• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • retrieverman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2019
    Texas
    I’ve focused all my deer hunting on my Oklahoma place since 2014, but since I tagged the buck up there in October, I decided to give east TX a try this year. I did a little scouting last Thursday and Friday, and I set my climbing stand on a scrape line. Saturday morning, I passed a really nice young 11 point and ended up shooting a doe that busted me (I don’t tolerate blowing does). I got skunked Saturday evening. Sunday morning, I threw up a ground blind on another scrape line and saw a young doe, a 3 pt, 4 pt, 6 pt, and a nice 8 pt. Sunday evening, I went back to my climber and saw a different 4 point. I didn’t get to hunt yesterday and almost didn’t go today because of the heat, but I decided to go due to this being a “best” day on the solunar table. The minor time for the morning was 6:19-7:19. Just after daylight, the 8 point I passed on Sunday walked under me at about 25 yards, and a little after 7, I heard something moving through the leaves behind me. I turned and saw it was a buck, but I thought it was the 8 point coming back. I got my binos on him and realized it was a different buck with a huge body, so by the time I decided to take him, he was moving off through the woods away from me. I got him in the scope, and fortunately, he stopped. I made a shot through a 10-12” gap between two tree at 60 yards. I couldn’t see him but heard him fall. He got back up and slowly walked about 20 yards twitching his tail, then he stopped again and fell for the last time within sight of my stand about 40 yards to my right.
    I knew he was a big bodied buck, but I didn’t realize he was the biggest buck I’ve ever killed in east TX. He bottomed out a 200 lb scale.
    He’s not the biggest racked buck I’ve killed in east TX, but he gross scored 130.5”.
    I haven’t hunted old school with no corn and no cameras in probably 30 years, and I have to admit it’s kind of refreshing.
    I used a Blaser BBF 97 12 ga over 308 combo gun topped with an illuminated Schmidt Bender 1.25-4 scope.
    0F311B0E-08DB-48A7-A37F-931577B2414C.jpeg
    Capitol Armory ad

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve focused all my deer hunting on my Oklahoma place since 2014, but since I tagged the buck up there in October, I decided to give east TX a try this year. I did a little scouting last Thursday and Friday, and I set my climbing stand on a scrape line. Saturday morning, I passed a really nice young 11 point and ended up shooting a doe that busted me (I don’t tolerate blowing does). I got skunked Saturday evening. Sunday morning, I threw up a ground blind on another scrape line and saw a young doe, a 3 pt, 4 pt, 6 pt, and a nice 8 pt. Sunday evening, I went back to my climber and saw a different 4 point. I didn’t get to hunt yesterday and almost didn’t go today because of the heat, but I decided to go due to this being a “best” day on the solunar table. The minor time for the morning was 6:19-7:19. Just after daylight, the 8 point I passed on Sunday walked under me at about 25 yards, and a little after 7, I heard something moving through the leaves behind me. I turned and saw it was a buck, but I thought it was the 8 point coming back. I got my binos on him and realized it was a different buck with a huge body, so by the time I decided to take him, he was moving off through the woods away from me. I got him in the scope, and fortunately, he stopped. I made a shot through a 10-12” gap between two tree at 60 yards. I couldn’t see him but heard him fall. He got back up and slowly walked about 20 yards twitching his tail, then he stopped again and fell for the last time within sight of my stand about 40 yards to my right.
    I knew he was a big bodied buck, but I didn’t realize he was the biggest buck I’ve ever killed in east TX. He bottomed out a 200 lb scale.
    He’s not the biggest racked buck I’ve killed in east TX, but he gross scored 130.5”.
    I haven’t hunted old school with no corn and no cameras in probably 30 years, and I have to admit it’s kind of refreshing.
    I used a Blaser BBF 97 12 ga over 308 combo gun topped with an illuminated Schmidt Bender 1.25-4 scope.
    View attachment 355164
    >
    Nice deer, nicer gun ! I had a Sauer “Ejector” growing-up, beautiful shotgun, but It kicked like a Missouri mule !

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I got one this morning at about 8:30. He was trotting along from my left to right chasing around does. Saw he had a decent spread and it's getting late in the season, so naturally when I got a clean shot I took it. A blind man could have followed his blood trail but from my tripod view I saw him run about 100 yards before he found his resting place. Usually I get several more hunts in but this year I'm on a tight schedule.

Smallest one I've shot in a decade although at 145lbs he will still make plenty of grind, sausage and jerky as well as a few steaks. Right at 100 yards taken with a 280 Remington using Hornady 139gr btsp loaded to max with RE-19. Here are some pictures, where the trail started and then where it ended.

Attachments

• IMG_20221217_084814729_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20221217_084814729_HDR.jpg
      954 KB · Views: 53
    • IMG_20221217_090550276_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20221217_090550276_HDR.jpg
      914.3 KB · Views: 56
    • IMG_20221217_090625375_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20221217_090625375_HDR.jpg
      832.6 KB · Views: 51
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant