• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    For years I lived in Paris, and then moved just a few miles away to Reno. Paris is big enough to have a lot of the conveniences of a larger city, but it's got a small town feel to it. Reno is like a suburb to it, but it's a suburb that's a 10 minute walk away from miles and miles of country. There's a walking trail that goes from Reno into Paris. You can be on the community college's campus in maybe an hour or less. Reno is about 2-3 miles away from a Walmart and a decently sized strip mall. There's also a lot of restaurants in that part of town. We didn't live under an HOA when we lived in Reno, and there's a shooting range within a reasonable distance. It's maybe a 15 minute drive around the loop to the other side of Paris. It's a members only range and is the kind of place where you can be completely by yourself at times during the week. The rifle range goes out to 200 yards IIRC, and they have a bunch of pistol lanes off to the side. They would have a few shooting competitions a month back when I was a member there.

I do not recall their stance on NFA weapons. Suppressors and SBRs are likely ok. Full auto may be a problem.

Outside of the loop is the best place to live around Paris. I'd avoid the west side of town as it's a bit rough and kind of out of the way. There's not a whole lot west of the town square (the town square is pretty nice, lots of small shops). The East side just outside the loop is the really nice area to live.

Paris is not even remotely close to Houston though. They might as well be on different sides of the country.
    DK Firearms

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I live in Pipe Creek in Bandera County, 15 minutes to HEB Plus and Walmart, 30 minutes to Costco, 45 Minutes to San Antonio airport, and most important 15 minutes to the gun range.
    15 minutes by helicopter? You talking the HEB Plus at 1604 or in Boerne?

I have seen a helicopter land at El Chaparral twice to pick-up food. Was that you?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I'm ready to leave the big city behind & retire to some place small & quiet. For years I pictured owning some acreage, but ended up to gimpy in my old age to deal with it. While I say small town I really don't want to drive an hour for groceries & I have no plans of shopping Dollar General.

Having a place to go shoot is still important, a big plus if I can run my NFA. No HOA & resonable taxes are a must. 4 hours any direction other the south of Houston are my plans. I still have friends I would like to see from time to time.

baboon,

Fyi, I'm from PITTSBURG in NETX. = We have GREAT fishing, hunting & GROW MORE PEACHES than the entire "Peach State" of GA.
    Also, our local PITTSBURG PIRATES are a frequent "power" in AAA HS athletics.

ADDENDA: I know of no place other than CAMP COUNTY where there is at least a DOZEN places just off the major North-South Highway where commercial peach orchards sell peaches at wholesale prices to the general public AND where you can also buy dishes of FRESHLY-made PEACH ICE CREAM from April until Labor Day AT those same orchards.

It's less than an hour to TYLER & LONGVIEW & NOT far from SHREVEPORT, LA, for places to shop.

yours, satx

Last edited:

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Best thing about my town (Teague) is that it's close to other towns that have some common sense leadership and economic development. Our city government is made of morons....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Where I live only checks two of those boxes, small and quiet. Well three if you count shooting. Closest store is about 11 miles and calling it a "store" is almost dishonest. No internet except what you can sorta get on a cell phone. UPS has difficulty finding it because GPS says it's about a mile and a half from here. Nope, this ain't the place if you need all those luxuries.
    The internet/cell thing is easy to fix. Get a cell amplifier with a directional antenna, put it on a pole like your tv antenna pointed at a cell tower, and it should light stuff up just fine. Should cost well under $200. For added fun, you can put it on a switched outlet and only turn it on when you want to deal with having a working cell phone.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Best thing about my town (Teague) is that it's close to other towns that have some common sense leadership and economic development. Our city government is made of morons....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Teague is were my inlaws live. The wife has cousins there too. The inlays are reason enough for me to avoid it. The inlaws have been there 15 years, I have never been in that house!

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    The internet/cell thing is easy to fix. Get a cell amplifier with a directional antenna, put it on a pole like your tv antenna pointed at a cell tower, and it should light stuff up just fine. Should cost well under $200. For added fun, you can put it on a switched outlet and only turn it on when you want to deal with having a working cell phone.

Pretty much what I did except the switched outlet and the under $200 parts. Added a signal amp and indoor antennna. Appreciate the reply, good info.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I'm enjoying the lack of traffic. I came from near Myrtle Beach, SC. Traffic is horrible with a normal 20 minute commute taking about 45 minutes to an hour about 3 times a week. In the summertime, it's worse.

Here, there are a couple of other small towns around where we can get almost anything we need. Beaumont is just a few minutes away and there is about anything that you want.

When things open up, I need to find a place to shoot. I'm used to shooting outside on private property but I guess I'll have to go to range. Handgun shooting is a perishable skill and I'll be anxious to get back to shooting.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    No saying, no soothing, just an observation. I doubt I'm a alone.

The messenger is not the problem.

Top Bottom