• ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A 7.62/308-rated can will cover all of your rifles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is so true.

A suppressor dedicated to it's caliber will get maximum sound suppression.

But, in practicality any suppressor that makes a firearm hearing safe is doing its job.

I have at least a dozen suppressors.

In practicality I take, when heading to shoot, my Crux Saxon 9mm. Often nothing else.

Through it I've shot 17HMR, 22lr, 22mag, .204 Ruger, 5.56mm, .32 ACP, 6.5 Creedmoor, 270win, 7mm mag, .308, 7.62x39, 9mm pistol, 338 win and .338 Lapua.

All are pleasant and hearing safe except maybe the .338 Lapua. It's still damn loud through that little can.

If, after a couple beers, I'm about to shot my .45-70 through the 9mm Crux hole somebody please save me from myself!!!!

HKS
    Target Sports

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Even the IRS can't just "take" them.
    I won't quibble over the definition of "just take" other than to note that up until about 20 years ago a Revenue Officer could just take anything, even what you're wearing. I've seen it done. Since then, policy has changed and in practice many seizures that were routine 30 or 50 years ago simply don't happen any more. There's just too much red tape; the risk/reward ratio is too skewed to bother. But the statutory authority still exists; a federal tax lien attaches to everything you own. Period. There are no exceptions other than your naked, physical body.

I will, however, affirm that the procedures on the civil side are so labyrinthine that I doubt any Revenue Officer has seized a suppressor since 1968. Those procedures are public records and can be looked up. They look pretty simple. In practice, they are anything but.

On the criminal side, things get even weirder. While I can conceive of situations that might warrant it, I've never known a Special Agent to take in an NFA item as evidence.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    This is so true.

A suppressor dedicated to it's caliber will get maximum sound suppression.

But, in practicality any suppressor that makes a firearm hearing safe is doing its job.

I have at least a dozen suppressors.

In practicality I take, when heading to shoot, my Crux Saxon 9mm. Often nothing else.

Through it I've shot 17HMR, 22lr, 22mag, .204 Ruger, 5.56mm, .32 ACP, 6.5 Creedmoor, 270win, 7mm mag, .308, 7.62x39, 9mm pistol, 338 win and .338 Lapua.

All are pleasant and hearing safe except maybe the .338 Lapua. It's still damn loud through that little can.

If, after a couple beers, I'm about to shot my .45-70 through the 9mm Crux hole somebody please save me from myself!!!!

HKS

That can doesn’t come apart for cleaning, does it?

I ask because I was under the impression that you need to clean the baffles if you shoot dirty rimfire/.22LR thru a can...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes and no.

Officially it's not supposed to come part but it is not welded or sealed.
    The Crux Saxon 9 contains a machined titanium monolithic baffle.

A while back I was removing it whist very HOT and the end cap unscrewed.
    The baffle stack came right out thereafter.
    Viola!
    Cleanability.

To address your point.
    Yes, 22lr residue is filthy and the internal residue buildup is a ceramic-like hard stuff.
    I know that from how hard it is to get the innards of my Sparrow and M.I.S.T. clean.

Though....
    I've wondered if the 22lr residue stuff gets blown out by a .308 or .338 muzzle blast.

I think one would have to shoot a huge number of 22lr rounds through a sealed can before a sealed can's performance would be significantly degraded.
    After a thousand rounds of non-cleaning my disassembleable 22 cans seem quiet as ever to my ears.
    Don't do as I do.
    I am most certainly not a rule follower.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Most 22 ammo is bare lead, that's what builds up in the can. You would have the same issue shooting lead 9mm.

The only way to remove lead build-up is scrubbing or the "dip" which is toxic afterwards.

Top Bottom