Join TexasGunTalk

Terrible shot!

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by CodyK, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Frank59

Frank59 NO MA'AM!! TGT Supporter

May 14, 2018
    Houston
    Makes perfect sense. Thanks Ben

Wildcat Diva likes this.
  2. t-astragal

t-astragal Member

Mar 4, 2015
    College Station

What is the goal? If you want to hit a full size torso target at less than 25 yards, both eyes open and seeing double is fine. Actually it really won’t matter if you aim at all. Your finger will either do it’s job and you’ll hit or it’ll flinch and you’ll miss.

If you want to hit a clay pigeon sized target at 50 yards, you’ll need that cooperative finger and you’ll need to only see one rear and one target. You gotta aim now. So you will need to limit vision in the non dominant eye by squinting, closing, or covering it.

I think pistol shooters get all wrapped up in tactical /defensive techniques and never really learn the fundamentals of firing a well aimed shot. There are reasons to train for speed and tactics but if you can only have one skill, it should be accuracy. Missing very quickly doesn’t win a gunfight or a shooting match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildcat Diva and Byrd666 like this.
  3. avvidclif

avvidclif RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I shoot skeet and trap with both eyes open, just gotta know which bird to shoot at. I also shoot pistols the same way. FWIW

4. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You sound like a bullseye shooter. Oh, wait. You are a bullseye shooter. :)

This is the first thing you've said with which I disagree. You and I aim a certain way. Our shot process is a certain way. Defensive shooters are different but I don't believe they are so different that it doesn't matter if they aim. Some of the folks at the top of the action shooting sports have written for years about the need to aim, about how it's not possible to miss fast enough to win a match.

I accept the utility of the flash sight picture or, as Doug Koenig likes to call it, the acceptable sight picture. The defensive trainers I trust pretty much all preach using the sights if the target is more than a couple of yards away.
    Truer words have never been spoken. It's really sad to see, too. There are quite good defensive shooters who couldn't stay in the black on a bullseye target if they tried. What's sad is that if they had learned the bullseye fundamentals first, way back when they started, they'd be much better defensive shooters now.

And that's enough of me editorializing.

5. t-astragal

t-astragal Member

Mar 4, 2015
    College Station

Byrd666 and ZX9RCAM like this.