• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Ran to Academy to look at shotguns. It's our 6th anniversary (candy, iron, wood gifts) so I thought a shotgun for him() would be perfect.

I've GOT to keep the cost under $500 and I don't even want to spend that. But you get nothing for free these days so I'll fork over a couple hundred

I looked at a gorgeous Yildiz O/U 12ga (and the 20 and the 410 - super lightweights!) and the craftsmanship on those things were great. The guy swore by their quality but I realize he's also a salesguy who's got a job to do. $399 on the shelf, black walnut stock, 5 chokes, selectable fire button, scrollwork and engraved forestock.

The other shotgun was a TriStar G2 and he really didn't know anything about it. I thought I'd research it to put a face to a name.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'd love to drop $1500 on a sweet Benelli or a suave Remington but we just can't fork the dough at this place in time. I thought an impromptu less expensive purchase would pack a fun punch.

Thanks yall.
    Gun Zone Deals

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    I looked at these o/u shotguns at Academy and both were good buys. I also looked at the Stoeger 12 ga o/u at Cabelas for $349. I, too, cannot spend a lot for a shotgun but really wanted an o/u. I bought the Stoeger and am very glad I did. It shoots very good and has a better kickpad than Yildiz. It also has a good looking wood stock too. Just my 2c

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    You know the funny thing is I was at Bass Pro before I went to Academy and I saw the O/S & SS shotguns on the side and the prices looked enticing but I waved off. The BP guy was helping a ton of people and I never liked those guys anyway. They act like their job at the gun counter would be great if it weren't for all those customers. Also, I hadn't even considered an O/U until I talked to the guy at Academy who did a great job spending time showing me my options for the criteria I gave him. I was originally only looking at semiautos but finding one for under $500 just isn't going to happen unless someone is selling and they don't know what they have.

I have heard the Stoeger name before. Yeah the Yildiz didn't have much of a recoil pad. How is the weight on yours?

Duman44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Houston
    I checked out the Yildiz and did not like the balance or the way"it hit me" which is what I call it when I shoulder the shotgun. If I have to move my head to align the sights, then it does not hit correctly. My brother has couple of expensive Brownings that don't hit me right, so it's not just a low cost shotgun thing. This feature is important if you are going to be using the gun for hunting, for Skeet you already have the gun mounted so not so much.
    I found a Remington "Spartan" at a pawn shop and liked the balance, feel and "hit me" on it, but the Pawn guy wanted $450. I found it on CDNN for $359 brand new. With shipping to Houston , tax (they are in Abilene)and $25 FFL fee it cost me about $420. One feature that it has that I really like, is that you can change the way it presents shells for removal from extractor to ejector, just by turning a screw 90 degrees. This gun only has 3 chokes, but since I primarily dove hunt, not skeet shoot, the skeet choke was not a big thing for me. I looked on CDNN investments site and they still have the $359 deal.

FYI, almost all of the low priced shotguns are now made in Turkey for importation to the states.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    I have a Yildiz MX Clays, and totally love it. I primarily shoot clays so I have replaced the chokes that came with it. (the pattern was not as consistent as I would have liked). I will say this just like any other gun the fit will make all the difference. I had a little work done to the stock on my yildiz and I shoot it better then anything out of the box.

I have about 3k shells through it at this point. The action has become real smooth (a little white lithium grease on the hinge does wonders). Let me know if you have any more questions I will be happy to answer them.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I do have a question for those with O/U. I noticed at the bottom of the hinge on the front edge that one of the guns had pinch marks where the two pieces come in contact with each other. Is that normal on these shotguns or is that a fitting/quality issue? Only one of the guns had it and handled three Yildiz and several others on the rack.

Duman44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Houston
    Sounds like a fitting issue. I just looked at my Spartan and there is about 1/16 to 1/32" clearance between the barrel edge and receiver when it is completely open. Even slamming it open will not make it come into contact with the receiver.

CaptHowdy

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    Houston
    Briley Manf (Houston) is the warranty center for Yildiz. That's a good thing IMO. My buddy has a 12 ga and he loves his.

Top Bottom