Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    A few minutes ago -
    Duke7fence.jpg

We decided to spend the money and have this fence barrier added to the bottom of the existing fence around all cleared 2 acres.

Even before it was finished, I've taken y'alls good suggestions and have walked the perimeter with him, on leash, several times a day over this last week, to teach him what property is his home to rule over and protect. The last couple days, off-leash, we observed him walking the same path, pissing in spots now and then to claim them. I put the training collar back in the box, unused; not convinced I'm going to need it. I think he's gonna be a pretty good dog.

The vet today also took the remaining buckshot out of his earflap and side; there's only one left imbedded above his left eye, and I'll watch that to see if it works its way out. He's gained 9 pounds in the last 20 days. :)
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    A few minutes ago -
    View attachment 391189

We decided to spend the money and have this fence barrier added to the bottom of the existing fence around all cleared 2 acres.

Even before it was finished, I've taken y'alls good suggestions and have walked the perimeter with him, on leash, several times a day over this last week, to teach him what property is his home to rule over and protect. The last couple days, off-leash, we observed him walking the same path, pissing in spots now and then to claim them. I think he's gonna be a pretty good dog.

The vet today also took the remaining buckshot out of his earflap and side; there's only one left imbedded above his left eye, and I'll watch that to see if it works its way out. He's gained 9 pounds in the last 20 days. :)
    Wait I missed something about buckshot?

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    How does he react when you practice shooting?
    Pretty good. No flinching or fear that I saw.

First time, because of what he'd been through, he and I were inside so I could watch; he came over and sat next to me, watched towards the 'noise', but that was all. Laid down after a few min, unconcerned.

Second time and each since - no reaction other than looking up from where he was laying. Frankly, it surprised me but I'm delighted. We'll see if that changes when he's outside when we shoot.

This is a good time for me to ask y'all, since I'm learning here too.

We wear ear protection, shooting under cover is really loud. What about the noise for his ears? Would it be better if, when he's around, to shoot in the open air? Or better just to let him decide to hang around or go elsewhere? The last thing I want to happen is for him to bolt. He wont be used for hunting...so that's not a factor.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    M G - I'd attempt to keep him indoors if possible. It will muffle the sounds somewhat and not cause as many sound related issues for him. Particularly in the echo chamber of the covered area.
    Agreed.

I started suggest this, but didn't know if that might cause anxiety.
    Being separated, while shooting is going on.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Just going by what she said about him just lying down and disregarding things, I'm guessing he'll be okay. Even more so if he can still see them while they're out there.

Just my guess/thoughts on it.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Doggie door for enclosed backyard, never have an accident in the house. Even if it's raining they go out on their own. Mostly vultures around Katy.
    My greyhounds wear out the replacement flaps on the dog door twice in a years time. But I don't have to open the door for them several times a night.

Top Bottom