• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    You and your dad owned Texas Guns and sold it in the 1960s? Same shop/location as the one on Bandera?
    No
    My Dad started it back around 1953 in San Antonio. He sold off many of the guns and the rights to the name for use in San Antonio when he transfered to the Pentagon. Don't remember how many guns were involved but it was a LOT most sporting stuff, bolt actions, shotguns, I remember we had nearly 300 shotguns, some old (Damascus bbl), some new, few rare pieces, mostly we had picked up in trades are folks just bringing them in and we bought them from them, some old shotgun sitting in a closet stuff. The rage back then was Mauser/'03 conversions into deer hunting rifles

After that we narrowed our focus to pre 1900 Colts, Winchesters and military arms. Then he got involved with Sam Cummings https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Cummings

I remember going over to the warehouses in Alexandria Va where were on the docks of the Potomac River and having a lot of fun looking at the guns guns and guns, tens of thousands. I remember one time Sam came over to our house and we went to to the docks to meet a ship that was coming in full of German Mausers and other gear, I got a German helmet which I thought was cool.

Much later as Dad was dying of Cancer and we would talk I asked him about the lash up with Sam Cummings and I found out that Sam was a 'Company man' in this case the CIA. Dad was on the Intel side of the OSI and they were working together to move arms. His role was much like that of Lt Col Oliver North in the 80's under Reagan.

I stopped by one time and talked with the owner and he told me he had heard it was started by some Col in the Air Force back in the early 50's and said he had heard right it was my dad.

Dad retired in the early 60's and still did some dealing for a few years from the ranch but not to much as his health had slowed him down, he died 25 Jun '77.

Top Bottom