Hurley's Gold

SWD M15 "Lightning Link" - Anybody have direct experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    So I had the chance earlier this year to buy a registered SWD M15 lightning link and in the everlasting wait while the ATF hires a trains a new inspector to eventually affix a stamp to my document so I may take possession of said tab of sheet metal. Anyhow, I was able to find an SP1 BCG and have that installed in one of the new Colt retro M16-A2s which will be the host. I purchased the link reinforcer already but since I've never fired one, was curious is anybody had direct experience and any cautions so I don't jack this little precious bit of metal up by doing something stupid. Not many YouTube videos about these things but have looked there... Any advice?
    Gun Zone Deals

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Is the lower receiver of the retro Colt actually machined the same as the original SP1'S. I haven't seen one in person to know. If not, it won't fit in the lower receiver.....I could be wrong..

Knew a guy with a legal link and we put in in my 1974 SP1 and it ran fine....

Baboon the LL is much less expensive than a transferable rifle.....

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Those were popular 'back in the day' when most cops would look the other way if you were a Patriot - you could pop one in, have an afternoon of fun shooting 'surplus' 5.56 (that likely fell off a truck), and when it bent out of shape you tossed it.
    Nobody expected transferables to cost thousands!
    The recent AutoKeyCard fiasco shows such things aren't really controllable.

Eli

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    Good luck with the lighting link. I have to ask why the lighting link?
    I traded powder and primers in bulk for a bit more than half of the cost then paid the rest. I liked the idea of the link being what ATF considers the "machine gun" so that whatever AR pattern rifle one drops it in just becomes the "host" and doesn't permanently become a machine gun (the law makes no sense but there ya go). The other part was the links are between $17k and 19k vs 25+ for a transferrable M4/16, DIAS. The only real downside is that in the link's normal form, it is either on safe or full auto. There are some mods that will allow burst but hey, for my first full auto toy - I'm pretty pumped and if it's not great, pretty sure it will retain it's resale value to trade up later to something even cooler. Fingers crossed.

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    Those were popular 'back in the day' when most cops would look the other way if you were a Patriot - you could pop one in, have an afternoon of fun shooting 'surplus' 5.56 (that likely fell off a truck), and when it bent out of shape you tossed it.
    Nobody expected transferables to cost thousands!
    The recent AutoKeyCard fiasco shows such things aren't really controllable.

Eli
    totally true for sure - I actually learned about it really from the AutoKeyCard fiasco. But I did pay to go the legal way and make it an asset of my little training company so I can stick it back to the tax man just a little as a equipment writeoff. Will let my students get behind a "machine gun" and add it to their experience toolkit.

Reactions: gll

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    Is the lower receiver of the retro Colt actually machined the same as the original SP1'S. I haven't seen one in person to know. If not, it won't fit in the lower receiver.....I could be wrong..

Not sure if it is - I did look for an old SP1 but just found the bolt. Good news is my NFA dealer is also actively manufacturing so if we need to make milling adjustments, he will know what's okay and will work. I had test fired the Retro with my SP1 and it runs fine in semi. Will update when I get my stamp and get to function test it for real.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

The old saying of getting what you pay for was my first thought. Funny how it the opposite on H&K sears over a RR gun! And yeah I get my sear can be placed anything from a MP- a belt fed, but the same can be said of lighting links!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    They can be a little finicky but once tuned they work fine.

It must be an SP1 milled lower though, including shelf depth.

There is also a FCG to allow SSA.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    The old saying of getting what you pay for was my first thought. Funny how it the opposite on H&K sears over a RR gun! And yeah I get my sear can be placed anything from a MP- a belt fed, but the same can be said of lighting links!
    AR-15 RDIAS is more than almost any converted lower, the LL is 'cheap' comparatively.
    I still can't believe how expensive NFA stuff is, I was shooting it pre-86!

Eli

Top Bottom