Texas Bill of Sale (BOS)

Status

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2009
New Braunfels, TX
The less there is in writing, the better I like it. As noted, you could find yourself answering questions about the very document you THOUGHT would "protect" you. But - you do you. As already noted, some of our members won't sell w/o one. The fact that folks like me will tell 'em where to shove the BOS doesn't matter to them - they're internet legal experts.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
Mar 17, 2008
Dallas Texas or so
BOS - Prosecuting attorney or civil lawsuit attorney,"So you knowingly sold your gun to this individual as is evidenced by the item in (Peoples pr Plaintiffs) Exhibit 1 yes or no?"

Before anyone fires at me on this. Understand the structure of the question. It is not designed to gather factual statement. It is designed to set the base for the ignorant jury to "know" the defendant "knowingly sold" No matter how the question is answered the defendant is now painted as either someone who intentionally sold a gun to another person or if they didnt know then how was the BOS executed and the defendant is a liar. It is up to the defense then to rehab the question in cross, but to a jury the damage is already done. Trail Lawyers spend years honing and perfecting their language skills in how to ask damning questions. No question asked in court is justa question - they all are designed to mesh with a plan to prove the case for either side.
if you are the defendant, your attorney would frame the question in your favor 1st.

Plaintiff's lawyer can't call you to the stand. That pesky 5th amendment thingy.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Oct 5, 2013
Georgetown
Bill of Sale (BOS) or Not?

If for nothing else, wouldnt a BOS protect YOU if a less than desirable POS decided to use a firearm registered in your name to commit a crime? Would the BOS reduce or eliminate your liability?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It would prove that you absolutely did sell a firearm to a criminal. In Texas there is no such thing as a firearm registered in your name, except for NFA items.

Wait...who said bill of sale in the company area?

Wiliamr

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Apr 15, 2011
Austin
if you are the defendant, your attorney would frame the question in your favor 1st.

Plaintiff's lawyer can't call you to the stand. That pesky 5th amendment thingy.
Pretrial depositions and discovery questions are where these things get asked and objected to and where the theory of the case get built.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
Oh. Good. Lord.

Maybe I'm just grumpy this morning but we really don't need another one of these.

Status
Top Bottom