• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    A lot of teachers will join a union for liability insurance. Parents can sue you for nearly anything, and the school will never defend you. Of course, in parts of the country, it's mandatory to join a union. My father was a teacher for many years. I can remember him reading the union magazine that they insisted on sending him, and then yelling some expletives about communists as he threw it in the trash.

Our public school system is a complete train wreck. I don't know if it can be salvaged. Of course, I'm beginning to think that about the federal government as well.

School boards don't exist to teach kids; they exist to spend taxpayer's money. It isn't just teacher salaries, it's also building maintenance, cafeteria food, vehicles, etc. School boards hire superintendents to keep parents from interfering with their spending (esp. taking care of their political buddies.) Superintendents hire principals to watch over the teachers and make sure they don't offend anyone who might interfere with the school board. If a kid actually learns something, it's a miracle.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    No Teacher Unions in Texas, another reason why we are better.
    Correct. Organizations like TCTA and ATPE are professional support organizations that provide members with limited representation and benefits. They can't participate in collective bargaining, strikes, or other union-type activities per state law. At best, they're like the NRA or TSRA though not as successful in lobbying. That's also why teacher pay and retirement benefits in Texas are crap. Most of the teacher issues you hear about can be traced back to sorry administrators and school board members. Teachers themselves don't get a lot of say in what they're required to teach or in policies made. And that's why there are a lot fewer teachers to be found.

I'm for school choice and vouchers....as long as public schools get to play by the same rules as private schools.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >
    Citizens have been taught to view elections as "popularity contests", and to accept "whatever sounds good", w/o any critical thinking.

Then anyone who disagrees publicly is labeled as "against the kids".

And the "news" then runs with that meme. . . . . . . .

Meanwhile, massive federal cash-grants go to those who "develop educational theories" instead of actually teaching. The resulting absurdities are then used for formation of policies.

Small wonder !

leVieux

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    Many folks don't realize that the Dept.of Education was created only in recent history- it began in 1980 after Jimmy Carter signed it into law in 1979. To think that my K-12 years had no such department (I graduated in 1979), and did just fine without it. This useless, money draining swamp should be abolished, since it is the source for the country's indoctrination of children in public schools.

School boards don't exist to teach kids; they exist to spend taxpayer's money. It isn't just teacher salaries, it's also building maintenance, cafeteria food, vehicles, etc. School boards hire superintendents to keep parents from interfering with their spending (esp. taking care of their political buddies.) Superintendents hire principals to watch over the teachers and make sure they don't offend anyone who might interfere with the school board.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Many folks don't realize that the Dept.of Education was created only in recent history- it began in 1980 after Jimmy Carter signed it into law in 1979. To think that my K-12 years had no such department (I graduated in 1979), and did just fine without it. This useless, money draining swamp should be abolished, since it is the source for the country's indoctrination of children in public schools.

Yep, "EXACKERLY" !

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    No Teacher Unions in Texas - legally they claim not to be unions but function the same. Texas is a right to work state so (almost) no forced union membership. IIRC they all belong to the state 'union' - accreditation board - tsta/nea. Texas law now prevents the schools from (supposedly) spending so much on stadiums but robin hood law is how they get around it.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    No Teacher Unions in Texas - legally they claim not to be unions but function the same. Texas is a right to work state so (almost) no forced union membership. IIRC they all belong to the state 'union' - accreditation board - tsta/nea. Texas law now prevents the schools from (supposedly) spending so much on stadiums but robin hood law is how they get around it.

Texas Education Agency is the accreditation agency, and it's a state government agency. TSTA isn't mandatory. It's another professional organization like I referred to in my prior post. And the teachers' organizations aren't the ones pushing for the stadiums.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

bk17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Michigan for now
    Unions are scam for sure, only to benefit the union (not the members) and the democrat party. School sports, oh how I dislike the important placed on student athletes. yes team building skills, leadership, let off steam, sure that's all fine but I send my child to learn not play games and certainly don't want my tax money spent on that crap. rather see students who can think critically and not just fall for whatever BS is put in front of them. Question everything, even if it sounds good or right. AKA not sheep, not democrat, not republican, just an individual with a brain.

Top Bottom