• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoon2063

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    waco
    Have been thinking about this for years, Geez! Just now pulling the trigger (pun intended) on taking the class.

I'm looking forward to it. Been reading up on state law on this forum over the past few months so, feel like I will have a little knowledge entering the class. I've been practicing handgun shooting regularly for the past several months. Owned long guns for many many years but never cared much for or owned handguns until earlier this year. Will be using my newly acquired Glock 43x for the class.
    ARJ Defense ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you have a legit instructor, the fail rate on the range should be at least 10-20%.
    Of the failures, what's the breakdown on cause? How many flunk due to poor accuracy vs. safety violations?

I find it difficult to grasp how anyone can fail but that's probably a failure of my imagination. :)

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Of the failures, what's the breakdown on cause? How many flunk due to poor accuracy vs. safety violations?

I find it difficult to grasp how anyone can fail but that's probably a failure of my imagination. :)
    Can’t hit target, can’t clear malfunctions, can’t load magazines, muzzle flashing student next to them. Take your pick.

I will not hold up an entire line because someone came in expecting the instructor to teach them how to operate their gun. If I have RSOs and can spare one, and they are willing to do it, I will ask them to cover the basics on the above ( with the exception of muzzle flashing, that is an automatic fail) and at the end of everyone else shooting I will give them a second opportunity to pass the shooting portion.

platoon2063

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    waco
    Can’t hit target, can’t clear malfunctions, can’t load magazines, muzzle flashing student next to them. Take your pick.

I will not hold up an entire line because someone came in expecting the instructor to teach them how to operate their gun. If I have RSOs and can spare one, and they are willing to do it, I will ask them to cover the basics on the above ( with the exception of muzzle flashing, that is an automatic fail) and at the end of everyone else shooting I will give them a second opportunity to pass the shooting portion.
    I completely understand what I bolded above. However, surely you have had totally inexperienced shooters taking the class? And if they are being responsible.......willing to take the class and learn then I personally understand their "green-ness". maybe they did not have anyone to teach them. That being said, there is that thing called Google and Youtube so, there should be no excuse to come in to the class with zero knowledge.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    I swear I though I missed half my shots backing up in dim light and speed shooting. passed with high marks per the instructor feedback. took a few weeks for the card to come. been renewed twice now. have to go back next time and retest I think. you'll do well.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I had an ex DPS officer as the instructor when I went through the program. He was very engaging with the students, which made the classroom work easy. He did make it clear before the class started that his intent is not to show us how to shoot or handle our weapons, and anyone who does not feel comfortable with that can leave and they will get a full refund. Two ladies who came together withdrew from the class. There were no more than 15 or 16 enrolled in the class, so I suppose that 10-20% number makes sense. As for the range, I don’t if anybody failed or not, but I did see a number of shots outside of the outline. That’s a pretty big target, so I’m guessing that those folks just never practiced much.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    You will do fine, it is rare for anyone to flunk.
    You'd have to sweep the instructor repeatedly to fail the TX LTC class or do some other dumb shit on that level.

Couple of girls failed the shooting portion for some reason and I got to sell them my two 50 round boxes of spare ammo I brought along just in case _I_ would fail that part. Class paid for itself that way.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yeah just listen, notes if you have to, it’s just some hours of your time and when you shoot just keep the first two distances in the 4 and you will already be fine.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    You'd have to sweep the instructor repeatedly to fail the TX LTC class or do some other dumb shit on that level.

Couple of girls failed the shooting portion for some reason and I got to sell them my two 50 round boxes of spare ammo I brought along just in case _I_ would fail that part. Class paid for itself that way.

You gouged them enough on the ammo it paid for your class?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Have been thinking about this for years, Geez! Just now pulling the trigger (pun intended) on taking the class.

I'm looking forward to it. Been reading up on state law on this forum over the past few months so, feel like I will have a little knowledge entering the class. I've been practicing handgun shooting regularly for the past several months. Owned long guns for many many years but never cared much for or owned handguns until earlier this year. Will be using my newly acquired Glock 43x for the class.

Thank you..........

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I completely understand what I bolded above. However, surely you have had totally inexperienced shooters taking the class? And if they are being responsible.......willing to take the class and learn then I personally understand their "green-ness". maybe they did not have anyone to teach them. That being said, there is that thing called Google and Youtube so, there should be no excuse to come in to the class with zero knowledge.
    It is against the law for me to assist in any way whatsoever a student on the line.

The class is to go over the law, and to have the student show that they have the most basic understanding of how their firearm works, and very basic marksmanship.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Not with me. I see the muzzle of your gun and you will go home.
    I see you flag another student, you go home.

One of my RSOs sees the same, you go home.

I am polite about it, I cover it extensively in the range safety talk before each line goes to shoot.

Top Bottom