Join TexasGunTalk

Terrible shot!

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by CodyK, Oct 2, 2019.

1. CodyK

CodyK Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I am pretty new to guns. A few weeks ago I got my first handgun, a Ruger Security 9mm, and have been to the range several times. I enjoy the hell outta shooting it, but I am a terrible shot! I don’t know if it’s my grip or what. I will be consistently low for 4 or 5 shots (I think I am aiming dead center of the target) and then I will hit 1 or 2 dead center. But I love practicing and ammo is cheap, so hopefully I’ll get more consistent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Practice.
    Squeeze the trigger slowly.

Repeat.

Texasgordo likes this.
  3. Bithabus

Bithabus ! TGT Supporter

Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

claymore504 likes this.
  4. Mikewood

Mikewood Well-Known

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Try the ball and dummy drill.
    Take three or four magazines. Load one with a live round the rest with snap caps. Place them in a shooting bag. Shake the bag. Now without looking at the gun load it with a mag from the bag. Focus on the front sight and press the trigger. Did you flinch? If so it’s low and left. Dry fire 25 times. Now unload and repeat the exercise until you don’t flinch.

jordanmills, no2gates and zackmars like this.
  5. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    How new is the pistol? I've had a few unfired that took over 50 rounds to shoot to point of aim. What ammo? Specifically what weight of bullet? Contrary to popular belief, a light and fast bullet will hit lower than a heavy and slow bullet. (This applies to handguns only).

Now that equipment has been addressed. Shooting pistols is not difficult, but it can be if you are nervous or just plain trying too hard. It's an acquired skill, and a diminishing skill for most everyone. Granted, I've seen a few first time shooters who just line up the sights and punch bullseyes.

Just keep shooting. If Ben English posts in here. Pay attention.

jordanmills, karlac, Southpaw and 2 others like this.
  6. Dawico

Dawico Uncoiled Lifetime Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Eyes on the front sight at all times.

Press the trigger slowly and follow through.

Aimed dry fire is your best friend right now.

7. CodyK

CodyK Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I thought I threw that target out before anyone could see it!!! Low and left, that sums it up!!! Gun is 3 weeks old. Been to the range 4 times. About 2-300 rounds through it. Shooting Winchester 115 grain I believe. The cheap ones. 500 rounds for $99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    For a right handed shooter, low and to the left usually means anticipating recoil.

jordanmills and toddnjoyce like this.
  9. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere TGT Supporter

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Dancing Heretik likes this.
  10. Glenn B

Glenn B Active Member TGT Supporter

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    If you are ever in the Texarkana area, send me a PM. I have been a certified firearms instructor for many years and will go to the range with you and help you out. Of course, it probably would be much more practical and timely for you to seek out a qualified instructor in your area who teaches a basic pistol course. I recommend an NRA certified instructor. Not only will you be taught the basics of actually shooting but you will get some good info about firearms safety as well. As for continuing to practice, without the benefit of having been instructed in proper techniques, you run the risk of continually practicing the wrong technique(s) and that will not help improve your shooting. Good luck with it, whatever you decide.

Wildcat Diva and Southpaw like this.