• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texasislandboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    SA
    Pardon my ignorance (I live out here in the sticks)........what's a Suomi?
    f1m31.jpg

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I had one for a bit and just sold it yesterday.
    They are fun as hell to shoot, two things to note though.
    1) Yes the drum mags are cheap and awesome (Centerfire systems was selling them for 19.99) however, they were made to function with heavy crimped ammo, there is no feeding ramp, the whole idea is to slap the round hard enough from the mag and it will launch itself into the chamber. With most factory loaded ammo, I had a lot of trouble with this stuffing bullets back into their cases, the best remedy is to get a crimp die and put a heavy crimp on every round or just use stick mags. The stick mags were 100% reliable, the drum mag would crush about 7 out of 71 rounds, causing a malfunction of course.

2) There is a break in for them. The parkerizing on the bolt is very thick and needs to be worked by firing a bit before it will cycle smoothly and reliably.

And a special side note, don't expect rifle accuracy, I got a 6" group at best out of mine at 50 yards, that's why I sold it. Along with TNW's (the manufacturer of these) crap service. After 50 rounds my barrel and shroud were wobbly mated up to the receiver, I e-mailed them the day I noticed it and they said they would send out a shim to fix the problem, 1 month later, no shim, sent another e-mail asking about the shim, 1 month after that, no shim, this went on for 2 more months up until now and still no shims.

As a result, I sold the gun for what it was, a cool looking gun.
    I bought a few parts kits from Centerfire Systems with plans on eventually building an atf approved semi-auto out of so it wasn't heartbreaking to get rid of it.

There's a lot of history in them and the original design was built better than a rock. there's just a few problems with the way that tnw makes theirs. Problems that can be worked out over time and with a bit of patience.

Just keep all that in mind when you're looking for them.

texasislandboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    SA
    thanks man mind me asking what you sold it for and i have a press and i can do the crimp die that would be quick and fast for the amount of fun they would be to shoot

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I sold it due to the lack of accuracy. I'm just a much bigger fan of my Marlin 1895g for the work I bought the suomi for.

Top Bottom