Testing link to pdf

bbbass

Baffler of the Brilliant
Sep 2, 2020
NE OR
I can't say that i understand your statement.
You said with certainty, as a fact, that HP38 and 231 are the same powder. But that statement as it applies to using manuals neglects that the powders were not always the same. Therefore, the data could be used with older batches of powder but not with newer cans. IMO It only requires a warning about powder changes, not an indictment of the entire manual based on one factoid.

I can see why the company would say it, but I haven't seen similar statements from any other publisher regarding using their older books. Maybe I missed it... are you aware of any other publisher that has made a statement saying not to use their older books?

rotor

Well-Known
Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls
You said with certainty, as a fact, that HP38 and 231 are the same powder. But that statement as it applies to using manuals neglects that the powders were not always the same. Therefore, the data could be used with older batches of powder but not with newer cans. IMO It only requires a warning about powder changes, not an indictment of the entire manual based on one factoid.

I can see why the company would say it, but I haven't seen similar statements from any other publisher regarding using their older books. Maybe I missed it... are you aware of any other publisher that has made a statement saying not to use their older books?
You are the one that stated that they are not the same powder and then corrected yourself. I don't know if 20 years ago they were different powders or not but I do know that if one is using current powders they are the same. Oregon Trail is not the same company that it used to be and obviously the data that I inquired from them was not suitable for current use. How the average reloader is to know that a company has changed their powders is a mystery to me.

In July 2020 when I contacted them and at that time they had been sold. Officially they say don't use their manuals. Do so at your own risk.

In my case Win 231 start is at never exceed HP38 load data in their manual for the bullet that I was inquiring about. That I think is pretty significant and risky.

If you can't trust the downloaded pdf for use on current powders buy a current manual. Anyone that wants to use the old Oregon Trail download needs to double check that the powder charge is reasonable by cross checking other sources. Go to the website and check loads.

I couldn't find a source that says when HP38 and Win231 became the same and when they were different. Same for 296 and H110.

bbbass

Baffler of the Brilliant
Sep 2, 2020
NE OR
You are the one that stated that they are not the same powder and then corrected yourself. I don't know if 20 years ago they were different powders or not but I do know that if one is using current powders they are the same. Oregon Trail is not the same company that it used to be and obviously the data that I inquired from them was not suitable for current use. How the average reloader is to know that a company has changed their powders is a mystery to me.

In July 2020 when I contacted them and at that time they had been sold. Officially they say don't use their manuals. Do so at your own risk.

In my case Win 231 start is at never exceed HP38 load data in their manual for the bullet that I was inquiring about. That I think is pretty significant and risky.

If you can't trust the downloaded pdf for use on current powders buy a current manual. Anyone that wants to use the old Oregon Trail download needs to double check that the powder charge is reasonable by cross checking other sources. Go to the website and check loads.

I couldn't find a source that says when HP38 and Win231 became the same and when they were different. Same for 296 and H110.
Quite right, I get confused sometimes. Talk about stating things with certainty being a problem sometimes... My bad!!

As far as tracking or discovering powder changes... the info is out there, at least in my experience I've run across it. I think. YMMV

I don't want to argue, so I'll back out of this. Thanx for your input.

bb

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members