• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    Buy a Magpul Pmag. Fill it up and run 30 rounds through it. You should be more concerned with function testing the rifle than the mags, especially if you use a high quality mag like Pmag. If the rifle is already fully vetted, you shouldn't need to run more than 5 rounds to test a magazine.

The pistol has been test fired with different types & weights of ammo

The 2 pmags and GI mags should work without any problem

I have never had a problem with MFT, but this one is the 2nd Gen 20/30 and I was able to make it a 30rd

The new mags I have are FAB 30rd, ETS 30rd and Lancer 30rd, I want to make sure they work, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to test all of them

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    The pistol has been test fired with different types & weights of ammo

The 2 pmags and GI mags should work without any problem

I have never had a problem with MFT, but this one is the 2nd Gen 20/30 and I was able to make it a 30rd

The new mags I have are FAB 30rd, ETS 30rd and Lancer 30rd, I want to make sure they work, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to test all of them
    Dump all those, except maybe the G.I. and buy new Magpul... mags are cheaper than ammo!

I have 35 old G.I. mags that I recently cleaned and replaced followers with Magpul... I still don't like the feel of some of them, even though they seem to function. Buying new D&H would have made more sense! The only concern I have with Magpul mags is leaving them loaded, and I just don't know if that is really a problem. Did Magpul put dust covers on Gen 3 mags for dust?

Last edited:

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    [QUOTE="cycleguy2300, post: 2299716, member: 5902"

I would number your mags, then have a paint pen handy when you happen to shoot. Get an ftf? Tic mark. Get 2 or 3, mag goes in the trash.

Just buy some good Pmags, number them and shoot. A good maker's mags work in ARs, the mags are proven.
    [/QUOTE]

I agree with this info above. I number all mags. When I have a failure, I mark it. 2 failures with same mag, I spray paint the mag with red or orange and it’s then a “range only” magazine.

But.....

I only own quality (my personal POV) commercially manufactured firearms and I only buy quality (again, my personal POV) magazines. I don’t currently have any home made AR’s or 80% lower builds.

Do you think DOD runs hundreds of rounds through every magazine or firearm to test them prior to issuing them out? Nope. Not even close.

In my experience, Magpul, Lancer, and Hexmag are all GTG out from the wrapper. I don’t run aluminum mags. Just my preference.

Handgun mags are all OEM, Magpul, ETS, Wilson Combat, or MecGar. I have 100% confidence in all straight from the factory.

I don’t buy guns or mags I don’t have confidence in. I understand I can get a “lemon”. Shit happens...that’s why I carry a spare and train for mechanical failures.

You do you...I’ll do me.

YMMV

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Dump all those, except maybe the G.I. and buy new Magpul... mags are cheaper than ammo!

I have 35 old G.I. mags that I recently cleaned and replaced followers with Magpul... I still don't like the feel of some of them, even though they seem to function. Buying new D&H would have made more sense! The only concern I have with Magpul mags is leaving them loaded, and I just don't know if that is really a problem. Did Magpul put dust covers on Gen 3 mags for dust?
    Lancer and ETS are absolutely good to go.

Reactions: gll

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Buy a Magpul Pmag. Fill it up and run 30 rounds through it. You should be more concerned with function testing the rifle than the mags, especially if you use a high quality mag like Pmag. If the rifle is already fully vetted, you shouldn't need to run more than 5 rounds to test a magazine.
    I sent two Pmags back due to wide feedlips, they were totally professionals and replaced them free, cost me shipping one way! Bought two ProMag SIG 320 magazines neither will lock into gun and ProMag said tough shit, that I should not have bought them NEW on Ebay! Even though the packaging advertised "Lifetime Warranty"

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    If I were in the same position to test them I'd try to have some fun with it and run a mad minute drill. If you have a mag that hiccups, toss it aside. If the gun starts choking after several rounds at least you knew before you were betting your life on it. I love a good mag dump on occasion. Even better when you can keep it on target !

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    Is the side charging AR design prone to FTL/FTF/FTE issues, or is it just a “how many mags question?

I don’t sweat testing quality mags (PMAG, Hexmag, etc.)

I had a chance to fire a friends 16 inch BCA side charger and only had one problem and it had to do with steel case ammo

Had a friendly competition between me and a guy who had two tours in afghanistan
    I mastered the AK so I used the side charger AR and he used a standard AR, both of us firing steel case ammo

We both started off good and pretty much even in emptying the mag, but strangely we both had a misfeed at the same time, I quickly cocked the rifle at an angle and racked the slide (on a AK it would ether eject the round or chamber it) in this case it chambered the round and I finished the mag

He had to play with the charging handle and drop the mag to get the round out, while speaking French

So other then the steel case ammo I had no problem with the side charger and it seamed to fit my knowledge of side charging rifles

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I sent two Pmags back due to wide feedlips, they were totally professionals and replaced them free, cost me shipping one way! Bought two ProMag SIG 320 magazines neither will lock into gun and ProMag said tough shit, that I should not have bought them NEW on Ebay! Even though the packaging advertised "Lifetime Warranty"
    Friends don't let friends buy Promags. I've never had a Promag, but I never hear anything good about them.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    I didn't read every response, so I don't know if it has been suggested yet, but take a course or train with your weapon. Rotate the mags while training and if they are going to fail, they will fail while you train with them. If you are using quality mags they most likely won't malfunction.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I didn't read every response, so I don't know if it has been suggested yet, but take a course or train with your weapon. Rotate the mags while training and if they are going to fail, they will fail while you train with them. If you are using quality mags they most likely won't malfunction.
    Welcome to the Forum!

Top Bottom