• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Infidel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    Dallas
    :cool:I meant to get around to getting my Texas driver's license, I just haven't had the time lately. Has anyone else from out of state done this with relative ease? For some reason the DPS site kind of sucks. I assume I just need a copy of my lease and a couple forms of ID? Can't buy anything down here with my Ohio license, so I need to get on this.
    Target Sports

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Easy, you turn in your old license they send a copy to Austin then destroy it. Then issued you the paper TX license, 3-8 weeks later you get your actual license. Like 50 bucks. Just prepare to wait in line....

Infidel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Easy, you turn in your old license they send a copy to Austin then destroy it. Then issued you the paper TX license, 3-8 weeks later you get your actual license. Like 50 bucks. Just prepare to wait in line....

Awesome! Sounds simple enough, I didn't know if I had to be in Texas XX amount of days to be able to get my new license.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    My wife came to Texas to marry me over 11 years ago. She had a Montana license. Never got a Texas license. Guess we'll have to get her one sometime. It'll be the first one with her new name on it.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Awesome! Sounds simple enough, I didn't know if I had to be in Texas XX amount of days to be able to get my new license.

We don't play that way.

If you move to Texas with intent to reside here, you can get a license the first minute you step foot here.

We do have a law that says you have so many days after moving in that requires you to get your license changed to a Texas-issued one.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    The only thing I didn't like is that it seemed to me you had to register your car first before you could get a license. That crap cost me 400 bucks for our 2 cars. The hardest part of getting the DL was waiting for the hour it took in the station. Try to avoid a Friday if you can...we are waiting on the plastic now, this paper copy is just a joke, it's a full sheet of paper. Mine is about worn out and it's only been a month.

Infidel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    Dallas
    The only thing I didn't like is that it seemed to me you had to register your car first before you could get a license. That crap cost me 400 bucks for our 2 cars. The hardest part of getting the DL was waiting for the hour it took in the station. Try to avoid a Friday if you can...we are waiting on the plastic now, this paper copy is just a joke, it's a full sheet of paper. Mine is about worn out and it's only been a month.

That's one thing I'm trying to avoid, since my tags are good until December. I should be buying a new truck here in the next couple months, so honestly I don't really want to transfer everything over yet.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    TxDPS - Apply for Driver License/ID card

Note the top section then the section further down for people with valid out of state licenses.

My tips:
    Make sure you have all the docs. I had a COPY of my social Security Card and had to go to McKinney and apply for a new one and bring back the paperwork.

Also, there is a HUGE difference in wait times between offices. The one at Parker/Custer in Plano is OUTRAGEOUS. The McKinney office was better, one further from the urban areas would be better.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Richardson
    TxDPS - Apply for Driver License/ID card

Also, there is a HUGE difference in wait times between offices. The one at Parker/Custer in Plano is OUTRAGEOUS. The McKinney office was better, one further from the urban areas would be better.

So true, to avoid standing go early, I basically got there at 5:30am on a Friday and I was the 4th in line but I was out the door in 5min once they open. goodluck!!

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch

The pamphlet they sent me in the mail said Registration was a requirement for getting the license. I didn't really care since both had to be done, but the woman at the Waxahachie office also denied a women right behind me in line because she didn't have a copy of her registration..

We did ours in Waxahachie on the way to Austin, they let everyone go to lunch at the same time and had 1 person working over the lunch hour, such BS, but we would have had that long of a wait in Carrollton anyway..

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I was also under the impression that vehicles had to be registered before DLs were issued. First question the nice lady asked when we went for our DLs. I suppose you could say you didn't have a vehicle; but I wouldn't want to be 'xplainin' to the good occifer why I had been driving around Texas for 2,3,4 months without bothering to register my vehicle.(Especially if you are caught speeding through the work zone on 1431 in Cedar Park! ;) )

And they don't like 'copies' of documents. Fortunately, I have a state certified copy of my birth certificate and original SS card(from 1969!).

Top Bottom