• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    They return home together.
    16265736951322231099192238123601.jpg

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    We added a couple more pups to our pack this year.

Last spring, a neighbor's puppy which they didn't properly care for followed my wife & son home. We tried getting in touch with the owners, who weren't home. They left the then two-month old pup outside, in an unfenced yard, with little water and no food. Of course she wandered. She wound up staying overnight with us, before the owners came home. They got a piece of my mind of being shitty dog owners, and I told them if they couldn't care for her, bring her to us and we'd give her a good home.

That little girl brought something out in both our original puppers, and it convinced my wife we should consider getting a third pupper. So we did.

WCZz6Xd.jpg

This little cutie joined our pack back in April. It was kind of love at first sight for both of us. She was with her litter mates, they were all concerned with something, and she was solo, standing up wagging her tail at me. I picked her up and couldn't put her down. If I'd had my druthers, I would've probably taken all the doggos home, but wife said no... I named this one Summer, and she is 100% daddy's girl. She was about 5 weeks old when we got her (young, I know, but if we hadn't taken her, who knows what the dude who was selling her would've wound up doing with her)

We were pretty content with three puppers. I've joked with my wife ever since we moved here, that we'd wind up with four doggos. She was adamant originally for getting two, max... haha, guess what!

Fast forward to three weeks ago. The shit-ass owners of the pupper I mentioned earlier come knocking at 10AM. They're immigrants, illegals if all my other neighbors are to be believed. The dad doens't speak much english, and is kind of a piece of shit anyway (I could tell some stories, but that's for another time) - he sent his 14 year old kid up to do the talking. Dude couldn't even pull all the way into our driveway - he stopped at the road, made the kid walk up. Kid didn't have the guts or the brains to come up onto the porch and knock on the door. Instead, he knocked on my bedroom window.

When I went out to greet him and see WTF was up, he says "Will you still take the dog?" - now, I made a snap decision without consulting the wife, because I'd told them before "If you can't care for her, bring her to us." I didn't expect them to keep the dog for four months before bringing her to us, but they did. Kid tells me his mom said the dog has to go, because it ate one of their chicks. Being terrible animal owners in general, I assume they let the chicks (kept in a tiny pen in the driveway next to the open porch that the dog was supposed to call home) roam. Dog was hungry, she was obviously malnourished, so she ate the damn chick.

Dad had the dog in the pickup bed with them. Kid brings her to me, not on a leash, not with a collar. Had a damn old janky ratchet strap knotted around her neck. I asked him "whats her name?" Because I didn't know. I'd given her a name the night she stayed with us, just because I had to have *something* to call her. Kid says "she doesn't have a name." Kind of floored me. They'd had the dog for five months, she was about seven months old at that point, and they never named her. She answered to the name I gave her back in March, and she took up with our other three like she'd always been part of the pack.

First thing she did was find the food, ate her fill. After she had a full belly, I gave her a bath. Based on her reaction, and the sheer amount of grime and dirt that came off of her, I don't think she ever had a bath before.

We pulled one of the spare collars out of a drawer and gave it to her, till my wife could order a matching collar like the other dogs have.

8q03Oco.jpg

Little girl had a rough first couple nights of adjustment - she hadn't been a house dog. The change in diet caused upset tummy (though she never messed in the house, except one time when I was too slow getting dressed in the middle of the night, and her tummy was just churning too much! She was so used to pooping outside, she would alert at the door when she wanted to go potty) - I wound up sleeping in the living room on the couch, and she crashed on the floor next to me.

She now has a bed on the floor in our bedroom, and she is happy as a clam. Our boy loves her. The other girls love her.

God definitely works in mysterious ways, but I'm pretty sure she was meant to be our doggo. Like my little Summer, Athena (name I gave her last spring) is a daddy's girl. She is the most calm, well behaved of the four. She loves tummy rubs, cuddling, and she's very food-motivated so she's been easier to train than the others. The only bad habit she came to us with was getting onto the dinner table. LIke, all the way on. She jumped all four paws up onto the table the first time we had dinner, because she wanted to share our dinners so bad. She doesn't do that anymore, thankfully, though she'll nose up and try to still get you to give her food, or get her snout on the table trying to get scraps. Work in progress!

She came from the same flea market we got our Summer, I have a sneaky suspicion Summer came from the same guy who the others got Athena from, and both dogs appear to be Shep mix. I think Summer (the little one) is Shep / Basenji mix, based on pictures and research I did after we got her. Athena looks just like a Lab / GSD mix I had 20 years ago, so I'm pretty sure that's her mix. If we really want to find out, they have doggo DNA kits.

I had to laugh at/with my wife, because I told her we'd have four dogs, and now we have four dogs.

Top Bottom