• TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Mods, is there any way to get a head scratching emoji?

Like this?

1631906755774.png
    Venture Surplus ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Game deer that cross my land apparently belong to the state.
    I guess if you raise deer and high fence that is your property and your deer.
    Birds that land on my property are technically not my birds.
    I don't understand what you are questioning. Wild game cross property lines with ease. Privately owned animals are the property of the people that own them even if they cross over into someone else's land. I don't know how these game farms work but I assume they tag their animals to distinguish them from wild game.

Many large ranches build high fences trapping deer and other game animals inside in the process. If they don’t own those deer, apparently they are stealing them. But then who are they stealing them from if they aren’t owned? If they aren’t stealing them then the deer must now belong to the property owner, otherwise he would have no right to keep them in his fence locked away from other hunters nearby? So there must be some connection between property and the ability to have control over the animal.

Same with a bird. Why is it that I can treat the bird as if I owned it, but only if I pay the kings tax on the bird?

“The tax pays for the game wardens”. Sure, I get that. Sadly, I’ve never seen a game warden in my county ticket anyone for anything more than not having a license to hunt or fish. So at least around here I am paying a tax to fund an agency who has accomplished nothing more than punishing anyone who doesn’t OG the tax to fund a he agency to enforce the tax…and the circle goes on. If the tax were gone there’d be no funding for the agency to enforce the tax and…my god, I dare not even consider what that could mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Many large ranches build high fences trapping deer and other game animals inside in the process. If they don’t own those deer, apparently they are stealing them. But then who are they stealing them from if they aren’t owned? If they aren’t stealing them then the deer must now belong to the property owner, otherwise he would have no right to keep them in his fence locked away from other hunters nearby? So there must be some connection between property and the ability to have control over the animal.

Same with a bird. Why is it that I can treat the bird as if I owned it, but only if I pay the kings tax on the bird?

“The tax pays for the game wardens”. Sure, I get that. Sadly, I’ve never seen a game warden in my county ticket anyone for anything more than not having a license to hunt or fish. So at least around here I am paying a tax to fund an agency who has accomplished nothing more than punishing anyone who doesn’t OG the tax to fund a he agency to enforce the tax…and the circle goes on. If the tax were gone there’d be no funding for the agency to enforce the tax and…my god, I dare not even consider what that could mean.

I don’t know how to respond. If my dog walks onto your land and gets fenced in do you own it? Just because you own land doesn’t mean you own the animals that are on it when you fence it. If our property adjoins and a deer jumps over from your property to mine and I shoot it I am not shooting your deer as wild game are not privately owned. Now if you run a hunting ranch with stocked animals and it escapes to my property and I shoot it I just killed your animal. The distinction being private property and public property. Wild game is public property even while on private land.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don’t know how to respond. If my dog walks onto your land and gets fenced in do you own it? Just because you own land doesn’t mean you own the animals that are on it when you fence it. If our property adjoins and a deer jumps over from your property to mine and I shoot it I am not shooting your deer as wild game are not privately owned. Now if you run a hunting ranch with stocked animals and it escapes to my property and I shoot it I just killed your animal. The distinction being private property and public property. Wild game is public property even while on private land.

So these ranches that build game fences without ensuring every animal has been run off the property first are stealing publicly owned animals then. Because I can assure you they don’t do that.

And I still don’t understand why I need to be taxed to pay someone who does nothing more than make sure I paid the tax.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    So these ranches that build game fences without ensuring every animal has been run off the property first are stealing publicly owned animals then. Because I can assure you they don’t do that.
    I assume they are.

And I still don’t understand why I need to be taxed to pay someone who does nothing more than make sure I paid the tax.
    I think even the non-hunter pays to keep up LEO.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I spent some time building fence, including high fence. Not sure if you mean they are breaking the law and stealing deer or running them off the property first. But I know they aren’t running out the wildlife before building the fence. And I’ve never seen a game warden show up to make sure they haven’t stolen the public wildlife.

Hunting tax goes to a very specific subset of LE. One that spends most of its time making sure people paid the tax. It’s a ridiculous circle.

The other duties could be handled by the county sheriff.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I spent some time building fence, including high fence. Not sure if you mean they are breaking the law and stealing deer or running them off the property first. But I know they aren’t running out the wildlife before building the fence. And I’ve never seen a game warden show up to make sure they haven’t stolen the public wildlife.

Hunting tax goes to a very specific subset of LE. One that spends most of its time making sure people paid the tax. It’s a ridiculous circle.

The other duties could be handled by the county sheriff.

Just a thought...
    Throw a big lasso over the fence, drag the deer back over. It isn't trespass because you didn't enter and it isn't theft or burglary because you didn't steal anything.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Dave Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Roanoke, TX
    In my county (McCulloch) there are many new high fences, but I'm seeing non-native species behind those fences, Emu's and African species mainly. Some with whitetail deer have ear tags, so I'm believing that those are for breeding purposes.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just a thought...
    Throw a big lasso over the fence, drag the deer back over. It isn't trespass because you didn't enter and it isn't theft or burglary because you didn't steal anything.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Nope, I don’t have any issue with them fencing in the deer on their property.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Yep, I said that. Didn’t say I had a problem with them doing it. Have a problem with being taxed for hunting them. He said you don’t own an animal on your property, which lead to the high fence question. Obviously there is a little more to game animals on your property than just “they belong to the public”.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Yep, I said that. Didn’t say I had a problem with them doing it. Have a problem with being taxed for hunting them. He said you don’t own an animal on your property, which lead to the high fence question. Obviously there is a little more to game animals on your property than just “they belong to the public”.

Who do wild game animals belong to then? To be honest I don't hunt wild game but I have wild game and non-game on my property and allow hunters.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Who do wild game animals belong to then? To be honest I don't hunt wild game but I have wild game and non-game on my property and allow hunters.

Nobody maybe…

But my bigger issue is about the tax to hunt them. And that’s not to say I mean people should be riding down the county road shooting them over your fence, or taking 15 deer a week, or hunting dove while they are sitting on a nest so they’re easier to hit. My issue is that enforcement of such things can be handled by county LE but instead we pay a tax to hunt so we can put a bunch of guys in green trucks who spend most of their time doing very little and the vast majority of the time they do spend actually out doing their job involves simply making sure people have paid the hunting tax that funds their riding around to make sure people paid the tax.

Like (probably) everyone else here, I don’t want to see our native wildlife decimated. But I think the current system is extremely inefficient and broken.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Yup, and as a Senior, only $32.00!!!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Bought mine online last night. Hunting and fishing freshwater combo.
    $16 + $5 online service.
    Helps with our state resources.

Oregon combo hunting and fishing license (no tags included) - $73

OR fishing (no salmon/steelhead tag)

Annual Angling License​

Resident* $44.00 (+$10 for the Columbia River and tributaries fee)
    (I only fished once or twice a year the last few years... this is hardly worth it. Better to buy a 3day license!)

OR Sports Pac:
    includes fishing, shellfish and hunting license; combine angling tag; spring turkey, cougar,
    general or controlled bear tag, elk and deer tags; upland bird and waterfowl validations
    Resident $196.50
    Resident with Columbia River Basin Endorsement $206.25

OR Senior Combo license:
    70 years old and Oregon resident for at least 5 years
    Resident $47.50 (it was 65yrs I think, if they keep raising it I ain never gonna get there!!

OR Senior fishing license:

Senior Angling​

70 years old and Oregon resident for at least 5 years
    Resident $29.00
    (There's that 70yr old problem again)

OR Pioneer license (the best deal)

Pioneer Combination​

65 years old and Oregon resident for at least 50 years:
    includes fishing and hunting license, and Columbia River Basin Endorsement
    Resident $6.00
    (I'm not a 50yr resident until 9 more years)

So why did I post this crap that Texans are not interested in?
    Because ODFW claims to be managing game for all this money! Yet fish and game keep becoming less and less available for more and more money!!! Seals and commercial ocean fishing take almost all the salmon/steelhead. The wolves that U.S Forest Circus or whomever introduced take waaaaay too many deer and elk as well as rancher's cattle.

Just venting. I'm bummed that I can't go fishing or hunting anymore.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you didn't have tags on the lic and PAY those that look at the stats, maybe no deer or fish left?

Ahh, the geniuses who decided to count deer and bump us up to a 5 deer county. I can only imagine they counted them at the state park where there are maybe 2-3 drawing winners for a deer each or maybe the local gated community that allows no hunting and is horribly overpopulated with fat and happy deer, because the rest of the county definitely didn’t merit the prestigious “5 deer” rating.

Or the geniuses or last month said what a great dove season we had to look forward too, cause if they had described what reality had been this year they might have lost that sweet hunting tax money. But glad they counted those birds, gotta wonder where they found them though.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Y'all would argue about nothing. I've been around long enough to see the effects of over hunting deer and other game, and while I am definitely not pro-government or pro agency of any type, I see the need to have some regulation.
    Laws - all laws - are in place because of ass-a-hole-ahs who have no internal limits.
    Speed limit? Why? Because there would be some ass-a-hole-ah that would drive 140 down the highway and endanger you and your family's lives.
    Why does there have to be a LAW against murder? Consider that one.
    Why are there limits on game? Because ass-a-hole-ahs would harvest a species until they're gone (ie, buffalo).
    Look at the fishing/shrimping/oyster industry for more examples of why there are laws / limits in place.
    Proceed with the arguing/bitching...

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I use to watch Lone Star Law. I stopped because I thought they let to many off on warnings. I get it they didn’t want to appear to be racially profiling people! I get it they didn’t want to be the bad guys & it is tv.

They sure didn’t hesitate on kids with weed or Joe six pack! They sure didn’t come across enough methbilly’s to be realistic enough for me!
    That's funny, I stopped watching it because I saw too many game wardens being dicks about things.
    Giving a woman a citation for having the feather of an illegal bird on her visor in her car - which she said her son had picked up in the park they were visiting - Tell It to The judge, here's your ticket.

Citing another guy for driving with an open alcoholic beverage and carrying a gun (.22 rifle) while he was riding a Kawasaki Mule down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere adjacent to his property. And the "perp" was an older man who was respectful in every way, clearly not drunk, and just riding the perimeter of his property in the evening with the 22 as protection from coyotes - as he explained.

Top Bottom