Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yeah, once I got good at splitting firewood with a 9lb maul, the sledgehammer at the renfest was always an easy win. It was fun seeing my friends (all of whom were raised in the city, many in apartments) trying to figure out how the hell I did that.
    I'd like to find a petite girl who'd let me teach her good technique then use her to hustle the college jocks who are routinely humiliated by that game. :)

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Perhaps a bit off-topic, but are there any Renfests anywhere that still maintain the bawdy atmosphere of 30+ years ago?
    Ben if you want bawdy go to the TRF and camp. Stay up all night and sleep during the day. One thing I will say the bodies of bawdy wenches have define super sized in those 30 years.

My last year at TRF was 2018. A few years be for they started saying it was now a fantasy festival.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben if you want bawdy go to the TRF and camp. Stay up all night and sleep during the day. One thing I will say the bodies of bawdy wenches have define super sized in those 30 years.

My last year at TRF was 2018. A few years be for they started saying it was now a fantasy festival.
    I just miss when the Chain Mail Girls wore mini-dresses of loosely-woven chain mail, shoes...and nothing else. And when the girls going in the dunk tank were young, pretty, and dressed in a t-shirt...and nothing else.

I know the wolf runs basically all disappeared by 30 years ago; I'm not hopeful that such things will ever return. However, there was a time when renfests were pretty, shall we say, "instinct and impulse driven" by both genders in equal measure. That sort of stripping down of societal niceties and letting everyone have a safe space to loosen (not discard, just loosen) the shackles of modernity was a refreshing break from the perfect manners I had to maintain in my old job and my daily life.

When everyone knew that walking through those gates meant you were, in modern terms, broadcasting informed, blanket consent to live for a few hours without so much as a nod to what later was called "political correctness" those gatherings were a good deal more special.

I fear that by now they've just become a costume party in the woods. I suppose I'll know more after I attend this year for the first time in a very long time.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Have you ever been inside the Feast Hall? There I’d a mural on the back wall that was a depiction of the renfest very early days. If you know what you are looking at you can actually see real people from those early days.

Traffic in and out of there should be much better. I would advise you to go in November once it has finally cooling off some. If you really want to people watch park yourself at the Sea Devil. Barbarian weekend tends to be the best weekend to see the hot bodies wearing very little. If it’s like when I worked there they will congratulate out front between the privy and the ship. Would have advice I seem too remember that most of the benches & seat was removed and only seating is on the decks. But remember I left 7 seasons ago.

Top Bottom