they’re pretty similar

F763E1E5-0D3A-49D3-9B4F-FC1393C51E2F.jpeg

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Forgas Taurus, SA bought the Beretta plant in Brazil, including the machining equipment and the legal rights to continue building some of the Beretta models, including 92's. They also got many of the employees.

leVieux

And the PT92's were not horrible pistols - nor were their Smith & Wesson clones. Everything they've made since has been utter trash at worst, and questionable at best until their most recent pistols - which are slooooowly getting Taurus' reputation from the landfill to compost pile. A couple more generations of pistols that don't have frames/triggers/slides that just crack in half, or barrels with poorly cut rifling, and maybe they'll be on-par with where Ruger has slipped too of late. I'd take a G2 / G3 Taurus over a Kel Tec, but that's not saying much.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I've owned several, never a problem. Not a single problem. Own all sorts of nice stuff, often carry a Taurus.

leVieux

You are one of the lucky ones. My personal experience with the Taurus polymer pistols is far less pleasurable.

Back when the Millennium Pro was released, the grand dad who raised me decided to re-evaluate his carry gun. He was retired corrections/LE, from the era where revolvers were the norm. He carried a 5-shot Smith & Wesson Chief's Special everywhere in his pocket. Then our normally quiet area started seeing a wave of home invasions and multiple-assailant attacks at pharmacies and stores, especially of older folks (pills & cash)

He wasn't sold on the notion of a pistol without a manual safety, like the Glock I was carrying then. He wanted a small gun with higher capacity. I took him to a gun shop and we looked at options. The Taurus PT111 went home with him. The first of a few of the Taurus pistols in a string he'd get - not because they were good, but because they were terrible. That first gun - when we got it home, he had me take it apart and clean & lube it, and show him how it came apart.

What we found was the ejector was busted, right from the factory. OK - back to the gunshop, since you couldn't just order parts from Taurus. The gun shop swapped that gun for the Titanium version, even Steven for his trouble.

That gun turned out to have a poorly made barrel - literally at 21 feet it looked like a shotgun blast - 10 inch groups were the best anyone who shot it could do. It was returned to Taurus, they replaced it.

Got the new gun. Took it shooting - it shot better. Was a bitch to take apart and reassemble, but it worked and was more or less reliable. On the third outing shooting that gun - the damned trigger shoe cracked at the trigger pin on one side. That was enough for the old man, he went to the gun shop and bought a Glock 26 that was malfunction free. He carried it in his front pocket in a DeSantis leather holster.

A couple years later I gave him a CZ-75 Compact as a more fitting nightstand gun that he'd occasionally carry too, which was also completely reliable.

The only time he went to a range, or out in the woods shooting was when I'd take him. I was there with him for every round put through those Taurus' and saw first hand how poorly made they were and how much of a pain in the ass they could be. Certainly none of those were worth betting one's life on.

I had an employee & friend purchase a Taurus G2C a couple years ago, right after they came out. He bought it because it was $189 on sale, and he wanted something smaller than his M&P 9 full size for carry. We went shooting a couple times and I got to shoot that gun and watch others shoot it. My impressions on the G2's were better - the polymer felt better - like a higher quality, different polymer, the slide machining was better (still using cast slides vs forged though) and his gun ran *almost* flawlessly, there were a couple hiccups that could have been ammo or shooter induced failures, as we were trying various loads out to see what it would eat, and how it ran with carry ammo.

It was a far cry better than the Millennium Pro / PT111 pistols, though it is essentially the evolution of them. They might indeed be upping their quality - just like Fiat/Chrysler *might* be building more reliable vehicles than Daimler-Chrysler, or just plain Chrysler before them. I'd recommend a Taurus over a Hi Point, like I'd recommend a Ram truck over riding a pregnant donkey or horse-drawn cart, but I'd also recommend saving a tad more and buying a better product than either if a person is able to do so. Even in the budget-gun price point, there's more reliable options.

I'm glad your PT145 has been good to you. I hope if it fails you, its at a range, or in a non-life-threatening situation.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    You are one of the lucky ones. My personal experience with the Taurus polymer pistols is far less pleasurable.

Back when the Millennium Pro was released, the grand dad who raised me decided to re-evaluate his carry gun. He was retired corrections/LE, from the era where revolvers were the norm. He carried a 5-shot Smith & Wesson Chief's Special everywhere in his pocket. Then our normally quiet area started seeing a wave of home invasions and multiple-assailant attacks at pharmacies and stores, especially of older folks (pills & cash)

He wasn't sold on the notion of a pistol without a manual safety, like the Glock I was carrying then. He wanted a small gun with higher capacity. I took him to a gun shop and we looked at options. The Taurus PT111 went home with him. The first of a few of the Taurus pistols in a string he'd get - not because they were good, but because they were terrible. That first gun - when we got it home, he had me take it apart and clean & lube it, and show him how it came apart.

What we found was the ejector was busted, right from the factory. OK - back to the gunshop, since you couldn't just order parts from Taurus. The gun shop swapped that gun for the Titanium version, even Steven for his trouble.

That gun turned out to have a poorly made barrel - literally at 21 feet it looked like a shotgun blast - 10 inch groups were the best anyone who shot it could do. It was returned to Taurus, they replaced it.

Got the new gun. Took it shooting - it shot better. Was a bitch to take apart and reassemble, but it worked and was more or less reliable. On the third outing shooting that gun - the damned trigger shoe cracked at the trigger pin on one side. That was enough for the old man, he went to the gun shop and bought a Glock 26 that was malfunction free. He carried it in his front pocket in a DeSantis leather holster.

A couple years later I gave him a CZ-75 Compact as a more fitting nightstand gun that he'd occasionally carry too, which was also completely reliable.

The only time he went to a range, or out in the woods shooting was when I'd take him. I was there with him for every round put through those Taurus' and saw first hand how poorly made they were and how much of a pain in the ass they could be. Certainly none of those were worth betting one's life on.

I had an employee & friend purchase a Taurus G2C a couple years ago, right after they came out. He bought it because it was $189 on sale, and he wanted something smaller than his M&P 9 full size for carry. We went shooting a couple times and I got to shoot that gun and watch others shoot it. My impressions on the G2's were better - the polymer felt better - like a higher quality, different polymer, the slide machining was better (still using cast slides vs forged though) and his gun ran *almost* flawlessly, there were a couple hiccups that could have been ammo or shooter induced failures, as we were trying various loads out to see what it would eat, and how it ran with carry ammo.

It was a far cry better than the Millennium Pro / PT111 pistols, though it is essentially the evolution of them. They might indeed be upping their quality - just like Fiat/Chrysler *might* be building more reliable vehicles than Daimler-Chrysler, or just plain Chrysler before them. I'd recommend a Taurus over a Hi Point, like I'd recommend a Ram truck over riding a pregnant donkey or horse-drawn cart, but I'd also recommend saving a tad more and buying a better product than either if a person is able to do so. Even in the budget-gun price point, there's more reliable options.

I'm glad your PT145 has been good to you. I hope if it fails you, its at a range, or in a non-life-threatening situation.

I'm in the pro-Taurus crowd.
    I have several, including a PT111 G2. It has at least 2500 through it without any failures. None. Ammo ranging from 115 gr to 147, cheap to exorbitant.
    I have a TCP that has been flawless since I tweaked the tab that locks the slide back... it kept getting nudged by bullet noses, locking the slide back in midstream. It's had probably 400-500 flawless rounds since the "fix".
    I have a 24/7 Pro in .45 acp that has been flawless, other than not liking some SWC style bullets.
    I recently purchased an 856 in 38 spl, that has (so far) been flawless, only about 350-400 rounds through it, though.
    I had an older 85 in stainless that was flawless.
    I have a TX22 that is absolutely flawless.... eats everything, so far, including CCI "quiet" rounds.
    I just got a 942M that had an issue with light firing pin strikes... I just got it back from Taurus warranty (2 week turnaround) and plan to test it this weekend. They replaced firing pin, hammer spring and trigger spring.

I would, and do trust any of those with my life, with the exception of the new .22 mag, and if it is truly "fixed", it will be included in that list.

We could do a search on "Glock failures" and come up with some pretty spectacular failures, as well. I'm not bashing Glocks, they are wonderful, robust firearms, but they are not flawless. Nothing is. Taurus has had some dismal quality issues.... in the past. They are much better firearms now than they were "then".

mylar17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Pflugerville
    My limited experience with Taurus has been questionable.

My buddy had a PT111 G2, it always shot but whenever you shook it, something rattled around inside. We also took it apart, and put it back together, ended up with an extra detent (or something don't remember) and it still fired.... and still rattled when shaken.
    I bought a 454 Casull for a backpacking trip (I know, quetionable choice on a Taurus) and it also had something rattling when you shake it. I isolated the blocking bar for the hammer so I know it wasn't it.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Oh, Taurus is the best... One of my favorite subjects to talk about :D

Yes, I know it is :P

This video is even better. Taurus makes good stuff :) :

But, wait, those Taurus CEO's know their stuff, right?

Umm, not really. They all keep saying the same things, and making the same empty promises:

Even the various CEOs can't change things, no matter what they promised...

People point to the newest 2020 CEO as "turning the company around." But, look at Taurus history:

Back in 2010 - Someone quotes an article about how the new CEO of Taurus (Mark Kressler) will help improve quality... : https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408285&highlight=taurus+quality

I then did an internet search of the CEO prior to Kressler. His name was Bob Morrison, and he was CEO in the earlier 2000s. I couldn't find even ONE article where he said he would improve quality... Go figure... He didn't even bother... :D

In 2012, the Taurus CEO, Mark Kressler, promises "new products, better customer relations and higher quality": https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/taurus-no-more-bull/

But then in 2014, that CEO (Mark Kresser,) was fired... He was a CEO who had "led the charge at Taurus to tighten quality control."

And, his replacement CEO plans to repair the Taurus reputation in 2014 (Anthony Acitelli): https://www.shootingsportsretailer.com/stories/interview-taurus-usa-ceo-anthony-acitelli

In 2015, that same CEO (Anthony Acitelli) said: "the agreement is a step to rebuild the brand’s credibility". He was referring to a class action lawsuit about defective guns...

Furthermore: Acitelli said: "A company that stands behind its product and is willing to do the right thing for the customer actually gives us credibility."

Acitelli eventually left, and in 2017, the new CEO (David Blenker) said: “We have a very dedicated work force that is committed to making Taurus the top brand and I’m excited to be leading the team with this vision.

But, in Jan 2020, David Blecker leaves, and he is replaced by Bret Vorhees. Here, Vorhees, the new Taurus CEO, vows to improve quality in April 2020:

Yea, it's gonna happen.... After all these years, Taurus is "better."

I actually could go on and on, but I'll stop for now :)

Maybe Sig is making Taurus now. Not that impressed with their quality control either. They did a voluntary, not mandatory recall on the 320. Bunch of lawsuits for firing while holstered.

We can find faults with any manufacturer. I have had to send back a Taurus (got new gun), a Sig (got trigger thing fixed), a Ruger single fire AR10 that they fixed, and a Beretta shotgun. So go figure.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Do you think ALL of those 24/7 models will do that? Or even a moderate percentage of them? Or, do you think that particular firearm is f**ed up? Perhaps some armorer messed with the sear, trying to lighten the trigger pull.... we don't know, do we? Obviously, sear engagement is on the extreme end of minimal... barely enough to engage, so that it slips when shaken....

If you think that a percentage of them will do the same thing, then I imagine you will never buy a Beretta like the M9, or whatever the military calls them.... catastrophic slide failures (plural) where part of the slide flies back and strikes the shooter in the head?

Well, if one of them does it, then ANY of them can.... :rolleyes:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gee, IDK about all that, but I've owned a number of their products and have never had any problem. They ALL have performed flawlessly at all times. On disassembly, they look every bit as good as a Smith or a Beretta.
    I can comment ONLY on my personal experiences !
    leVieux

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I understand that - but, I did not bring up the topic in this thread. Someone else did, with other replies about Taurus…

Again, what does any of that have to do with the Texas Law Shield guide on Permitless Carry (the subject of this thread). Hell, this thread has been dormant for more than a month.

The context behind why Taurus was mentioned was that the PT-92 is a clone of the Beretta, which is a popular icon on gunbuster signs, which TLS seems, in their unholy minds, to believe is effective notice for TPC30.05. Sure, there’s a couple of off-topic followups, but it’s almost like you just did a random search for Taurus and vomited it all here in an effort to get it out of your system.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom