• ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I'm putting this here because my comments on it come from a "prepper" direction, not a "good deal" or "Taurus quality" direction, things I know people have differing opinions on.

In short, Buds is selling the Taurus First 24 kit for about $100 more than the best price on the 617 .357mag revolver included in it. Additional to the kit are a drop proof/waterproof case, speedloaders, flashlight/batteries, knife, firestarter, paracord, compass. There's a slot for one box of ammo, not included.

93287.jpg

Personally, I think there's a lot of wasted space (likely to be the most valuable thing to me if I'm having to go somewhere fast with stuff to live on), but it's an interesting idea for the 'unaware' members of your family who aren't rabidly anti-gun - e.g. "if shit goes down, grab this kit, your wife and your kids and meet up with us in our spot."

This plus a .22LR rifle, in the hands of most "ordinary" people (which isn't us, mind you) would put them a light year ahead of the crowd.

Thoughts, either on the content of the kit or the value above the cost of just the handgun?

Again, I've got my own kit (expanded from my "Hurricane Kit," designed to allow me to respond with an EMS team and be self-sufficient for 72 hours) so I don't personally need this one (and I have everything in MY kit that's in this one, and more...). But for an "intro to being prepared," a good value?

Interested to hear people's thoughts.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yep, way too much wasted space... but maybe that's a good thing with all the stuff they left out. Adding a multitool, a couple life straws, basic first aid kit, and a couple Clark Bars would be a good start and filling it in. As cool as the hard case is for storage, I'm not a fan of it for portability. Stuff the whole thing into a plain jane looking messenger bag.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Yep, way too much wasted space... but maybe that's a good thing with all the stuff they left out. Adding a multitool, a couple life straws, basic first aid kit, and a couple Clark Bars would be a good start and filling it in. As cool as the hard case is for storage, I'm not a fan of it for portability. Stuff the whole thing into a plain jane looking messenger bag.

I've seen the lifestraw comment elsewhere. How important is that in the first 24 hours? It's not an "in the wilderness" kit - it's "oh, shit, gotta go," IMO.

Note: I have a lifestraw in my kit.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's hot... I'm thirsty ;)

I see what you mean, tho. You should be able to find drinkable water within 24hrs of an event. ...but they are small so why not? Adding a way to drink found water makes it into a "72hr" kit.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    It's hot... I'm thirsty ;)

I see what you mean, tho. You should be able to find drinkable water within 24hrs of an event. ...but they are small so why not? Adding a way to drink found water makes it into a "72hr" kit.

Agreed. Even tabs would help.

TheRedGoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    canton
    It's interesting, but once I need to open it .. then what? Mexican carry and stuff things in to my pockets? No sheath on the knife? No holster? No belt?

Step One: SHTF
    Step Two: Fill pockets with speed loaders, spare ammo, paracord, blanket, batteries...
    Step Three: Place flashlight in mouth.
    Step Four: Gun in right hand, knife in left.
    Step Five: Player One is ready?

Seems like something that will market well and probably sell based on the 'cool kids' factor, but not something I would purchase or even use.

TRG

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    It's interesting, but once I need to open it .. then what? Mexican carry and stuff things in to my pockets? No sheath on the knife? No holster? No belt?

Yep - I think it's assumed the user would have something, but if you're going to do all that (+ knife sheath + speedloader carriers) you're making a custom kit yourself.

It's definitely a "packaging" play - form over function. At the very least, the belt-clip grip would have been a marked improvement.

Top Bottom