• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    This is one of a series of threads to help educate Texans on the ins and outs of legally carrying a handgun without a Texas License to Carry.

Method of Carry

THE BILL WILL NOT BE EFFECTIVE LAW UNTIL SEPTEMBER 1, 2021

The Texas Permitless Carry Act (HB 1927, 87th Regular Session) makes changes to Texas Penal Code 46.02 that will enable an eligible person to carry a handgun on or about his or her person without an LTC. Another thread discusses eligibility, this thread is for the ‘how’. There will be another thread on the ‘where’, but that part of HB1927 is a real mess as far as getting all the changes made to the various codes and then making sense of it.

Fortunately, the code changes for method of carry are mostly straight forward. TPC 46.02 UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS will start off very, very vague, simply stating “carry on or about his or her person”. Seems straightforward, right? Not so fast. A little further in, TPC 46.02 gets real specific:

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person ’s control at any time in which:​
    1. the handgun is in plain view, unless the person is 21 years of age or older or is licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and the handgun is carried in a holster; or
    2. the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating; or​
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm​

What this means is that if you are armed and, in a vehicle or watercraft AND any part of the handgun is visible to anyone, then the handgun has to be in a holster. The question that comes to mind is does that holster have to be on your person or can it be in a holster that is attached to the car? Truthfully, I do not know. Clear as mud.

Let’s move on to see what else the code will say. A new sub-section, (a-5) is added that does provide some more clarity. This sub-section is NOT limited to when you are in a vehicle or watercraft.

(a-5) A person commits an offense if the person carries a handgun and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place. It is an exception to the application of this subsection that the handgun was partially or wholly visible but was carried in a holster.​

Again, this section deals with plain view of any part of the handgun, and anyone can see it. The LTC world refers to this as open carry, and what it says is that if somebody else can see any part of your handgun, it has to be in a holster. The code does not specify belt holster, shoulder holster, ankle holster, purse holster, thigh holster, bra holster, retention holster, etc. It clearly is silent other than being in a holster of some type. I think that just abut covers it for plain view/open carry, so in summary if somebody else can see part or all of your handgun, it’s got to be in a holster.

Strangely enough, a method for concealed carry isn’t really addressed for those exercising their right to carry without a permit. If nobody else can see it, then method appears to be your choice. Remember TPC 46.02 says on or about a person, so bags/purses/fanny packs, appear to be fair game. But not in your baby’s diaper…the kiddo isn’t 21 years of age. If you so choose to carry off-body, make sure that whatever that off-body method is fully conceals the handgun, AND remains in your control.
    Gun Zone Deals

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Is the method any different than carrying with an LTC?

For the LTC holder, HB1927 aligns the open carry language with permitless carry by striking the verbiage related to shoulder or belt in reference to holster. For concealed carry, I believe there is no change.

So I think the overall answer to your question is no.

Last edited:

gamboolman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Spring, Texas - Retired
    Toddnjoyce,

Thank you for your explanations - much appreciated.

ms gamboolgal and I have had our CHL'd since Texas made them available in the middish 90's and we will keep renewing our LTC's.

Please we need your or the Forum members help to address our question below.

Question - for the scenario carrying another / spare pistol in our vehicle :

We would have any pistol that is not on our person or in ms gamboolgas purse in a holster or have a Trigger Guard over the trigger as we both EDC G-26's, and the spare pistol(s) would be out of sight / concealed in the vehicle.

My understanding is that the above scenario is legal?

Is that correct ?

Thanks for your help

gamboolman.....

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Toddnjoyce,

Thank you for your explanations - much appreciated.

ms gamboolgal and I have had our CHL'd since Texas made them available in the middish 90's and we will keep renewing our LTC's.

Please we need your or the Forum members help to address our question below.

Question - for the scenario carrying another / spare pistol in our vehicle :

We would have any pistol that is not on our person or in ms gamboolgas purse in a holster or have a Trigger Guard over the trigger as we both EDC G-26's, and the spare pistol(s) would be out of sight / concealed in the vehicle.

My understanding is that the above scenario is legal?

Is that correct ?

Thanks for your help

gamboolman.....
    It is legal now under Motorist Protection Act. Must be concealed if a handgun but it doesn't have to be in a holster.

gamboolman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Spring, Texas - Retired
    Thanks Rotor,

That confirms what we thought, and in fact have been doing all these years. We just want to be legal.

Now another question if you don't mind.

We have registered / stamped NFA SBR's ( 9mm Carbine(s) ) that we carry in our vehicle(s). We keep them in a soft case but the case is not normally concealed. We keep hard copy of the approved Stamp and paperwork in the vehicles and have electronic copies on the iPhones.

I believe it is legal? But would like confirmation from the more knowledgeable folks.

Thanks for your help.

gamboolman...

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Thanks Rotor,

That confirms what we thought, and in fact have been doing all these years. We just want to be legal.

Now another question if you don't mind.

We have registered / stamped NFA SBR's ( 9mm Carbine(s) ) that we carry in our vehicle(s). We keep them in a soft case but the case is not normally concealed. We keep hard copy of the approved Stamp and paperwork in the vehicles and have electronic copies on the iPhones.

I believe it is legal? But would like confirmation from the more knowledgeable folks.

Thanks for your help.

gamboolman...
    I am not a lawyer but long guns do not need to be concealed. If technically a SBR is a long gun, well...
    Perhaps a better legal authority will step up here.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I am not a lawyer but long guns do not need to be concealed. If technically a SBR is a long gun, well...
    Perhaps a better legal authority will step up here.

Only handguns need conceal. Everything else is true CC. This is current law. Not sure how PLC changed things.

Random Vato

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2021
    Austin
    What about spare magazines? As far as I know the law does not mention anywhere how to carry them. Have there been any court cases, or anything else to address this?

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I carry mine next to my left testicle A mite slow to deploy, but damn the stanky value adds 30% to caliber.
    This why I read TGT. Where else would I learn about this 30% rule. That could give my 9mm the impact of a 40 S&W. If I don't bathe then maybe the 45acp has met its match.

Also common sense says if your not wearing on yourself in the car. Put it away out of sight. Another plus for the LTC is if I am caring concealed and you see my gun, well I was just open caring for a bit.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Now another question if you don't mind.

We have registered / stamped NFA SBR's ( 9mm Carbine(s) ) that we carry in our vehicle(s). We keep them in a soft case but the case is not normally concealed....
    See my comment below Ken’s response. He technically correct and I’m going to expound a bit.

Right, long arms do not have any regulation on them in TX and a SBR is still classified as a long arm.

Good answer, peeling the onion a bit, the language used in TPC 46.02 refers to a handgun in plain view. A cased handgun (or any type of firearm for that manner) is not in plain view. The case may be, bur so long as no part of the weapon is visible to the naked eye, then the all is well.

What about spare magazines? As far as I know the law does not mention anywhere how to carry them. Have there been any court cases, or anything else to address this?

In Texas there is no regulation of magazines; they are neither a handgun nor any other type of firearm. Having said that, if a magazine were in plain view during a traffic stop, an LEO could query whether there are guns in the vehicle and, if so, he could secure them for the duration of the stop unless you’re being arrested.

An LEO can also ask that question without seeing anything at all related to a firearm from an officer safety perspective.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I reckon people taking advantage of constitutional carry, should inform officers that they are carrying, during a traffic stop.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I have a question regarding how a person with an LTC must legally carry a concealed handgun regarding a holster or not? Is there anywhere in the statute that addresses how a handgun must be carried. As in, a holster, a pocket, etc. I've heard lots of different answers and have tried to find it on line but have had no luck.
    Basically, can I carry a concealed handgun in my pocket or under my belt with a "hip grip", etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've looked for it on line but have not been able to find it. Thanks for any help.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    You can carry it anyway you want concealed in a holster or not. And can carry open anyway as long as it is in a holster.

Top Bottom