• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I recently acquired an 8lb jug of AA#5. I was running low on titegroup and wanted to try something new. In the past I dialed up some promising loads for the 45 acp and some less than impressive ones for the 38. I'm currently pushing a 135gr fp fmj with 3.7gr titegroup. Overall there's nothing wrong with it but I've always had intermittent dispensing issues using a Lee powder thrower.

I know I'll still lose a little powder due to the fine grains but I really want to ramp up output and the rechecking charges is killing my production. There's not a ton of data out there for the 135gr pills so I guess I'm hoping someone has played around with this particular combo.
    Military Camp

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    That's a serious investment... hope it works out for you!!

Ummm, I use Clays (it's just OK), Titegroup (it's great), 700x (does not meter well), and Red Dot (similar metering issues).

You went from 15 on the burn rate chart to 39, a slower powder... interesting.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I use AA-5 for both 9mm & .45 ACP.It meters very precise. I have loaded everything from 115gr to 147 gr in 9mm . It is my go to powder.

What's your go to for 124gr bullets. I've heard most people get the best results running this powder near the top end. I was thinking 6.0gr for 124gr and maybe 5.8 for the 135. Naturally I'll work up a load at .2 gr or so under and work my way up.

Chips n Salsa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Plano
    For our AR-9, I load the MBC 125 gr lead cone with anywhere from 5.9 - 6.1 gr HS-6. Looks like AA-5 and HS-6 are almost same burn rate. I settled on 6.1 as sort of an upper end load.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    good info guys!

i hesitate to start a new thread... i’m looking to reload some 124grn plated (not fmj) RNL in 9mm.

should go 20% under fmj recipe?

I have a good supply of titegroup as well as bullseye

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have churned out several thousand bullets using titegroup at 4.1-4.2 gr. Cycles everything reliably. Produces about 1050 or so fps in full size guns. I keep my cols right at 1.130 or so. It really still is my go to but it just doesn't meter as consistently as I'd like. As far as bullseye, I'm no help.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've also gone with standard, magnum and even small rifle primers with titegroup and it performed well regardless. Actually had the lowest sd with small rifle primers with no pressure signs.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    good info guys!

i hesitate to start a new thread... i’m looking to reload some 124grn plated (not fmj) RNL in 9mm.

should go 20% under fmj recipe?

I have a good supply of titegroup as well as bullseye

I'd think 20% would be way too low. Usually it's just a few tenths under JHP data, if at all. The only thing you really need to heed is not loading above the fps limit stated by the maker of the boolitts.

As a source, I'd recommend you do a Google search for Lasercast Reloading Manual. Plated bullets load very close to their alloy bullets. I've tried to post a link before, but Oregon Trail Bullets sold out to a guy in Montana and the site doesn't work the way it used to... if you can bring it up, there is a choice to load up the manual in pdf without actually going to the new website.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I also wouldn't hesitate to push a plated bullet up to 1250 fps. Although I would only try that in the 38 super or 357 mag. People always say to load them like lead but I don't. Heck most load data shows reduced loads for bullets like Hornady xtp. I think modern plated bullets are both very uniform and we'll constructed. I prefer them to lead or fmj by far. I tend to spend more time punching steel than paper though.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    People always say to load them like lead but I don't.

Me neither. AFAIK, they load above the levels for lead, but usually less than or equal to FMJ, and less than JHP. The Lasercast bullets were an alloy bullet, and plated loads very close to the data supplied for their manual.

But I only shoot plated in semis... I have yet to exhaust my supply of lead for .38Spec.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun

I've been notified by one member that OTBC recommends that their manual no longer be used. It seems to me that the new owners have followed the trend of wishing to avoid liability.

That said, please be aware that the data is old, and some powders have changed formulation. Please be aware of these changes and be careful!!!

For instance, it was mentioned that HP38 is the same as 231... well, AFAIK it used to be... (No, that's backwards, they used to be diff, now they are the same. Point is, be careful when using older data, from any publisher, with new cans of powder.) Better cross check any powder before you use older data with a new can of powder.

Last edited:

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    In the past I dialed up some promising loads for the 45 acp and some less than impressive ones for the 38.

I know I'll still lose a little powder due to the fine grains but I really want to ramp up output and the rechecking charges is killing my production.

I played with #5 for personal loadings and always found it lacking, especially in 38Special where it is position sensitive. You can load some solid full power loadings with #7 but #5 doesnt produce the velocity or feel that #7 does and if I wanted low charge weights I would run Titegroup (position insensitive).

Run it near full power for best results work between the 124 and 147 data to start (coming up from 147)

cswpsi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    South of Houston
    I know I'm late to the party, but I just looked to the Accurate website. They have one entry for 9mm AA#5

135gr RMR FP (FMJ) 4.7 to 5.6

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom