• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    There's a guy who is grateful for his success. He hit rock bottom in his business and financials not long after he started and built the business back, one stupid commercial after another. And by treating people right. I remember back when his showroom grew by buying the houses next door, connecting to them, and putting out more furniture in the new space. He personally helped my mom finance some furniture and was fair and forthcoming about everything.

In my personal experience, that man has a solid reputation and it's well-deserved.

Jim has become a Texas ICON, like Corsicana Pecan Pies, Joe Cotton BBQ, Shiner Beer, or White Wing Tortillas. Believe it or not, we hear his ads way over here, some 100 miles into Louisiana.

leVieux
    Hurley's Gold

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    We’re still sleeping on a Gallery king from ‘97. Two pregnancies, my fattest 220 but now 180.

I met Mac in summer ‘77, shortly before the fall. He has picked himself back up!

Last two beds came from The Dump, smiles all around. Sales folks are slime but I got a name for a good one if you’re shopping on the north side. Old guy, hope he made it past Hannakuh; young guys there are liars & thieves.

gamboolman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Spring, Texas - Retired
    Time to buy a new mattress because wife and I both are getting stiff/ sore backs with the current setup. Mattesses that the box stores are carrying seem like they’ve cheapened out and it just doesn’t seem like they last as long as they used to. They start out comfortable, but it only lasts a few years Current setup is about 4 years old. I’ve had Simmons, Serta, Sealy, and they all pretty much are the same. Memory foam didn’t work out. For some stupid reason, manufacturers aren’t making the mattesses flipable any longer, so I can only rotate them head to toe.
    In my research, I found Texas Mattress Makers. Their website says they make the mattresses here in Houston using American made material. I don’t know if that means USA or if it means South America. Does anyone here have experience with their product? I’m seeing mixed reviews online. They seem to be a little higher priced than the big box stores, but not by much.
    I retired 1-Feb-21 and ms gamboolgal got her new furniture and mattresses that she had patiently been waiting on for the 40 some odd year before I retired.

We bought Tempurpedic adjustable mattress for the Master and a couple of regular Temperpedics for the Guest Rooms.

And new Bed Room Furniture - again, she deserved it all.

We bought from Gallery of Furniture and got 0% financing - so if the markets do well....

Do recommend Temperpedic. Be advised they are not cheap....

gamboolman....

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    >
    The ENTIRE mattress retail business in an ongoing scam. Manufacturers don't use standard model names, so it is impossible to compare.

The two reasonable ways to get a decent mattress at a decent price today are:

!) Get someone in the hotel industry to get you one when they order; they "buy direct".

2) Go to Sam's Club, read the tags, close your eyes, and guess.

All attempts to get either honest data or a really decent price at any mattress store or furniture place will be thwarted by the "system" !

leVieux

100%

This podcast on the mattress industry reveals how the industry works.

There are nearly as many mattress stores as Starbucks locations…why so many for a product we buy so seldom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston

Gedunk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2020
    Austin
    Time to buy a new mattress because wife and I both are getting stiff/ sore backs with the current setup. Mattesses that the box stores are carrying seem like they’ve cheapened out and it just doesn’t seem like they last as long as they used to. They start out comfortable, but it only lasts a few years Current setup is about 4 years old. I’ve had Simmons, Serta, Sealy, and they all pretty much are the same. Memory foam didn’t work out. For some stupid reason, manufacturers aren’t making the mattesses flipable any longer, so I can only rotate them head to toe.
    In my research, I found Texas Mattress Makers. Their website says they make the mattresses here in Houston using American made material. I don’t know if that means USA or if it means South America. Does anyone here have experience with their product? I’m seeing mixed reviews online. They seem to be a little higher priced than the big box stores, but not by much.
    We have the same problem. After 8 years our $1200 mattress has crushed down the memory foam and we are considering a removable topper style. I think the top zips off and is replaceable. Charles P Rogers mattresses might be a player.

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Wife and I broke down and bought a high end Temperpedic last night. First time venturing from standard spring mattress. I am nervous. Delivery scheduled for tomorrow.

I can honestly say, mattress salesmen are maybe one notch above a used car salesman.

P.S. If you bring a note in from a doctor or chiropractor stating you need a Specific size bed (king in our case) for a prescription, it is tax free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Another football game deal.
    His team wins, your temperpedic mattress is free.

Wow, I can remember watching wrestling 10pm during the mid/late ‘80s. They would always play his commercials jumping around with a fist full of cash. Low budget and cheesy coms that played alongside Spanish Mr Norman coms, Rodney D Young coms, and Adler &O’connor ambulance chaser coms. He’s come a long way since that time and he’s given a lot back to the community.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    it hooked me and now I know more about the mattress industry than I ever thought I would LOL
    Then I'll refer back to my earlier post and suggest you stay away from the YouTube channels devoted to mattress testing. You can lose hours that way.

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    Wow, I can remember watching wrestling 10pm during the mid/late ‘80s. They would always play his commercials jumping around with a fist full of cash. Low budget and cheesy coms that played alongside Spanish Mr Norman coms, Rodney D Young coms, and Adler &O’connor ambulance chaser coms. He’s come a long way since that time and he’s given a lot back to the community.
    Growing up in Houston, I always remember hearing his adds. Yeah they were cheesy, but you remembered them. "Gallery Furniture really will save you money!!!"

The wife and I bought our couches from GF when we moved into our home back in '14. Most comfortable couches every, good sleepers two. A couple of years back, one of the cushion cover seams started to split, and they sent two new covers within a day or so. We definitely love GF.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Growing up in Houston, I always remember hearing his adds. Yeah they were cheesy, but you remembered them. "Gallery Furniture really will save you money!!!"
    It's really cool to listen to his talk on how those ads came into being.

He and his family were renting space at a local TV studio in the middle of the night to shoot those ads. They could only afford to rent after hours because they were so short of cash. In fact, his first ad where he pulls cash out of his back pocket and says "Gallery Furniture really will save you money!" was completely improvised. None of their scripts had been working and everything felt like a complete waste of time. Pulling out the money was literally a stream-of-consciousness thing he made up on the spot out of sheer frustration. And the only reason he had that money was because he hadn't had time to deposit his daily cash receipts in the bank.

A few weeks later, he and his family had gotten into the habit of staying up late and watching the commercials when they were scheduled to appear because, again, middle of the night rates were all that he could afford. The problem was the commercials weren't playing. He called the account rep at the TV station and they told him that everyone at the station felt the commercials were so amateurish that they were embarrassed to air them. They were simply hoping he didn't notice.

He got them to play the commercials after pointing out that they had had no problem accepting his money to do so. They reluctantly agreed.

A legend was born.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Two months on the TMM mattress, and all is well. We don't wake up sore any longer, although I do understand that two months is not enough time to tell long term quality. It is about one or two inches taller than our old mattress, but its not really noticeable. They offer a shorter box spring I could have gotten, but it didn’t occur to me at the time.. Overall, we are happy with it.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    It's really cool to listen to his talk on how those ads came into being.

He and his family were renting space at a local TV studio in the middle of the night to shoot those ads. They could only afford to rent after hours because they were so short of cash. In fact, his first ad where he pulls cash out of his back pocket and says "Gallery Furniture really will save you money!" was completely improvised. None of their scripts had been working and everything felt like a complete waste of time. Pulling out the money was literally a stream-of-consciousness thing he made up on the spot out of sheer frustration. And the only reason he had that money was because he hadn't had time to deposit his daily cash receipts in the bank.

A few weeks later, he and his family had gotten into the habit of staying up late and watching the commercials when they were scheduled to appear because, again, middle of the night rates were all that he could afford. The problem was the commercials weren't playing. He called the account rep at the TV station and they told him that everyone at the station felt the commercials were so amateurish that they were embarrassed to air them. They were simply hoping he didn't notice.

He got them to play the commercials after pointing out that they had had no problem accepting his money to do so. They reluctantly agreed.

A legend was born.

Decided to reply via p.m. leVieux

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >

We had tried the original "memory foam" job while living @ Brownsville around 2000, but it was too hot. Like wearing a 6" foam insulation suit. With A/C on 60F, top half of body was freezing and bottom half sweating 00's.

Back in 2010 on my last "Cancer Rodeo", we stayed at the M D Anderson Hotel run by Marriott. The mattress was great and they were selling them for a discount to cancer patients, it was a Sealy non"memory foam". Liked it, but a decade on, time for new.

Before I lost almost 60#, was on CPAP, asked my "Sleep Doc" re how to pick a new mattress. He explained that the manufacturers are ALL in a racket in which there are no consistent model names or numbers, designed to foil customers from actually comparison shopping.

He advised just going to Sam's Club and picking one up, as there is no way to successfully "test" a mattress by lying on it in a mattress store. It is all a crap shoot, and every mattress store and furniture store is in on the racket.

As someone on here noted, when we sleep on an "old" mattress in one of our guest rooms, they always seem better than the one in our bedroom, despite it having been replaced and "rotated-out" years earlier.

Also, as noted by others, losing weight has really helped with everything. Not only am I currently down from 258# to 192#, but I' also down from 6'2" to around 5'10.5", as old age shrinks EVERYTHING !

Now we are in need of another new one. Guess I'll go to Sam's while Bride is next off visiting at her Mom's.

leVieux

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    leVieux,

"but I' also down from 6'2" to around 5'10.5", as old age shrinks EVERYTHING !"

Maybe your tape measure is off...

I cannot imagine that much height loss...are you sure?

If so, I'm doomed to disappear from sight soon.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've lost 2 inches in height as I've gotten old.

My dad liked to tell the story of the guy he knew who was too short to join the army in WWII. He spent a couple of days lying down and had his friends periodically stretch him by the arms and ankles. They carried him to the enlistment center on a board. The folks at the enlistment center were sympathetic so they measured his height as soon as he stood up. He'd gained about an inch and a half and that was enough for him to enlist.

Height changes. We don't think of height as something that varies but it does.

Top Bottom