old. I did OK but he made me look like a rank beginner. The day after the class ended, we had breakfast before he flew home. Utterly fascinating guy, not the least of which because at 94 years of age he was still trying to improve.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I had wondered if they ever “fail” anybody.
    Yeah, they do. I remember my first CHL class back in the 1990s. Three people failed the shooting portion but were allowed a re-shoot. I took some time while one group was shooting to assist one young lady who had failed. We went over to a safe corner and I took her through some basics with some dry-firing. On her re-shoot, she improved markedly, getting everything on paper and passing by a good margin.

The paragraph above is not a boast about my teaching skills. It's meant to reinforce the fact that even the barest minimum of training is incredibly valuable to new shooters. I had literally 10 minutes with her and I got to see the "Oh, that's how to do that!" lightbulb go off over her head at least a couple of times. Any shooter with decent teaching skills could have done the same for her.

I guess it's a subject for another thread but I can't help thinking what a shame it is that so many first time gun buyers don't want or understand the need for some basic training.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Does any LTC instructor here require the students to start from a low position? Has anyone here ever attended an LTC class where this was required?

Our instructor recommended it for one woman, but nothing more than that.

He was an interesting instructor, also a competition pistol shooter.
    After shooting the course the required way, our instructor also let me shoot it what he described as the "USPSA way":
    4 10-rd mags, first mag to be shot from the 15 yard line
    next two mags from the 7 yard line, and last two from the 3 yard line, all shot for time & score. I shot 249/250 in 21.3 seconds. Definitely not proud of that result; I'm no great shooter, just saying it was way more fun than the required method.

I guess it's a subject for another thread but I can't help thinking what a shame it is that so many first time gun buyers don't want or understand the need for some basic training.

Agreed. I'd like to see more marketing emphasis on getting training for n00bs at the point of purchase. Get ranges to offer a 50$ add-on to your gun purchase which gets you an hour at the range, with an instructor and a video emailed to you showing you at the range shooting and doing some dry-fire drills so you have something to remember, showing you how to practice. I'm not a marketing guy, but stuff like that.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I note that he starts all shooting with the pistol below his line of sight, finger off the trigger. (It's also generally pointed over the berm, but that's not my point. :))
    Is that a problem for you?

Disclaimer: I only watched about 4rds shot in 1st course.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    A girl in a group before me that took forever because they had to be coached in every direction, failed.

An eastern Combloc immigrant next to me shooting was a bit scary but passed. We had to wait on him every time.
    It's surprising how many people seem to just stumble in to the shooting portion without any prior experience or understanding of firearms.
    not really, we have seen so many stupid people.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Is that a problem for you?
    I'm not sure which observation you're questioning, so I'll address both.

Finger off the trigger is fine by me, anytime.

Pointed over the berm is less fine. It's not a hard and fast rule because no one should be shooting over the berm, anyway. But I know plenty of places where over the berm there are subdivisions and other places bullets shouldn't be flying. Heck, I've known an isolated club to get in trouble because a cow downrange got shot when a shot went over the berm and the odds against that are astronomical. Generally speaking, I like to see people point their guns in the safest direction possible so that if they have a negligent discharge it'll go someplace where there's nothing to damage. Those folks on this board who have seen me have a negligent discharge also know the bullet went into the ground 15 feet in front of me. Ask Moonpie if you want confirmation of that.

That doesn't mean that a ready firearm should never be pointed up. It just means every situation is different. Sometimes there's simply no safe direction to point a firearm and we just live with it and do the best we can.

As for that video clip, since I don't know where it was shot I can't pretend to know the best answer. I can just say, on general principle, I like to see ready positions that point down rather than up.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Instructor looked at my target. One ragged hole, except for one hole near the bottom of the target.

He raised his eyebrows and looked at me. I discreetly nodded at the guy next to me.

I had seen the guy next to me take aim and shoot at my target once before realizing he was on the wrong target. He appeared to never have fired a gun before.

Instructor just chucked and did not say a word.

I had that happen to me too. I just STFU and it was scored a 249. Even instructor knew, as the off hole was 45 and I was shooting 9mm...

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    When re-qualifying with the DPS.....

If you went to low ready between shots.....you were expected to decock or flip your safety on.......I was one of the few who stayed on target.......The DPS don't jack around when qualifying LTC instructors......at least the times I've shot with them.....any instructors pulling the crap we see from students would be dismissed immediately and a couple were............

and in the video, the first shots were fired without eye protection.......

GRAYWOLF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    My instructor only counted holes outside the circle (8 circle, I think...been a few years)...you could miss the target completely and it wouldn't count against you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom