3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    The govt luvs us

We make good incomes
    So much so that we get very few deductions only really are house taxes

Have recordable 9 to 5 jobs and no investments to hide the money

So we get bent

I hear you. My wife stays at home but I still get phased out of almost all the deductions and credits.

I need to open a business again.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    This may or may not be good advice. Just ask the folks that had to sell out at a loss during the last downturn.
    One size does not fit all.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    When we went with tax person they said we need to buy a house just to write stuff off

Not really good advice. Unless you have other deductions, or buy a really expensive house, the tax and interest deductions are not enough where you come out better than the standard deduction. At least that is my case. I think it's a good idea to buy a house, just not for that reason alone.

I was able to deduct taxes and interest for only the first 3 years. The interest you pay gets less each year and the standard deduction increases.

Last edited:

xcrazydx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2014
    This.

I owed $105 last year and I'm getting $301 back this year. I consider that I'm keeping my withholding tolerably close to where it should be. Somebody that misses the mark by just $50 is doing far better than the overwhelming majority of taxpayers.
    That's true but some people look forward to getting money back for whatever reason.

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett
    What's commonly overlooked is if you aren't getting back as much is there was change in the S.S. withholdings in pass couple years. If you didn't pay in enough you'll come up short.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Not really good advice. Unless you have other deductions, or buy a really expensive house, the tax and interest deductions are not enough where you come out better than the standard deduction. At least that is my case. I think it's a good idea to buy a house, just not for that reason alone.

I was able to deduct taxes and interest for only the first 3 years. The interest you pay gets less each year and the standard deduction increases.
    He meant a 2nd house.

We already have an exp house by avg people standard at over 250

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I use taxes as a non-interest paying savings (now-a-days normal savings accts don't pay anyway..)

using Turbo Tax (as I do each year) I submitted my return to the irs, via the internet, on 4 Feb and just this morning, 10 Feb, was advised that my refund has been deposited into my checking acct - I call that "fast" (about 1 week) - the latest shake-up at the irs must have done some good.....?

as an add : we have almost exactly the same deductions each year - but our return keeps getting smaller and smaller each year - ah yes, they find a way to stick it to ya each year, don't they (rhetorical)

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Last year, while working the same position for the same company, my status changed 3 times and as a result I have 3 different tax forms. And since I lived in CA most of last year, I get to file everything twice (state and fed). By comparison, I'm actually looking forward to next year's taxes.

Independent Contractor -> Temp -> Employee

Nothing but fun.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    as an add : we have almost exactly the same deductions each year - but our return keeps getting smaller and smaller each year - ah yes, they find a way to stick it to ya each year, don't they (rhetorical)

Not sure how that is unless your income went substantially up as the tax brackets are higher in 2014 than 2013, meaning you can have a somewhat higher taxable income in 2014 and still be in the same tax bracket: Compare 2014 v. 2013 IRS Tax Rates Before It's Too Late - Forbes

HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    No free loan for government

Exactly. I am not sure why people are so exited to get THEIR money back from the .gov who just held it, interest free, for a year.

I will try to simplify what a couple people have eluded to:

The goal with taxes is to get your withholdings (the amount taken out of each check) to equal the amount you actually owe. My goal each year to be within +-$100. That way, I am not having to write a big check or getting a bunch back (interest free loan for the Feds to spend on social programs).

So, to the OP, if you are only writing a $52 check, you win as that means that you got to keep your money and invest it in you instead of giving the .gov a $1000 interest free loan, that when they pay back you will most likely blow on something you don't really need (not saying you would, I am basing this assumption on visual observation of the majority of the people that I know that get tax returns).

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What's wrong with blowing money on things we don't need?

9805ba174b32b75f967e0395bb3bc3de.jpg

Top Bottom