• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Please reply by conversation.

Swedonia

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    OK. If you've ever wanted to give black powder cartridge rifle shooting a try, here's a great package. The heart of it is this Swedish rolling block in 12.7mm X 44 mm manufactured by Carl Gustaf at their factory at Eskilstuna in 1873 -- yeah, 150 years ago this year-- and converted to centerfire. She's not the prettiest girl at the dance, but the stock is sound, the metal is sound, the bore is excellent, the action is tight and she still wears some case coloring on both flats of the receiver. The only parts not matching are the middle barrel band, a few numbers off, and no serial on the ramrod that I can see.
    She's a shooter boys, liking the Lee 515-450 over 60 grains FFg in the trimmed Starline .50 Alaskan brass -- the only load I tried.
    Included are 21 pieces of Starline .50 Alaskan brass trimmed to 1.72 (44 mm) and 8 pieces trimmed to 1.65 (42mm), the two case lengths often encountered. Also included is a set of excellent RCBS .50-70 dies for sizing and seating and a special-order 12mm Remington mold featuring the unusual heeled bullet design that is said to be particularly accurate in the Swedes.
    Asking $900 for it all, plus $50 shipping. I will ship the rifle in one box and the dies, brass and mold in a small priority box.
    Not looking for trades, thanks. Ask if questions. Lots more info on these at the Gunboards.com Scandinavian firearms forums.

Swedonia

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    USCMC: These are out there, of course. I bought one from Simpson Ltd up in Illinois that they rated good with very good bore, and the bore on the rifle I received was actually horribly pitted -- and the two big pins that hold the hammer and block simply fell out when I handled it. They gave me my money back. I got this one from certified "good guy" Ken Womack at rollingblockparts.com. Paid a little extra for the exceptional bore condition. The neat thing about the 12.7X44 is that it is similar enough to our .50-70 that you can use the dies, although that case is a little fatter at the base and rim; that's why most guys make their brass by simply shortening .50 Alaskan -- or necking up and trimming .348 Winchester. But these days, chasing down dies, brass and molds can be a challenge.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I have a trapdoor in 50-70 and a rolling block in .43 spanish so I'm familiar with the rifle and the rounds! Love shooting my 50-70!

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

Swedonia

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    This one is much easier to feed than a .43 Spanish! I have another RB in the very similar .44-77 that I haven't quite finished putting together. My first RB years ago was an Argentine rolling block in .43 Spanish. I would have shot it better if I had understood anything whatsoever about paper patching! :laughing:

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom