• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mgb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    dallas
    Can anyone recommend a tactical handgun training center in the DFW area?

I have found lots of places that offer decent beginner handgun training, but now I'm ready for something a little more advanced. Don't care if it's outside since I'm not going THIS week!

I will eventually like to get some tactical shotgun and AR-15 training too, so please add that info
    DK Firearms

kaiserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Mansfield, Texas
    Can anyone recommend a tactical handgun training center in the DFW area?

I have found lots of places that offer decent beginner handgun training, but now I'm ready for something a little more advanced. Don't care if it's outside since I'm not going THIS week!

I will eventually like to get some tactical shotgun and AR-15 training too, so please add that info

Texas Defensive Firearms Training

They can set up a custom class for you and offer both group and individual lessons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Check out Critical Defense Group. Classes are both in Cleburne and Greenville to accomodate everyone in the metroplex. I just completed the CHL training and can attest to the professionalism of the instructor. I have had friends spend 8 hours in a training room and 30 min on the firing line to pass the CHL. Our class spent 6 hours in the classroom and 3.5 hours on the firing line learning how to operate a firearm with prescision and safety. Critical Defense Group offers advance handgun, carbine and shotgun classes as well. Check him out and I guarentee you will not be disappointed.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Shoot Smart became a disappointment. Great when they first opened, even got friendly with the owner. Became too crowded,overpriced, and the staff is snobby and not friendly. Maybe when they expand they'll relax a little bit.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Shoot Smart became a disappointment. Great when they first opened, even got friendly with the owner. Became too crowded,overpriced, and the staff is snobby and not friendly. Maybe when they expand they'll relax a little bit.

Yeah, they are extremely popular; therefore, crowded. I think the prices are reasonable, and I do not see how you consider them "snobby"? Can you describe that in more detail? I teach there, and I know the owner would want to address that specific concern.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Check out Tac Pro in Mingus, TX. Bill is former British SBS, sort of a maritime SAS as far as I understand it, basically like our SEALs.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Yeah, they are extremely popular; therefore, crowded. I think the prices are reasonable, and I do not see how you consider them "snobby"? Can you describe that in more detail? I teach there, and I know the owner would want to address that specific concern.

I used to frequent it when it first opened. Was even in the first league. I won't name specific names, but a few of the ladies working at night were almost dismissive and had an attitude (like they were annoyed that we were customers) and every time I was there the experience wasn't great like when they first opened. I know Mrs. "R. Owner" (I don't like naming people publicly) and she always was friendly and helpful, but the staff didn't make us feel welcome. I thought it was just me being there on super busy days and brushed it off the first few times, but it wasn't just once or twice. And I know three other regulars that stopped going because the experience wasn't what we were used to. The range fees went up a bit and I just couldn't see spending $30+ for two people sharing a lane (I know for the area it's in that is reasonable and good business sense, but there are other options for me). I have a buddy that went there once because I told him about their private lane allowing .223. He said they said he had to have his rifle in a case, which he hadn't purchased one yet, otherwise he would have to leave (the private lane was full). He said they did offer him a "loaner" case but it wouldn't fit due to his optics. He had to take off the sight and put it in the case. He hasn't been back since. I understand they're trying to be safe but that didn't make sense to me, it's a gun range! There are some bad reviews online (I was very happy with R. so I felt bad they were getting those reviews at first) so I know that others I don't know have had the same negative experiences.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Rifles have to be cased because of safety. Smart rule and I agree with it.

There are 4 women working there, so that complaint is a little difficult for me to address. I will tell you to that I hang out near the counter on breaks, and all of the staff appears friendly and customer service oriented. I do know that it was a little overwhelming for them when they first got really busy, but they have made several changes that has taken some stress off of the employees.

Currently the private lane is closed until the expansion is complete. But I bet if you give them a try again you will not be dissappointed.

BTW, a second shooter on a lane is half price.

Also have your three friends hit me up here and I will address their concerns.

As far as online complaints, none I have seen were very specific. Like the guy who did a transfer there and complained about the female employee, except he never addressed a concern. He only denigrated the female employee in a deplorable, sexist, vile diatribe. Kinda difficult to put much stock into those. ;)

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    i dont get the case thing. you have to put it in a case after each time you shoot? or you bring it to the line in a case? ive always cased mine, makes it easy to carry multiples, but this range in town says no cases wtf.

dallasak74

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2012
    Plano Texas
    Hi,
    I train with a group of friends (xmilitary, LEO and Etc) two to three times a month in Allen, Plano areas on CQC, medical, team movement, and so on. Normally it's free and fun. The training is different due to the different types of instructor input. Most tactical training is based off of US military, Russian systems, and martial arts bio body movement. We work shotgun, pistol and rifle. Most work is non live fire drills and a lot of them.. then we take it to private land and drill and drill some more.. safety of course is a major issue and it's always 100% on the minds of everyone.. we started doing this in early 90's.. no injuries or problems.. I have personally done 396 classes as an instructor.. and the other guys are really great and easy going. Good luck.
    thanks

Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    Top Bottom