• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I was a union worker once lasted one year.
    It took 14 years for them to stop sending me news letters and voting info for union leaders. Only thing great about a Union is the insurance.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The vast majority of unions have out-lived their usefulness in current times, other than to act as political surrogates, or the private coffers of upper union leadership.

There was a time when unions served a purpose, and that was to protect and fight for it's members, or the workers. That time has long passed by.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    What is more agravating about that Katy stadium is they floated a bond for it alone and it failed. Then the wrapped it up in a bigger bond claiming it was for new schools and refurb on old ones and of course they stadium lie about how much it would cost.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    The vast majority of unions have out-lived their usefulness in current times, other than to act as political surrogates, or the private coffers of upper union leadership.

There was a time when unions served a purpose, and that was to protect and fight for it's members, or the workers. That time has long passed by.
    I worked at several plants which had unions. Some of the workers would intimidate a new employee to join. Most of the meetings the union couldn't vote on union business due to lack of attendance of their members.

Last edited:

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I was a union worker once lasted one year.
    It took 14 years for them to stop sending me news letters and voting info for union leaders. Only thing great about a Union is the insurance.

My first full time job out of High School was with AT&T, for which membership in the Communication Workers of America (CWA) ((Sounds like commies, don't it)).

They took my dues. Forced me to work slower and take all break periods by threatening me with violence. Went out on strike twice in the 3 years I worked there. The last strike went on for 2 months, then the union settled for EXACTLY the same thing as the first offer from the company. DUMB and USELESS!!

But my middle brother is a Verizon retiree. He stayed with it and made really high pay compared to everybody in non union jobs. So he claims that wouldn't have happened w/o the union. I tell him my phone bill wouldn't be so high w/o them paying him so much.

More than 20 yrs ago, I got a peek at a spreadsheet on the local electric utility employees... they were making $60/hr on overtime. Guess I was in the wrong union.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    What is more agravating about that Katy stadium is they floated a bond for it alone and it failed. Then the wrapped it up in a bigger bond claiming it was for new schools and refurb on old ones and of course they stadium lie about how much it would cost.
    Never voted yes for a bond.

Our little ISD passed one a couple years ago for a field. It passed by 1 single vote. I think it should have to have a majority to pass, 75% or something.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I've been married to a couple of teachers. In Texas their unions aren't unions in the traditional sense. They don't get collective bargaining, no meet and confer, they can't strike. Teacher unions are a non issue in Texas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Yep. Everyone around here thinks their 5' tall son is going to be the next football star. Its a racket
    My sister’s youngest is a boy. His dad split when he was born. Being raised around two sisters & a mom he started out to being a squat pisser.

Somewhere he became a big jock. Growing up my brother & I really were never into it, so the influence came from who knows. My dad use to bitch about the “lazy little bastard” who laid on the couch drinking mass quantities of Gatorade, but wouldn’t cut grass or pick up his dogs shit.

All through high school he was said to be the best all round athlete in their small town. All sports got him was a hot little cheer leader girl friend he knocked up. He went off to college to be the next superstar. Baseball was suppose to be his best sport. My dad had a friend who was a required for several teams & said the kid wasn’t shit.

I have seen the racket first hand. The boy went on to have 5 kids with 4 different women. Recently he & my sister went in together on big house. Which is good because he never really left her tit.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    I just hope someday, my fellow citizens, some conservative brethren, will resist the temptation to fall all over themselves in a rush to the polls to vote "yes" for each and every multimillion dollar bond package to fund Lord knows what while real education falls by the wayside only to be replaced by partisan indoctrination.

Most times when people scream that it's for the kids, it's for anything but.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    High school sports is one of the biggest scams that has ever been perpetrated on the American public. And sadly, many teachers are in on the scam, or have been in some way. They make the kids promises that can never be kept, and further perpetrate the scam on the parents and the community with asking for more money for the sports programs, and more equipment and a huge stadium. None of which can give a kid what he really needs to succeed in sports, which is talent, commitment and desire to succeed.

I had read some where in some magazine article years ago, that only about one in every 100K students ever goes from high school, into college, ever makes it into pro sports.

It's a scam, and we the tax-payers are paying out the nose for it every year.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    And the scam goes on into college.

Posh universities have been financed on the backs of student-loan debt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    High school sports is one of the biggest scams that has ever been perpetrated on the American public.
    Agree in part, disagree in part.

They make the kids promises that can never be kept, and further perpetrate the scam on the parents and the community with asking for more money for the sports programs, and more equipment and a huge stadium. None of which can give a kid what he really needs to succeed in sports, which is talent, commitment and desire to succeed.
    That's the part that burns me up.

Making a living in professional sports is like making a living as a pop star. Statistically, no one succeeds. Yes, a few do and we are bombarded with images of those unicorns on TV and in other media all the time. Kids can't be blamed for believing the lie that sports or music or writing best-selling fiction books is a legitimate goal. It's not. If someone succeeds, they're so rare that their numbers are a rounding error compared to the number of people trying.

Anyone who sells school sports as a gateway to adult employment as a sports star is lying. It's a path that's statistically just a step or two above trying to make a living by buying lottery tickets. Lottery tickets are fun if you have a couple of bucks to waste but no rational person would actually try to make money off them.

Now about the part I disagree with you on.

I don't think that high school sports are a complete scam. Learning to cooperate with teammates and work under a set of rules to achieve a jointly-desired goal is very valuable. Team sports for youngsters do that and seem to do it better than most alternative methods.

Of course, they don't necessarily have to be a part of the school curricula. Little League is great and one of the best learning experiences I had when I was a kid. I imagine there are lots of other independent team sports organizations that can serve that function as well.

But when the fetishization and commercialization and politics of high school sports (along with the need of some parents to live vicariously through their kids) results in multi-million dollar high school football stadiums, then, yeah, I can't disagree with the notion that the whole system needs to be scrapped.

We could do a lot better.

PS - Will I be drummed out of TGT for pointing out that the de-emphasis on sports present in most European educational systems is a desirable thing? Schools over there have teams but they're mostly run on limited funds for the kids to learn to work together and get some exercise. To everyone else, they're not even on their perceptual radar.

I don't want European gun laws but I really wish the USA would adopt their attitudes towards school sports.

Admiring something European. It's heresy, I know. I await the coordinated derision of the TGT community. :)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

That’s not an isolated incident.

In Whitney they tried for 20 years to pass a bond for a new stadium and couldn’t push it through.

Then they started tacking it on to any additions/renovation bonds for the school so they just failed.

Finally it go to the point that the schools were full so a new bond came up, 3 bonds over 3 years. The first bond was touted as a stadium, plus bus barn, plus school and the tax payer cost/increase was listed. In reality it was ONLY for the stadium, with bonds 2 and 3 being for the bus barn, and then the actual school.

They also set it so that the first tax increase wouldn’t happen for just over a year after the bond was passed. So when the second bond came up and you mention to someone about taxes getting high the idiots would say “my taxes didn’t change at all”.

4 years after the first bond passed all of the taxes increases were finally in effect, and suddenly the people that voted for the shit started complaining about the tasks. These people prey on the stupid and gullible.

Whitney football team is still crap. Nobody is going pro, no scouts are coming to watch. But at least the people who moved to Whitney to escape the city can still have all those big city things they thought they were trying to get away from, like high taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Agree in part, disagree in part.

That's the part that burns me up.

Making a living in professional sports is like making a living as a pop star. Statistically, no one succeeds. Yes, a few do and we are bombarded with images of those unicorns on TV and in other media all the time. Kids can't be blamed for believing the lie that sports or music or writing best-selling fiction books is a legitimate goal. It's not. If someone succeeds, they're so rare that their numbers are a rounding error compared to the number of people trying.

Anyone who sells school sports as a gateway to adult employment as a sports star is lying. It's a path that's statistically just a step or two above trying to make a living by buying lottery tickets. Lottery tickets are fun if you have a couple of bucks to waste but no rational person would actually try to make money off them.

Now about the part I disagree with you on.

I don't think that high school sports are a complete scam. Learning to cooperate with teammates and work under a set of rules to achieve a jointly-desired goal is very valuable. Team sports for youngsters do that and seem to do it better than most alternative methods.

Of course, they don't necessarily have to be a part of the school curricula. Little League is great and one of the best learning experiences I had when I was a kid. I imagine there are lots of other independent team sports organizations that can serve that function as well.

But when the fetishization and commercialization and politics of high school sports (along with the need of some parents to live vicariously through their kids) results in multi-million dollar high school football stadiums, then, yeah, I can't disagree with the notion that the whole system needs to be scrapped.

We could do a lot better.

PS - Will I be drummed out of TGT for pointing out that the de-emphasis on sports present in most European educational systems is a desirable thing? Schools over there have teams but they're mostly run on limited funds for the kids to learn to work together and get some exercise. To everyone else, they're not even on their perceptual radar.

I don't want European gun laws but I really wish the USA would adopt their attitudes towards school sports.

Admiring something European. It's heresy, I know. I await the coordinated derision of the TGT community. :)
    I agree.
    I've argued against school sports for decades.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom