Join TexasGunTalk

Strange Things Found While Afield Hunting or Fishing

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by Glenn B, Feb 19, 2020.

1. sergeant69

sergeant69 Active Member

Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    when i was a kid we used to go mule deer hunting around marfa and the big bend country. as in walking up and down mountains hunting, not sitting ina tree house waiting for bambi to stroll by. one time in the 60s next to a dry stream bed i found a bunch of pottery shards and arrow heads etc in an area about 20 x 20 ft. my dad made me leave it all there. was fun to pick up and look at though. we used to go to hueco tanks in the 50s and 60s between el paso and carlsbad new mexico and sift the dirt for arrow heads etc. found a lot. days gone by.

Glenn B and Southpaw like this.
  2. Glenn B

Glenn B Well-Known TGT Supporter

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    My son went out snake hunting on a friend's property yesterday. It was a nice day for it but I suspect too soon to hunt for snakes other than maybe Garter Snakes that come out early in the season.

IMG_2750.jpg IMG_2751.jpg

He did not find any snakes but he found some bones I am guessing are a deer pelvis:

IMG_2753.jpg

He also found a blue tailed skink that I believe is a Common 5 Lined Skink, Plestiodon fasciatus:

IMG_2754.png

He also found something else. The something else beats anything I have ever found while out and about herping, hunting, hiking, or whatever:

FullSizeR.jpg

604727340.jpg
    604727350.jpg
    Too bad it was not in better shape but the land gets flooded now and again when the Arkansas River rises and the gun sure looks like it was under water for awhile. At least the grips seem in good shape, what a testament to Pachmayr grips. He put the gun into a bath of white vinegar to clean it up some. Told him to be careful in the event any live rounds are in it; I doubt they would still be good but why chance an accident.

I am guessing that is a Dan Wesson revolver; it looks like the Dan Wesson 715 from what I can make of it. If that is correct then it was in the mud or under water for quite the while since the 715 is stainless steel. Somebody lost or threw away a nice gun.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    crzy_one, orbitup, TreyG-20 and 3 others like this.
  3. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    More likely a Dan Wesson 15-2.

Southpaw, TxStetson and Glenn B like this.
  4. Glenn B

Glenn B Well-Known TGT Supporter

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    I only saw the 715 on their site but I also figure it was probably a blued version. My son cleaned it up enough he can see some spent casings in cylinder where is sticks out partially on the left.

5. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    When I was about 12 or 13 yrs. old, I found an airplane microphone out in the middle of nowhere (somewhere outside of Breckenridge). My father said he had heard of an airplane crash around there many years ago. We didn't find any other evidence of a crashed airplane. Spooky!

TreyG-20 and Glenn B like this.
  6. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Anyone ever find Space Shuttle Challenger parts? Land owner I know found some strand alloy part, when I ask if he called it in his comment "Why in the phuc would I want the federal goverment crawling all over my place?"

TxStetson, Southpaw, Reinz and 2 others like this.
  7. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Good answer!

TxStetson likes this.