• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Does anyone know if Texas Guns on Bandera Road is closing? We drove by it on Saturday and I could have sworn there was a sign stating that.

I haven't been by there in years, but from my experience while they did have a large selection and somewhat friendly staff, their prices are ridiculously 2-3x higher than all the other gun shops in San Antonio. I bought a Mosin M44 from them many moons ago which wasn't priced too badly, but that was likely ten years or so ago. We did go in there a year or so ago (just out of curiosity) and they were having a big "sale" where everything was 25% off (meaning it was only double what you paid anywhere else).

Whereas I usually hate to see any local gun businesses go under, this is one that wouldn't upset me too much. They are taking advantage of people's ignorance and eventually that reputation will catch up and bite you in the ass (as apparent by their 1.5 stars out of 5 on Yelp!).

As someone said in one of their Yelp reviews, "Go to the Gun Shack up the street to purchase and shoot somewhere else!!!" That captures my sentiments exactly!

But if true, this will be the second San Antonio gun shop to close in recent months (Don's on 410 being the other one).
    Target Sports

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Texas Guns in Kerrville closed several years ago. Prices were high and service was bad. It seemed like there were never any customers in there.

Funny, I remember when they moved a lot of their inventory out to Kerrville in anticipation of greater sales.
    Maybe they figured there was less competition, is there anyplace other than Gibson's or Young's to really buy guns out there?

I will have to drive by the place again to see what is going on.

McCrapper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2018
    Central Texas
    Young’s guns isn’t much better. I remember when they moved from their old location and fired/lost couple of their gun guys. New gun manager is a clown, nothing in there is reasonably priced.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Didn’t there used to be a Don’s Guns at Perrin-Bietel and 410?

Yep, closed sometime during the past year.

There have been several old school gun shops that have gone the way of the dodo in that part of San Antonio. Ho's Guns used to be on Culebra, but shut down about 10-12 years ago. Not sure what happened to Wayne, but some days you could go into his place and there were mode discussions about welding than there was firearms or shooting. I know the latter gets old after a while, but when there are customers waiting to for help and such conversations would continue, it likely caused them to go elsewhere. It's just not the way to run a business...

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The Don's that just closed was at Fredricksburg and 410 yes?

The one I remember was just north of 410 on Perrin-Bietel Rd. Just behind the gas station.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    The Don's that just closed was at Fredricksburg and 410 yes?

The one I remember was just north of 410 on Perrin-Bietel Rd. Just behind the gas station.

Sorry, I just saw "410" and thought that was the one you meant.

I have no idea if there ever was one at 410 and Perrin Beitel, but given how much of a "one off" the shop that recently closed was, I would be inclined to think it wasn't the same business...

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Texas Gun Gougers? I've seen their going out of business sign for about a year. Even that won't draw me in.

When I started buying guns in 2000 I used Firearms Training Plus at SW corner of Bandera and 410. They're long gone but I liked them.

Now it's Helotes Tactical Firearms, Gun Shack, or Adelbridge. HTF is my go-to for NFA & transfers. Gunshack has a decent size inventory & more uses guns. Adelbrige has the largest inventory, new & used, of the three.

Last week I bought a used Ruger Mark IV Lite at McQueeney Gun Club. They have a nice new store & range with a big selection. They don't have as much as Adelbridge but close and more higher end stuff. Prices are reasonable. They had an STI 2011 in 10mm and a Falkor Petra in 300WM I liked. They rent full-autos on their range.

The only negatives: they're pretty far from me in NW SA and they ran a NICS even though I have an LTC. I have nothing to hide but I don't like them running a NICS. They said it's for their protection in case an LTC holder has been arrested, etc but their LTC hasn't been officially revoked yet.

Top Bottom