• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks, and sorry for the ballistic response.

I’ve hunted my whole life and seen pretty much everything animals can do to each other (including people.). But finding our little man like that was a disturbing sight I can’t unsee. Still, no excuse.

I’m barely in the city limits and right on the edge of an ever-shrinking rural area. My house backs up to an Oncor right of way about 125 yards wide by 600 long and woods at either end. We get deer feeding right up to our back fence (which is what we thought he was barking at), turkeys from nearby river bottoms, and pretty much everything else native to the area.

Unfortunately, it’s still the burbs and some of my yuppie neighbors (especially next door) would freak at the notion of someone shooting coyotes (unless, of course, it had been their dog.)

I have no illusions of eradication (that’s impossible) but just cap one or two to let the bastards know they’re not at the top of the food chain anymore. They’re smart enough to stay away after that. Then possibly repeat annually as needed.

And yes, some payback for our little man would be extremely satisfying.

What I envisioned is getting them as close to the back fence as possible (maybe baiting) and shoot down from an elevated position. to avoid skip ricochets. No long-range sniping.

I’ve killed a few coyotes while deer hunting, or that answered my turkey call, but never actually hunted them, so I have no idea if that would work. I suspect though, that these suburban dogs would be a lot less wary than their cousins out in the country who get shot at regularly.
    Sounds like your on the right track. Damn yuppies...

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Pretty big penalty "if" you get caught. Firing in a city will have big issues if someone sees and reports you. Might want to consider a thermal scope too as night will be your friend in this kind of endeavor.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I don't usually condone shooting without earpro, but I was shooting 158gr 38 specials out of a levergun without earpro and they didn't sound any louder than a .22lr out of a rifle. I doubt they were traveling supersonic. Might be another consideration of getting a levergun in 357/38 and suppressing that. Just as quiet but more energy.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I don't usually condone shooting without earpro, but I was shooting 158gr 38 specials out of a levergun without earpro and they didn't sound any louder than a .22lr out of a rifle. I doubt they were traveling supersonic. Might be another consideration of getting a levergun in 357/38 and suppressing that. Just as quiet but more energy.
    Another good option. My buddy just got his 1895 threaded and brought it over the other day. With his Hybrid 46, it was stupid quiet with 158 gr cowboy loads.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Mine's in 44 mag and stupid quiet with subsonic 300gn handloads.

1631660525933.png

Gorp2007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    I’ve got a Ruger American Rimfire and a Sparrow. When paired with the CCI Quiet ammo it’s quieter than a pellet gun. Neighbors wouldn’t know a thing, especially if you fired from inside.

Tejano1951

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    For coyotes at ranges 75 yards or less, perhaps what you need is a .25 cal PCP air rifle. Many are available with a built in or detachable moderator. While some folks, not me, spend thousands of dollars, you certainly don’t have to spend that much. I am used to Springers, but a moderator is far more effective on a PCP. The beauty of it is that you can avoid the federal tax stamp and wait time.

Top Bottom