• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Macshooter new guy question, do you only put NFA items in the trust or do people use the trust to own other firearms as well?

I'm no lawyer, and the specifics of whether or not that is a good idea would depend on how your trust is written, and I would definitely pay to have a gun trust lawyer draft you up a quality document, and ask them about it. But in general, you can assign just about anything you want to a trust, it just needs to be written to accommodate the type of asset you want to put in it and be in compliance with state laws and all that.

I recently got an email from the lawyer that did mine offering new type of addition to existing trusts with language specifically to include the rest of my collection, I can't remember the details, but there was some advantage to it, to protect the collection if the laws change in the future or something. So definitely yes, you can. To me it seems as easy as adding them on an assignment sheet that you sign in front of witnesses or get notarized, same as you do with a can or an MG. Then they become property of the trust. However, for reasons I can't remember, it was recommended that I not do that for the rest of my collection at the time I had mine done, and use the NFA trust only for NFA items. But like I said, talk to a lawyer (maybe Sean Cody up at the top of the page) that does gun trusts, and have him draft one for you instead of doing a "quicken" trust. (those work, but it's better if you get it done right, specifically for NFA stuff) And tell him what you'd like to do as far as putting other guns in there and see what he recommends.

Last edited:

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    The American Silencer Association (American Silencer Association) is doing some good work to try to get the process modernized however the budget issues in Washington are not working in our favor. They are trying to get approval for the industry to fund a modernization of the process.

Frankly the process, even if the NFA stood as it is, should be hours not months. This is compounded if people are repeat buyers. My trust has 9 NFA items in it, they have approved my trust 9 times.. I should have a card that shows I have an approved trust and pay my 200 bucks via credit card and get my tax stamp almost instantly. How many copies of my trust do they really need to store (45 pages per transfer). It is not like there are many changes. Maybe they need a copy of my amendment now that I moved and got married so added my wife. This is something else I should be able to submit online.

This is f*@king 2013 and it is ridiculous to have all of this still on paper. The fact is that they don't want us to own regular guns, much less NFA gear.
    So if the ASA is doing work up north, why are we not writing people to say "hey, I paid for my tax stamp 10 months ago, WTF is taking so long? after all its a TAX" to people who "work" for us? my state rep and I had a good meeting about this. he agreed 100% but he flat out told me that it would be easier to smuggle drugs across borders without getting caught than it would be to get enough people in congress to change this to our favor. IF, and a big IF, the ASA could pull off the funding to speed up the process, how much do you think it would raise the cost of SBR and Cans? seeing that we already spend hundreds and thousands on these toys, what's another $5 bucks added to get it done? BUT, what I could see happening is companies getting greedy and pocketing more cash from this.. who knows.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    So if the ASA is doing work up north, why are we not writing people to say "hey, I paid for my tax stamp 10 months ago, WTF is taking so long? after all its a TAX" to people who "work" for us? my state rep and I had a good meeting about this. he agreed 100% but he flat out told me that it would be easier to smuggle drugs across borders without getting caught than it would be to get enough people in congress to change this to our favor. IF, and a big IF, the ASA could pull off the funding to speed up the process, how much do you think it would raise the cost of SBR and Cans? seeing that we already spend hundreds and thousands on these toys, what's another $5 bucks added to get it done? BUT, what I could see happening is companies getting greedy and pocketing more cash from this.. who knows.

From the guys I talk to at the ASA, including Joshua Waldron, CEO of SilencerCo, they feel as if it is in the best interest of their business to help speed the process. I wouldn't expect any kind of raise in prices to fund this. They would probably hit up ASA members, just like the NRA does, to help fund it. But the guys in the industry are all NFA owners themselves, and while they get to use the gear the whole time it is awaiting transfer because it is registered to their employers, they also hate the long wait times for transfers and see it as an impediment to their business growth.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    ANYONE with any type of common knowledge would accept an offer like that. The .Gov can get a system upgrade that makes them look good yet not have to pay for any of it; what more could you want? but I honestly don't see it getting far at all. because if the Gov allows this to happen then they would have to allow this for any type of project. and once the ball starts rolling, there are more groups controlling the Gov than ever before. not to mention the headlines on that one: Government allows special interest group to speed up the process for more people to get full auto's and Stealthy shortened rifles.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    They have about 40-45 thousand applications and only 5 people working 4 days at the office and one at home, that is what my dealer said today when I picked up my can, took over 7 months.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What does it actually take to process the paperwork? What do they do?

Also I don't think those numbers add up. I'm getting ready to send mine in and am dreading the wait.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    What does it actually take to process the paperwork? What do they do?

Also I don't think those numbers add up. I'm getting ready to send mine in and am dreading the wait.

I don't think they do anything more than the dealers do when you purchase a pistol or rifle. its just there are thousands of others in the checkout lane before you. kinda like going to walmart on black Friday! an easy solution would be to have you fill out the form, put your fingerprints on it at the shop attached with some type of photo and then continue on like buying a normal firearm. background check done right then and there. all your paperwork could be done on the computer so if there is an error, the system will catch it, much like Cabelas. BAM problem solved.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Or atleast people with their CHL bypass it. Then, when they buy NFA item, the dealer is authorized to print out their stamp for them, after their is proof of mailing in your moneyto the feds. Let the gunshop do the background checks and use something like nics

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom