Guns International

Taurus Raging Hunter, your thoughts and experience...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    So like most of the regulars around here I absolutely do not need another revolver. However, after getting less than stellar performance from my Smith R8, I find myself ogling the latest offering from Taurus, the raging hunter. I originally bought the R8 for the combination of weight and firepower. After all 8 shots of magnum power has it's appeal.

I recently talked to another gun buff that mentioned the dual locking cylinder and some good reviews. It holds 7 and I like the thought of a 6+ inch barrel to squeeze the extra fps out of the cartridge. Anyhow, curious if anyone in TGT land has owned or shot one? If so what do you think of it?
    Texas SOT

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I’ve never owned one, but I did consider a .357 Mag in SS from them at one point. They may have a stigma to some, but I have not heard of many problems with their current line of revolvers. No more than other manufacturers anyway. I’d buy one if the price were right. A semi-auto, not so much.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I have similar thoughts as @Grumps21 has.

But you didn't say what caliber you'd get. Surely it would be 460, because there are too many reasons to do so. I don't have a Taurus but I don't have a stigma about them to overcome. I highly recommend a 460.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have similar thoughts as @Grumps21 has.

But you didn't say what caliber you'd get. Surely it would be 460, because there are too many reasons to do so. I don't have a Taurus but I don't have a stigma about them to overcome. I highly recommend a 460.
    If I was shooting a 460, it sure as **** wouldn’t be out of a Taurus. That’s a big explosion and no way I’d try to contain it in piss poor craftsmanship.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    So like most of the regulars around here I absolutely do not need another revolver. However, after getting less than stellar performance from my Smith R8, I find myself ogling the latest offering from Taurus, the raging hunter. I originally bought the R8 for the combination of weight and firepower. After all 8 shots of magnum power has it's appeal.

I recently talked to another gun buff that mentioned the dual locking cylinder and some good reviews. It holds 7 and I like the thought of a 6+ inch barrel to squeeze the extra fps out of the cartridge. Anyhow, curious if anyone in TGT land has owned or shot one? If so what do you think of it?
    it's not a smith and wesson but still a decent revolver for the price imo the naysayers will try and tell you that taurus revolvers are junk personally i have owned and shot several over the years and currently carry and shoot a trackerr 44 and have been considering the raging hunter in 454 casull

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    I do not own (nor have I ever shot) the Raging Hunter but I do own the Raging Bull version. I too like the dual locks for the cylinder, it keeps it that much more stable for each shot.
    I have not had any screws back out on me but I admit I have not shot it extensively.
    Did Taurus discontinue the Hunter just like they did with the Bull? If so, you better get one soon before they disappear from stock. Then you will be hard pressed to find one.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    it's not a smith and wesson but still a decent revolver for the price imo the naysayers will try and tell you that taurus revolvers are junk personally i have owned and shot several over the years and currently carry and shoot a trackerr 44 and have been considering the raging hunter in 454 casull
    Just in case you're unaware: if you have a gun chambered for 460, it will also shoot 454 Casull, 45 Colt, and 45 Schofeild.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    SW 28
    IMG_4246.jpeg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics