• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perez357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Sherman
    Hello everyone. I've owned a Taurus Public Defender Poly for a couple of years now. I've shot about 200 rounds of 45LC and 100 rounds of various 410 shotshells. That's not really a lot of lead down range, but at this point, the gun is still very solid and doesn't show any wear. It definitely shoots better with the Pachmayr grips. I have been considering selling the gun to buy another 357 magnum revolver. Main reason is that I keep reading here and there that these Taurus guns aren't going to last anyways, so it'll probably blow up after a certain number of rounds, etc.. Might even send the barrel downrange and kill the neighbor's goat... Question: Anyone own one and having done a good amount of shooting, can they give me some advice as to whether it seems to be lasting a long time or if it really will fall apart after 1,000 rounds or something like that? Thank you.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    So if your neighbor's Taurus handgun blew up and killed your goat, you wouldn't be upset?

I’d be more upset if my neighbor was shagging my goat.

It’s less likely the whole damn thing will unexpectedly and excitedly come from together than the gun will have a mechanical malfunction that will require Taurus to honor their work. They’re usually good about that, put can be….slow.

I have a G2C I got as part of a trade and after about 5000 rounds, it’s a mostly reliable firearm that’s got the same issues fat chicks and mopeds have.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    If you don't trust it; sell it and get the one you want. Some of those did have a timing issue.

It has a polymer frame, so I get where you are coming from- more of a carry... and less of a range gun.

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 01-52-52 Judge Public Defender Poly.png

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    with 150 rounds a year though it I am sure it will outlast you.

I remember when glocks came out and that same BS was spewed about them plastic tupperware guns that are invisible to metal detectors will never last.

The internet has vast knowledge to bad 80% of it is regurgitated misinformation from people who don't know something read stuff from people who dont know anything but make up something that sounds good and then the reader starts to spew it out like the gospel.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Lay off the 45lc, it shoots them well, but if that is what you shoot most - get a gun chambered in 45lc only.. Use the PD for what it is made for. #9 shot for snakes, 000 buck for carjackers.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Lay off the 45lc, it shoots them well, but if that is what you shoot most - get a gun chambered in 45lc only.. Use the PD for what it is made for. #9 shot for snakes, 000 buck for carjackers.

.410 slug rounds run at lower pressures than .45Colt and punch in the .380/.38Spl range. Just make sure your sights are regulated for them...

perez357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Sherman
    I’d be more upset if my neighbor was shagging my goat.

It’s less likely the whole damn thing will unexpectedly and excitedly come from together than the gun will have a mechanical malfunction that will require Taurus to honor their work. They’re usually good about that, put can be….slow.

I have a G2C I got as part of a trade and after about 5000 rounds, it’s a mostly reliable firearm that’s got the same issues fat chicks and mopeds have.
    Actually, I was being sarcastic about the gun blowing up. On some forums, people definitely enjoy Taurus bashing and make it seem like they are just ticking time bombs. I have the G3X and I'm with you on the reliability. I've put about 1,000 rounds through it and it has never jammed and doesn't really show any wear.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Actually, I was being sarcastic about the gun blowing up. On some forums, people definitely enjoy Taurus bashing and make it seem like they are just ticking time bombs. I have the G3X and I'm with you on the reliability. I've put about 1,000 rounds through it and it has never jammed and doesn't really show any wear.
    Don’t get me wrong though, I don’t carry the Taurus at all. It’s not gone bang just enough times without any satisfactory explanation that I don’t trust my life on it.

perez357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Sherman
    Don’t get me wrong though, I don’t carry the Taurus at all. It’s not gone bang just enough times without any satisfactory explanation that I don’t trust my life on it.
    My wife has chosen and taken some of my guns for her personal use throughout the last few years: Ruger SP101, FN Reflex, and the Taurus G3X. I tried to steer her towards a Sig, Glock, Lone Wolf, Ruger, etc...She likes that Taurus and shoots it quite well.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    If you think the gun might blow up sometime in the future...why you be willing to sell/trade it, but instead simply de-commission it and just suck up the loss?

perez357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Sherman
    If you think the gun might blow up sometime in the future...why you be willing to sell/trade it, but instead simply de-commission it and just suck up the loss?
    Well, I don't know if it'll blow up or not. That's why I was asking the opinion of anyone who has owned one of these for a while and could attest to their durability. Some forums definitely make it seem like anything Taurus will blow up. I agree with you though, if I really thought it might blow up, I would definitely not sell it or trade it in. Unfortunately, you read on these forums all the time: It was jamming or not working right, so I trade it or sold it. Pass on the problem to someone else.

Top Bottom