• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I try to shoot with both eyes open. I have no idea if it's correct but I feel it gives me a better sight picture.
    DK Firearms

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I shoot all my guns, handguns and longguns, with both eyes open. Not sure why, but I've always done it.

I was hesitant about getting a red dot for my rifle, but I read that it would allow me to shoot using both eyes. It definitely works. Almost cheating I guess (as opposed to iron sights) but if it keeps me on target, I’m good with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    For target shooting both eyes open but occlude the non dominant eye. Masking tape on glasses works. I’ve got a flip down blinder. Closing an eye creates a sympathetic pupil dilation in the other eye. You want the pupils tight and sharp therefore keep 100 % of available light in play. Without occlusion, you’ll see annoying double targets if you’re truly focused on the front sight.

GMA8877

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2019
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    How new is the pistol? I've had a few unfired that took over 50 rounds to shoot to point of aim. What ammo? Specifically what weight of bullet? Contrary to popular belief, a light and fast bullet will hit lower than a heavy and slow bullet. (This applies to handguns only).

Now that equipment has been addressed. Shooting pistols is not difficult, but it can be if you are nervous or just plain trying too hard. It's an acquired skill, and a diminishing skill for most everyone. Granted, I've seen a few first time shooters who just line up the sights and punch bullseyes.

Just keep shooting. If Ben English posts in here. Pay attention.

“Contrary to popular belief, a light and fast bullet will hit lower than a heavy and slow bullet. (This applies to handguns only).”
    Not arguing but trying to learn. Why is that?

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Heavier bullets spend more time in the barrel and recoil lifts them with the barrel. Light, speedy bullets are gone before the barrel rises appreciably.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Met up yesterday with someone from the forum and they helped tremendously. Not only on my form, but mentally as well. A lot of overthinking on my part is one of the problems I was having. At the range we met at, I noticed there were almost as many holes in the ceiling and walls as there were on the back wall! What the hell are people doing? I know I’m a bad shot, but I don’t think I’ve ever even come close to hitting the side wall or ceiling. Kinda scary thinking there are people that could be right next to you that are that dangerous!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There are a bunch of bullet impacts on the left wall, 15 feet from where you were standing, that were put there by an "instructor" who is no longer welcome there.

Yes, "kinda scary" is an accurate way to describe some of the people at public ranges.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I’ve only been to 2 other ranges. One is outdoor and the other opened 2 weeks ago. I always worry about the one I go to now because they rent guns including a couple .50 caliber handguns and several AR15’s and AR10’s. I guess it’s a good thing to let people try out a gun before they purchase it, but I can also see an opportunity for someone with no experience to say they fired a Desert Eagle.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If you hang around, you will hear someone mention "situation awareness".
    Be aware of your surroundings and what people around you are doing.

Always.

Regardless of the skill level, anytime you mix people with anything that is potentially dangerous, there is a chance someone will do something stupid.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    should you decide to take a class from an instructor, don't be afraid to ask for the instructors certifications, experience, etc. check out any videos, pictures they have, AAR's on various forums.

lots of fakes out there, and even worse, people who aren't fakes, but still have no business telling other people how to shoot.

bad instructors are terribly common, and even when they do things like throwing a students gun, shooting another instructor, or challenges critics to gunfights in South America, they still have people who defend them.

be careful, and do your research

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    should you decide to take a class from an instructor
    Technically, that's what he did Sunday.

even worse, people who aren't fakes, but still have no business telling other people how to shoot.

bad instructors are terribly common,
    We need a multi-like button.

At the last class I took, within the past year, the instructor had all the certs, was ex-LEO, and had various tales about how he'd been there and done that. But he couldn't teach worth crap. It was a waste of time and money.

Andyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Technically, that's what he did Sunday.

We need a multi-like button.

At the last class I took, within the past year, the instructor had all the certs, was ex-LEO, and had various tales about how he'd been there and done that. But he couldn't teach worth crap. It was a waste of time and money.

Being able to do something well and teaching it, are two very different things. A student's performance has to be analysed and small mistakes have to be caught and corrected.

I had been a shooting coach in private pistol clubs for decades and successfully have prepared many of my students for different levels of competitions. As there are shooting instructors that are better than others, there are also students that are more talented than others.

Andyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    I
    Are you a bullseye shooter? Curious since you posted that link.

I shot UIT / ISSF pistol matches but a link in German might not help the forum members as much as this one in English :).

I had used the bullseye instructions also in Germany for all members, that were fluent in English. It is an excellent and fairly brief instruction.

Top Bottom