Texas Homowners Insurance...Bloody Hell!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    TEXAS HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE HAS GONE STRAIGHT TO HELL!

Last week, a lightning storm smoked my 52" Toshiba LCD TV and my computer modem. Both were protected by several layers of surge and UPS protection but the bolt hit the pole in front of the house, blew a transformer then smoked a transformer on the next street. When lightning hits that close, surge protectors are a joke.

My options were:
    1) Eat the TV and just go on.

2) Turn it over to my insurance (Farmers) and let them depreciate the TV for 1 1/2 years that I owned it then apply a $500 deductible to the loss. Then I would lose over $400 in "no claim" discounts over the next 5 years! Wow, what a deal!

Finally, the agent called me to say the loss was NOT COVERED AT ALL because the zap came in over the power lines. I wondered how else the jolt could have gotten the TV then realized that wasn't the point. The exclusion is their way of NOT covering the TV!

Then I wondered how many other people have purchased those expensive TV's, computers and stereos not knowing the equipment was covered only for fire and theft by their homeowners insurance. The major threat to electronic equipment is voltage surge and they don't insure it! They get themselves off the hook by having an "exclusion!"

Guys, you need to get with your agent and find out what kind of crap they are selling under the guise of homeowners insurance. The prices ran wild, the coverage went to Hell and we hold policies that are virtually worthless. They put exclusions in the policy to cheat you at every turn.

Hound the agent until he/she tells you the truth about your coverage. The policy will show you what is covered. The real story is in the list of exclusions.

The wind storm insurance is another prime example. The coverage is crap and when IKE tore up my place, it took FIVE months to pay off my claim! Meanwhile, my place was a wreck. Remember, after the claim is settled, you are at point ZERO where you can begin to rebuild. Your home is still a wreck and you've been staying with friends or relatives.

Here's how they get you:

Brick is porous and when driven by hurricane force winds, the brick wall will pass water and ruin your carpet. Carpet stinks like Hell after water soaks it and there is no electricity to help dry it. They only cover carpet loss "if there was a hole in the structure where the water enters." If the water comes through the weep holes or through the brick, it is NOT covered! Their own adjuster wrote that the roof shingles picked up, water entered the house and ruined the carpet. For 5 months, they debated how that water got in my house and withheld payment. The carpet smelled so bad, I had to leave the house. To get some relief, I pulled up a lot of the carpet and tossed it outside. The furniture was moved and stacked and that was my life for months.

The companies delay your payment to spread their loss through several business quarters. That's good for them and terrible for you. One way they do that is by using "Tag Team Adjusters." You work with an adjuster and just about the time you get an agreement, they switch adjusters. Of course, you start from "square one" and all bets are off. The new guy wants a different approach or wants repair prices or receipts and you sit for another month with your claim unresolved. That happened to me FIVE TIMES! Next time, I lawyer up!

Like one company says, Insurance companies have you in good hands. That hand is tightly wrapped around your "nads.

Flash

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    My dad had a great insurance agent who really went out of his way to help him get things done. One day, the agent was gone. The company fired him because he was helping customers with legitimate claims. The company? Same one with those "helping hands".

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    The reason they call it "insurance" is that all the good four letter words were already being used for other things...For the most part, if they are willing to bet something bad will happen, I'm willing to bet it won't. That's all insurance is basicly, legalized gambling.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    The reason they call it "insurance" is that all the good four letter words were already being used for other things...For the most part, if they are willing to bet something bad will happen, I'm willing to bet it won't. That's all insurance is basicly, legalized gambling.

Bad experience?

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    Bad experience?

Just the joys of owning rental properties in one geographical area when a hail storm hits!

75 houses all needing new roofs at once and because of the NUMBER of houses involved, the adjuster thought I should get less per house because I was being paid more TOTAL than anyone else in the area....EVEN THOUGH ON A HOUSE BY HOUSE BASIS, IT WAS THE SAME as individual home owners in the area were being paid for damages.

After that, I found a co-op program that could handle personal, farm/ranch, investment properties and other business interests

Pawdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Lake Kimble, Texas
    Farmers and Allsnake are two of the worse. I had to sue Farmers to get them to pay my wind claim after Ike. My attorney hired a structual engineer, and an independent loss asessor. It took about 18 months to get a settlement to settle the lawsuit. And, Farmers had to pay about $30,000.00 (not including their attorney fees) more due to the lawsuit, than they would have had to pay if they had settled with me directly after the hurricane instead of denying the wind claim.

Had Allsnake with Rita in 2005, they paid about 1/3 rd the value of the actual damages, but I ate the difference then........Wish I had pursued more as Rita cost me about $25,000.00 out of my pocket after their final payments.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    You have to understand that Texas law does not require that insurance companies deal with their customers fairly. What the insurance companies do not want is complaints. The threat of a filing a complaint with the State Board of Insurance is nice leverage. Rates are partially based on history of complaints. Many complaints means less allowable rates.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I guess what pisses me off the most is that the insurance companies advertise themselves to be your family's best friend. I've had my homeowners insurance with Farmers since 1978 with very few claims. That didn't stop them from treating me like crap after IKE! When the SHTF, they turn into lying, cheats who don't give a flip about your family's well being.

I feel their hands on my "Nads" right now!

Flash

Top Bottom