• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rpwilson

Single Action Army Activist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Richmond
    Does anyone know of any ranges that allow steel case (AK) to be shot and do not charge by the gun on the Southwest side (Sugar Land/Rosenberg) or West side (Katy) of Houston?
    Target Sports

rpwilson

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Richmond
    I think they do as well, my issue is the range charging by the gun. I typically bring 3-4 firearms when I go (hunting rifles for shot verification before hunting season, plinking rifle) and just got the new ARAK. Its hard to justify the $20 for one gun and $5 per gun extra when I am there for an hour or hour and a half.

I grew up in Williamson County and never heard of charging by the gun until I was in the greater Houston area

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I think they do as well, my issue is the range charging by the gun. I typically bring 3-4 firearms when I go (hunting rifles for shot verification before hunting season, plinking rifle) and just got the new ARAK. Its hard to justify the $20 for one gun and $5 per gun extra when I am there for an hour or hour and a half.

I grew up in Williamson County and never heard of charging by the gun until I was in the greater Houston area
    They've been charging by the gun for decades, and because they all do it means we're screwed.

Eli

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Find a private range.

I'm a member of Bayou Rifles, PSC and Bay Area shooting club. They all have their own rules but overall I enjoy them more than any public range, even Bayou Rifles which is ran by a BOD full of Fudds.

When I want to run and gun I go to PSC. For long range I shoot at Bayou. When I don't want to be bothered and just need to sight in my guns and have the range to myself I go to Bay Area. None of them are remotely close to my house but it's still worth the investment to me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    QFT.

To be fair, considering who they rent land from, they pretty much have to be like that.
    Yeah they have to follow Corp Of Engineer rules for the Addicks range, but they own the Juliff range free and clear. The high power and FT-R shooters pretty much rule the roost at Juliff.

They think everything is a safety issue that cannot be mitigated. Draw from a holster? Nope too dangerous. Shoot at steel? Nope too dangerous even at 600 or 1k yards. Start a uspsa or idpa club? Nope, too dangerous and there are already enough of those clubs in the area.

They will find an excuse for anything except for the pet projects they want to do, like the 300k they spent on the baffles for the 100 yard range. The baffles aren't a bad idea, but everytime someone shoots them they thinks its an act of vandalism instead of the baffles simply doing what they were designed to do. Enough of my ranting about Bayou.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rpwilson

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Richmond
    Thanks for the heads up on the private ranges. I used to go to the Lone Star Gun Club in Lockhart when I was in the Austin area, $15 bucks for the whole day, no gun charge and some 100 yd ranges down to 15 yds.

Maybe someone will see an opportunity to fill a hole in the Houston market to provide a decent range that doesnt break the bank to go shoot, especially with ammo prices as high as they are...

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    ASC may charge by the gun, but you have as much time as you want, at any distance you like. From 50yds to 200yds, and farther if you can demonstrate marksmanship.

it is a well run facility with a good choice of distances.

Whine if you want to, but worth it

Top Bottom