• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrOrangeVest

Troublemaker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Texas
    I'm interested in entering the bizarre world of NFA purchases. Not really. I just want it to be a little quieter when I shoot. Seems like it could be a little fun.

I understand there is some difference in mounting a suppressor on the end of a rifle versus a pistol that has a moving barrel. What does it take to be able to have a single can go between both types of firearms?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I'm interested in entering the bizarre world of NFA purchases. Not really. I just want it to be a little quieter when I shoot. Seems like it could be a little fun.

I understand there is some difference in mounting a suppressor on the end of a rifle versus a pistol that has a moving barrel. What does it take to be able to have a single can go between both types of firearms?

Cans that allow you to use on moving barrels like a Glock and non-moving like a Scorpion have a fixed spacer that replaces the reciprocating piston. Generally you can only move to a rifle if it fires a pistol caliber.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm interested in entering the bizarre world of NFA purchases. Not really. I just want it to be a little quieter when I shoot. Seems like it could be A LOT fun.

I understand there is some difference in mounting a suppressor on the end of a rifle versus a pistol that has a moving barrel. What does it take to be able to have a single can go between both types of firearms?[/QUOTE]
    Money!

MrOrangeVest

Troublemaker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Texas
    Yeah, PCC is what I had in mind when I said rifle.
    ...have a fixed spacer that replaces the reciprocating piston. ...
    Does that piston attach to the barrel or is it between the threads and the rest of the can? Would it remain attached, one piston for the pistol and a spacer for the other or would the can have to be disassembled to swap out the piston for the spacer?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah, PCC is what I had in mind when I said rifle.

Does that piston attach to the barrel or is it between the threads and the rest of the can? Would it remain attached, one piston for the pistol and a spacer for the other or would the can have to be disassembled to swap out the piston for the spacer?
    The piston is inside the silencer.

Typically you remove the mount, replace the piston with the fixed spacer, and go. Takes 30 seconds. If you have a 3-lug on your pcc, you usually just have two mounts (piston & 3-lug), which is what I have.

MrOrangeVest

Troublemaker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Texas
    So, a little more backstory.

I bought an AAC Illusion 9 planning to use it only for 9 mm pistol and 22 lr, but have discovered the fun had in a pistol caliber carbine since then. I have not been able to take possession of the suppressor as of yet, and when last I checked it seemed it would be a good while longer.

My original intent was to try for myself and see if I wanted to get into spending the money and effort on getting into suppressors by starting with the nine which could also shoot .22 lr. I figured if I liked it I would get into more variety of suppressors.

MrOrangeVest

Troublemaker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Texas
    One other thing I have learned, do not buy from the new kid in town. Go spend money with a company that is not going to go bankrupt. That really extends your NFA wait time.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

I bought an AAC Illusion 9 planning to use it only for 9 mm pistol and 22 lr, but have discovered the fun had in a pistol caliber carbine since then. I have not been able to take possession of the suppressor as of yet, and when last I checked it seemed it would be a good while longer.

My original intent was to try for myself and see if I wanted to get into spending the money and effort on getting into suppressors by starting with the nine which could also shoot .22 lr. I figured if I liked it I would get into more variety of suppressors.

Ive got some cans that you can try-out if you want to meet at the range sometime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy

If you are going to shoot 22 lr through a can that you can't take apart and clean then just use plated bullets. Otherwise the lead will build up inside.

MrOrangeVest

Troublemaker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Texas
    If you are going to shoot 22 lr through a can that you can't take apart and clean then just use plated bullets. Otherwise the lead will build up inside.

From what I've seen, the Illusion 9 is able to be disassembled. Besides, the easiest way to get to the range here is an indoor range since I don't live on land big enough to accommodate shooting off my back porch. Pretty much have to shoot the plated stuff in everything.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/mounting-pistolcaliber-suppressors/

Nielsen device may be what you are asking about.
    The spring device very briefly uncouples the mass of the suppressor from that mass of the locked barrel/slide unit.

Without this assist the suppressor on a semi-auto with a moving and/or tilting barrel will often not cycle reliably due to the added mass of the can.

Some semi-auto pistols and I think all semi-auto pistol caliber carbine have a fixed non-reciprocating barrel and the Nielsen boost spring is un-needed and can be replaced with a spacer, though I'm unsure why it matters.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Some semi-auto pistols and I think all semi-auto pistol caliber carbine have a fixed non-reciprocating barrel and the Nielsen boost spring is un-needed and can be replaced with a spacer, though I'm unsure why it matters.

In a non-moving BBL, as the gasses move forward, they hit the baffles and "push" them forward, causing the piston to compress. Then when the pressure is down, it snaps back hard against the non-moving BBL and shit starts to break.

MrOrangeVest

Troublemaker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Texas
    The explanations are much appreciated. Thanks!
    I only shoot .22, 9mm, and 308. I figured 2/3 off my calibers covered the majority of my plinking so I'd start there and branch out if I liked it.

Unfortunately it hasn't come yet.

Actually, this past weekend marks the 3rd year anniversary since I started this process at the now defunct Gun Corps in College Station. Trust me when I tell you the process is a whole lot less streamlined after a gun shop goes bankrupt and the bank repossesses their inventory.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom