Taken my first steps into a brave new world.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    It's on a traditional offset smoker, and yes - just a test. It works by monitoring the probes for temperature swings and activates a small blower that stokes the fire. When temp's are too high, the (mostly) sealed firebox chokes the heat - when temp's are low, it brings the fan on proportionally to how low the temp needs to be.
    Dammit boy y'all got fans...
    Gun Zone Deals

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I enjoy cooking and grilling over charcoal. I have a Weber kettle grill. When I regulate the temp by adjusting the vents or charcoal placement, I feel that I'm a part of the process.

The pellet grill is a set and forget system, it will hold a constant, steady temperature without the user doing anything. To me, it's like having an outdoor oven.I like being involved in the cook.

That said, there are many that disagree with my thinking. I guess as long as the finished product is good, it really doesn't matter how you get there.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I enjoy cooking and grilling over charcoal. I have a Weber kettle grill. When I regulate the temp by adjusting the vents or charcoal placement, I feel that I'm a part of the process.

The pellet grill is a set and forget system, it will hold a constant, steady temperature without the user doing anything. To me, it's like having an outdoor oven.I like being involved in the cook.

That said, there are many that disagree with my thinking. I guess as long as the finished product is good, it really doesn't matter how you get there.
    My wood fired smoker is very labor intensive. I have done some wonderful cooking and smoking on it for many years. But as I get older, I suspect my next smoker is probably is going to be a pellet smoker, just because i can set it, and forget it until the meat is ready to come off, while doing other things.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    My wood fired smoker is very labor intensive. I have done some wonderful cooking and smoking on it for many years. But as I get older, I suspect my next smoker is probably is going to be a pellet smoker, just because i can set it, and forget it until the meat is ready to come off, while doing other things.
    Infidels heathen peasant I could go on

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Throwing a brisket on the old wood fired smoker.

Going to be 12 pounds of goodness for tomorrow!

Simple rub I have been using for many years. Brown sugar, black pepper, salt, Cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and cumin.

6VeGIWV.jpg
    Gotta see that finished product!

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Man- I gotta say. I don’t have it in me to do a brisket this weekend. Since my company is closed on June 20th, I’ll smoke on Sunday. Chickens, pork tenderloin, and some crazily too expensive dinosaur ribs.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I’ve turned out some good food on my pellet smoker.

Lessons learned:

1) cheap pellet grills usually turn out lesser quality foods than the higher end ones that are built heavier and have much better controllers. Constant heat makes the cook and smoke much better.

2) USE GOOD PELLETS! I’ve used a lot of different brands and there is some junk out there; namely pot boss pellets and Traeger. My best experiences have been with Lumberjack, Bear Mountain and B&B pellets.

3) Buy good thermometers, preferably wireless. Keep the dang lid closed and use the thermometers to tell you when the cook is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom