Join TexasGunTalk

Texas LTC Holder Shoots Robbery Suspect

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by Frank59, Jan 13, 2020.

1. JCC

JCC Active Member

May 1, 2018
    US
    That sounds risky.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jordanmills, seeker_two and BRD@66 like this.
  2. BillFairbanks

BillFairbanks Well-Known

May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    So does going to a barbecue in Dallas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2016
    The train of conversation in this thread is gonna drive me to drinking.

4. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    As I mentioned earlier, there are some exceptions to “your property or property you control”. Generally speaking, if you are hunting with a legal means of take, and by a legal method and all the things that go with legally hunting, you may not require a LTC for a handgun that’s openly carried.

Concealed carry while hunting starts to cross some
    wires in the various codes, and it can range from not recommended without an LTC to prohibited without an LTC depending on the type of land you’re on and who’s asking.

Somewhat similar to a competitive shooting event, where you’re not required to have an LTC to participate, but if you’re not participating, then it’s not legal.

5. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There is no such thing as a "legal limit". Even DWI doesn't have one. .08%is the BAC at which everyone is presumed to be intoxicated for the purpose of DWI. However, it isn't a "limit". A person can be convicted below .08%, even at ZERO (drugs, which have no BAC).

There are two definitions of intoxication for DWI. Carrying while intoxicated has no defined definition in 46.03. A LTC holder will likely never be offered an intoxilyzer, and the same criteria for a DWI who refused to blow would be used.

There is no proscription in the Penal Code against carrying while consuming alcohol.

6. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    per penal code 46.15(b), section 46.02 (which proscribes the carry of handguns unless on your own property or property under your control) does not apply to a person lawfully hunting if the weapon (handgun) is one commonly used in hunting.

It is not. Here is the rundown;

1. 46.02 says you cannot carry a handgun on or about your person UNLESS
    a) you are on your own property or property under your control
    b) you are inside of or enroute to a motor vehicle or watercraft you own or is under your control.

2) Penal Code 46.15 (b) states instances when 46.02 does not apply. None of those are "if the owner tells you it's OK to carry"

Frank59 and toddnjoyce like this.
  7. robertc1024

robertc1024 Moderator Staff Member Moderator TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Thanks for expanding on what you talked about earlier. I did not realize that.

8. Glenn B

Glenn B Active Member TGT Supporter

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    All the legal where you can & when you can carry nonsense aside, nice to see the guy shot straight and got one of them and that the other two fled without killing or harming any of the party goers. Anyone who might seriously think this was a failure, on the part of the good guy who shot the bad guy, should rethink it.

9. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict Lifetime Member

May 25, 2009
    So which part of the penal code allows one to carry a handgun, concealed in a range bag and then visit and shoot at a local range? You know, a place owned by someone else, where you don't have any control of the premises, but with their permission you bring your concealed pistol in and then shoot it, regardless of LTC status?

10. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    46.15 (b) handgun shooting is a lawful sporting activity where handguns are commonly used.

But, if there is a provision that allows you to carry on someone else's property simply on their permission, I'd love to read it.

toddnjoyce likes this.