• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Remember seeing one of these on a showroom floor when they first came out. Always wanted one, either the Hemi or 440 six pack.

Well out of my price range now.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/richar...ird-heading-to-auction-and-the-skys-the-limit

bird1.jpg

Attachments

• bird1.jpg
      bird1.jpg
      160.5 KB · Views: 313

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    When I was 16, I walked up on one at a small used car lot in Kingsville.
    I am not positive, but I think they were asking between $10-15k.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I remember the Superbird cars when they first came out. We would pass one in traffic from time to time. What stands out in my mind are two things. How imposing they look with the accompanying rumble. But I also remember that the nose was almost an afterthought. There are few cars that have been sold with such ill fitting parts. The body alignment was horrible, and appeared to be assembled by careless workers.
    The ones you see nowadays have all been worked over by professionals. They also inspire the same envy that they did 50 years ago.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    That's what I remember about them. The horrible workmanship. Nothing lined up correctly and the nose was a joke. I guess the jokes on me as they seem to be serious collectors items.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    A kid in high school had a new yellow one when they came out. All of the street racers laughed at it and thought it looked craptacular.

They didn’t seem to understand that it was made for racing different from the 1/4 mile.

I believe I only saw 3 different ones in Dallas during that time; besides that yellow one was an orange one and also the blue.

Never did see the Dodge Daytona which was basically the same car.

Longhorn1986

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    I remember in the late 1970s-early 1980s one for sale in either the Greensheet or Auto Trader one something like that for $5,000. Admittedly, that was a lot of money for a 16 year old kid back around 1980, but man I wish I could have bought it!! I have been in love with the Superbird/Charger Daytona for as long as I can remember.

I remember seeing one or two in Florida and ironically, give the road salt & rust, several in Cleveland, Ohio. The last one I remember in Texas was on Long Point in Spring Branch some 30+ years ago. All together, I don't think I have seen a dozen in the wild in my 55 years.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    There was a red Daytona in Lewisville in the '80's and I guy from Denton that I used to work with has a blue Superbird right now...that he drives from time to time.

Coop's Dad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2018
    Lorena
    I worked at a small garage in high school and a regular customer brought in his Superbird for oil changes. It had a 440/4 barrel with a pistol grip 4-speed and a license plate that said "SLANT 6". As others mentioned, the fit and finish on the nose cone was pretty amateurish but I was enraptured by it. The owner told us the fin was "aircraft aluminum" and showed how it wasn't just bolted to the body but was actually attached to the frame. The highlight of my day would be the rare times I got to either drive it in or out of the shop.

Top Bottom