• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Well that's good to hear. For the models I was looking at, it seemed there was either a ridiculous amount of scraping involved or soaking in a chemical that turned into lead acetate, which is quite toxic.

What is your usual cleaning routine?
    I use Chem - Dip automotive carburetor cleaner that comes in a gallon can to clean all of my suppressor's whether they can be taken apart or not. Soak them for 24hrs, and most of the carbon / lead build up will just wipe off. The rest gets cleaned off with a brass brush.
    My sealed suppressor's get blown out with my air compressor after soaking.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Rimfire cans need to be cleaned.

Rifle cans generally don’t need to be cleaned, but check with the manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Sorry to spoil your dream but the Sparrow isn't easy to clean either. Even though you can open it and separate the parts it still gets lead glued to everything inside of it. Scraping was the only way. I may try that soaking in Chem-dip carb cleaner next time. I bought it for ease of cleaning but it isn't!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Are the new Sparrows different from the first ones?

I bought mine in about 2012, and didn't think they were able to come apart.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Mine was bought in 2015 and opens up. A tube with clam shells inside that hold a monolithic baffle inside of it. It was supposed to make it easy to open and clean with the clam shells, but when dirty it is still almost impossible to slide the clam shells/baffle out.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Mine was bought in 2015 and opens up. A tube with clam shells inside that hold a monolithic baffle inside of it. It was supposed to make it easy to open and clean with the clam shells, but when dirty it is still almost impossible to slide the clam shells/baffle out.
    Good to know.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    The spectre is pretty easy to open and has a stack of baffles.

The Gemtech GM-22 is a monocore as well. It didn’t seem too hard to take apart…but then it was new and barely used.

I know some people use a soda blaster to clean their baffles and monocores.

Tamlibtoim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2016
    Texas (Bay Area)
    So with all the talk about cleaning, that got me started searching for info on sonic cleaners. Hornady has one that is made by isonic, their non-Hornady branded model that is identical sells for about 100 bucks on Amazon. Seems like a pretty decent price and can be used for virtually anything you want deep cleaned. Anybody use one?

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    For the money buy a M-16 & get a dedicated upper! A few of the member got to play with mine a few weeks back! I have considered a 5.7 upper for it as well seeing as I have the can.

Pricing on a M-16 lower these days is north of $17k the last time I looked. If that auto sear works with my CMMG bolt then I have an upper already….and a black dog machine .22LR drum.

The cans I have…just haven’t made the leap to full auto yet. At least with the 180 it is not as expensive as the M-16 lower and has a designated diet of .22lr. The M-16 lower could see a lot of stuff though…thus the feeding part can be pricey too.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    So with all the talk about cleaning, that got me started searching for info on sonic cleaners. Hornady has one that is made by isonic, their non-Hornady branded model that is identical sells for about 100 bucks on Amazon. Seems like a pretty decent price and can be used for virtually anything you want deep cleaned. Anybody use one?
    I used to, it's still a pain to clean that way. The dip is the way to go. Or you could shoot copper plated bullets only to keep the lead out.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Pricing on a M-16 lower these days is north of $17k the last time I looked. If that auto sear works with my CMMG bolt then I have an upper already….and a black dog machine .22LR drum.

The cans I have…just haven’t made the leap to full auto yet. At least with the 180 it is not as expensive as the M-16 lower and has a designated diet of .22lr. The M-16 lower could see a lot of stuff though…thus the feeding part can be pricey too.
    These are needed to make the .22 bolt run. Mine ran a brick of .22 & just some lube after the brick. Black Dog Machine drums run pretty flawlessly I would say.

As faras M16 pricing gores your a bit off
    https://texasguntalk.com/threads/suppressor’s-anyone.108761/page-4#post-2458557

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    These are needed to make the .22 bolt run. Mine ran a brick of .22 & just some lube after the brick. Black Dog Machine drums run pretty flawlessly I would say.

As faras M16 pricing gores your a bit off
    https://texasguntalk.com/threads/suppressor’s-anyone.108761/page-4#post-2458557

Like I said I hadn’t priced things lately…been a few years. Definitely a price jump.

Lazyfaire

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    New Braunfels
    Suppressors are fun for sure, but the wait time factor is a real drag. I always paid the ATF by check so I could see immediately when they cashed it. I then counted out six months from that date and noted it in my phone with an alert. Then just forgot about it. Does no good to try and 'hurry' them up. After 6 months i then paid more attention. Suggestion: Put the phone number of the FFL holding your can into your phone so that you can see when they call you. THEN you can get excited about it.

Top Bottom